Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-14-2019, 07:02 AM   #1
etolentino13
Junior

Clicker tension while trolling macks

Is there a way to add tension to the clicker in free spool so that my live mack isn’t pulling line? I’ve been using an Accurate Tern 400. I possibly lost my first yt from the yak being ill prepared. My reel was in gear with the drag loosened enough to keep tension on the bait. I got picked up but between tightening the drag and trying to clear my other line, it got unbuttoned. Bait came back whole, stiff, no bite marks. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
etolentino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #2
FISH11

Most of the the time that the line gets hit and there was a very short run and the mac looks crushed but has no teeth or cut mark. It was likely a yellow hitting it from the side a did not actually swallow the mac before letting it go. I have had at least one per trip in the last 4 times at LJ lately. It seems that with all the red crabs they are eating they have not been really committed to taking and swallowing the mac. If you don't have a lever drag reel were you can just add the slightest amount of drag to the clicker, then engage the clicker leave it on free spool and take the line at the reel and wrap it around the back of the reel and rout it under the reel frame. This add an extra amount of friction that will prevent most macs from constantly pulling line. Once you get hit and the clicker is screaming you just reach and pull the line from under the reel frame to it normal position, count to 5 and engage the reel into gear. Hope this helps. Tight lines!
Old 06-14-2019, 08:30 AM   #3
fishnfoool

Use a rubber band and cinch the rubber band around the line and rod. This will give it more friction.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #4
skrilla

Yellows will sometimes crush fin bait before coming back around and committing. Let it sink another 30 seconds in next time.

Otherwise with star drags I troll in gear at a lite drag setting. No clicker, it's like a dinner bell for sea lions and an invitation for surrounding anglers.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
etolentino13
Junior

Thanks all for the great tips! Seeing everyone hooking up with all these nice fish lately has got me jonesing to get one... in due time. It’s only gonna get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
etolentino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

rubber band is safest bet, I gamble and loop my line back over the handle to add that extra resistance. works for me
Old 06-16-2019, 01:46 AM   #7
stevie951
Lurker

Small Treble hook in the rear tailing the front single hook in the mouth/nose FTW

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote