Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Bass Fishing Discussion

Old 08-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #1
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

Anyone with Lake Castaic Experience???

Hey there Bass fisherman, I am going to be up in LA County for work next week and I am going to be about 30 minutes away from famed Lake Castaic. Has anyone here fished the lake? I have heard that huge trout glide bait will catch the monsters, but I would rather go with quantity, over chucking a $65 7oz lure 1000x's (if i wanted to do that I'd go fish for muskie). Any info would be great, thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers, Bernie

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:54 AM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

I know alot of the boaters troll a california version of the alabama rig with very good results for stripers. If you're a bait and wait guy then cut sardines will get you some bites.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:28 AM   #3
WARRIORMIKE

The lagoon is great too. Not sure how the water level is now. Something worth looking into for sure!
WARRIORMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:00 AM   #4
King Saba

The lagoon will be better if you try early in the morning or in the evening. The fish don't hug too close to the shore during the day. Who can blame them though? It's HOT out!
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:07 AM   #5
tattuna

Was there Monday (upper lake). Water level is good again but the water is coffee brown. TONS of micro bait everywhere. Save the big baits and throw spoons or jerkbaits for more action. Trolling jerkbaits works good too. Stripers are usually active the first hour or two and there's a lot more structure for bass with the rising water level. Good luck!
Old 08-03-2016, 07:55 AM   #6
Kayak_Bernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattuna View Post
Was there Monday (upper lake). Water level is good again but the water is coffee brown. TONS of micro bait everywhere. Save the big baits and throw spoons or jerkbaits for more action. Trolling jerkbaits works good too. Stripers are usually active the first hour or two and there's a lot more structure for bass with the rising water level. Good luck!
I am only able to go in the evening, would you say it would be better to focus on bass in the lagoon or Stripers in the upper lake ??

Thanks so much for the info!

Safety Director
Old 08-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #7
tattuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak_Bernie View Post
I am only able to go in the evening, would you say it would be better to focus on bass in the lagoon or Stripers in the upper lake ??

Thanks so much for the info!
I'd definitely fish the upper lake. Evening is great for stripers too, the later the better for stripers. Bass fishing is great on the upper lake. I'd fish for bass and keep my eyes open for birds and boils. The coves to the right of the launch in the fish arm hold bass and stripers come in and out of them all day. The Lucky Craft 100 SP in any gray/white or shad pattern is hard to beat for putting fish in the boat, but you have to upgrade the hooks to 4X size 4, and the split rings to size 4 or 5 Owner Hyperwire rings in order for them to handle bigger stripers. I've caught lots of DD stripers on that set up.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:08 PM   #8
Robert79
Junior

try the lower lake if your on a kayak its been more stable. the upper lake has came up 50-60 vertical feet within the last few weeks. fish are scattered everywhere with no real pattern its been junk fishing my last few outings. LOTS of trees and brush to get snagged on and/or brake off. drag a drop shot or weightless senko in and around the brush... good luck
post a report
Robert79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

Managed a couple LMB on swimbaits in 55-60 feet a few weeks back.

http://zerolimitfishing.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=15
Old 08-17-2016, 04:38 PM   #10
M4TT

Castaic used to be my go-to until i remembered how much better ocean fishing was..

Upper has always produced more for me but thats not saying there aren't toads in the lagoon (cue Butch Brown video).

your best bet is Carolina rig with an artificial crawdad. An alternative would be dropshot with a shad pattern bait. These usually produce dinks with the occasional 3+lber.

if you get bored of the guppies and was a 5lber+, go with the robo-worm EZ Shad (SXE Shad color). I caught my pb with it.

Good luck
M4TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:38 PM   #11
45user

does the lake allow kayaks? I don't remember seeing any kayak the last few times I've been there
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:24 AM   #12
tattuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45user View Post
does the lake allow kayaks? I don't remember seeing any kayak the last few times I've been there
They do allow kayaks. Just make sure it's bone dry or they won't let you launch. Also, check the weather before you go. They're pretty strict on denying boats and yaks if it's windy.

I've been renting boats the past few weeks and doing ok on schoolie stripers with a few bass mixed in on jerkbaits.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:54 PM   #13
45user

Quote:
They do allow kayaks. Just make sure it's bone dry or they won't let you launch. Also, check the weather before you go. They're pretty strict on denying boats and yaks if it's windy.

I've been renting boats the past few weeks and doing ok on schoolie stripers with a few bass mixed in on jerkbaits.
Thank you for the info!
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:46 PM   #14
Kayak_Bernie

Quote:

Well I learned this one the hard way, went out to fish a couple weeks ago and my SUP had a drop, I mean one drop of saltwater or condensation and they told me that I could not launch. What a joke!! Parking fee, inspection fee AND a launch fee. Not worth it to fish a couple hours after work. I remembered why I don't fish freshwater out here, nickel and dimed on a public lake.. Bunch of BS if you ask me.

Safety Director