Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #1
surfisher

Off Topic - Desalination Plants?

I haven't been able to find a solid article on whether or not these plants are good or bad for the ocean, besides surfrider foundation claiming it will kill everything in the ocean. Interested to read more about it considering there is a plant going in right at Carlsbad.

Can anyone point me to a good article and/or mention thoughts on this?
Thanks ...
Old 07-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #2
spicolly

I believe this topic will be one of those, "the truth is somewhere in the middle." There are links available from the CBad construction teams, which promote their environmentally safe approach, including their stewardship. Also, I am finding contradicting articles (though older - can tech play a role to make it better?) that shares the destruction that can occur to an ecosystem. Would be curious to see what you and others learn/share.

Thanks!
spicolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:15 AM   #3
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

I just hope there's some generators I can sell them!! LOL.

On a serious note though, its about time they put some here in SoCal. Seeing that we suck everything out of the aquaduct to support farms where they weren't meant to be, and the rest of our water goes to growing alfalfa which we ship to China, to feed the cows that we end up importing to support our beef consumption.

But hey, at least we're employing some Chinese people, and get cheap (questionable) McDonalds burgers in return!!
Old 07-21-2016, 12:13 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfisher View Post
I haven't been able to find a solid article on whether or not these plants are good or bad for the ocean, besides surfrider foundation claiming it will kill everything in the ocean. Interested to read more about it considering there is a plant going in right at Carlsbad.

Can anyone point me to a good article and/or mention thoughts on this?

Thanks ...

Going in? Like future tense? Must be a second one because my wifes best friend has been working at one in cbad for a long while now. The pipes run way out into the ocean and underneath cannon road to the plant. I doubt this theory of killing everything in the ocean is factual. The girl that I know who works there is very eco-friendly and would not even accept a job offer there if that were the case. My guess is people are bitter about the cost of water going up in that area to fund the plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #5
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
I just hope there's some generators I can sell them!! LOL.

On a serious note though, its about time they put some here in SoCal. Seeing that we suck everything out of the aquaduct to support farms where they weren't meant to be, and the rest of our water goes to growing alfalfa which we ship to China, to feed the cows that we end up importing to support our beef consumption.

But hey, at least we're employing some Chinese people, and get cheap (questionable) McDonalds burgers in return!!

FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:09 PM   #6
surfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Going in? Like future tense? Must be a second one because my wifes best friend has been working at one in cbad for a long while now. The pipes run way out into the ocean and underneath cannon road to the plant. I doubt this theory of killing everything in the ocean is factual. The girl that I know who works there is very eco-friendly and would not even accept a job offer there if that were the case. My guess is people are bitter about the cost of water going up in that area to fund the plant.

Not sure why i typed 'going in' .... Good to know though. I personally don't see a problem with the plants, just was curious to learn more about it.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:21 PM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfisher View Post
Not sure why i typed 'going in' .... Good to know though. I personally don't see a problem with the plants, just was curious to learn more about it.

This might help your study.

http://carlsbaddesal.com/Websites/ca...Plan070308.pdf

YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #8
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

De-Sal Plants

There are two major concerns when it comes to de-sal plants, first is the intake pipes, they suck in water which includes fish larva, some other small fish, planktonic plants and animals etc. and secondly is the affluent, which is hyper saline water. To mitigate impacts from the intake the de-sal operator is required to offset those impacts by creating habitat for spawning adult fish and growing larval fish. They are also responsible for monitoring their hyper saline affluent at the discharge point to ensure that it doesnt not have adverse effects on the ocean location. Overall I see it as a net positive activity, sure there are some drawbacks, but water is only going to get more and more scarce and de-sal plants and recycled water plants are the way of the future. PLUS the restoration of coastal wetlands means more habitat for baby fish, like seabass, and halibut and calico bass, more available suitable habitat is a great step in helping restore these fish stocks. We are not talking small pieces of land here, we are talking acres and acres of newly restored or created wetlands, and eel grass beds. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask, wetland and coastal lagoon restoration is my favorite part of my job, so I love talking about it.
Cheers,
Bernie

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:01 AM   #9
taggermike

I toured the desal plant when it was still a small pilot program. If it hasn't changed inlet and out fall, then it's taking water from the powerplant's effluent cooling water. Warm water is better for RO. The brine outfall is then put back in to, and diluted in, the much greater volume of the powerplant's effluent.

Almost all removal of raw sea water will result in killing plankton and larval fish and invertebrates. The rapid warming of the cooling water is fatal to much of the creatures passing thru the plant. The amount of additional damage caused by the desal plant is minimal as it's using the plant's outfall.

As for the brine out fall. If you've seen the flow between the Warm water jetties it's 1000's of gallon a minute. The brine is ejected in to, and diluted by, this much greater volume exiting the plant.

Any damage caused by the power plant's effluent water is from thermal changes to the water. A slight increase in salinity would have a negligible or even unnoticeable impact on the environment.

Many people oppose all coastal development on principle and create dooms day scenarios that will result from any change. If the desal project was stand alone and it's effluent was ejected in to an enclosed body of water it would have a negative impact. As is the brine is ejected with a massive volume of seawater in to a surf zone where it will be thoroughly mixed. Pockets if Deadly brine are unlikely to form. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:08 AM   #10
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

What choices does Southern California have for fresh water? At least for the short term future, it would appear desalinization plants are one of very few options regardless of environmental impact. SoCal is at the end of the water pipe. A plant the size of the one in Carlsbad can produce water for about 100,000 homes. How many desalinization plants are going to be needed and who(and how) are you going to pay? I'm sure everyone who lives on the coast will want a desalinization plant next to their million dollar home.

No one knows for sure the long term impact of brine disposal and warm water discharge is going to be, any environmental impact reports are nothing more than educated guesses or motivated by political or financial interests. Ocean warming in certain areas can be devastating to plant and animal life, even if the water temp is higher by only a degree or two. Jacking saline levels, who knows?

Thirty million people(maybe twenty nine million since at least a million have moved to Portland, OR) living in the desert with no significant water resources, not sure what the expectations are.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:26 PM   #11
taggermike

Well said ronbo. All of So Cal is a horrible location for a megalopolis. Looks like we're committed tho. Desal is expensive and provides little water Vs conservation that saves money and water. It is going to take a fundamental attitude shift in water users to make things better. Water doesn't come from the tap and it does vanish down the drain. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:19 PM   #12
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

We have water shortages here and I can see a snow capped mountain from my porch, much of the US southwest is going to have major water related challenges.

For water salinity change implications, see what is happening in the Sea of Cortez due to the Colorado River being sucked dry.