Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
Knewidea
Junior

Gaff, Landing Net, Lip Gripper

I'm new at this. Are all three necessary?
Knewidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

I only sport the gaff
Old 06-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
Dave k

Depends on what you're fishing for.

Yellows, wsb, etc. you'll need a gaff.

Lip grippers are great for toothy fish like halibut or lings that are too small to gaff.

For bass and rockish just lip 'em with your thumb.

Personally I don't like dealing with nets on the yak, but I believe the DFG regs require that you carry one.
Dave k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
momo fish

I'm new, but for me yes... Gaff was first thing I purchased.. Grip lipper 2nd..landing net I don't see the need but have one.. Once I'm comfortable I probably won't lipper ..
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
Dail14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave k View Post
Depends on what you're fishing for.

Yellows, wsb, etc. you'll need a gaff.

Lip grippers are great for toothy fish like halibut or lings that are too small to gaff.

For bass and rockish just lip 'em with your thumb.

Personally I don't like dealing with nets on the yak, but I believe the DFG regs require that you carry one.
Yea I only carry the net because it is required. You do not absolutely have to have the other two but the gaff will sure make it easier to land anything over two feet in length. Generally you can either lip bass with your hand or swing them into your lap to land. Other species such as halibut and yellowtail will make you miserable if you don't have a gaff to sink into them.
Dail14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
JarrodMc

Gaff. I will probably buy the Boga grips soon
Old 06-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
Drake

Gaff for big fish, grippers for things like ling and sculpin. Never had a net
Old 06-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
jorluivil

I carry all three.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:16 AM   #9
kareem korn

I think a landing net is required by law.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
Knewidea
Junior

Thanks for all the info. I'm off to buy a gaff. Hope I get to pull in a big Hali.
Knewidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #11
zinkysd
Hobie Fishing Team

A net is required By DFG. It's about a $200.00 ticket if they site you.
28.65(d) No gaff hook shall be used to take or assist in landing any finfish shorter than the minimum size limit. For the purpose of this section a gaff hook is any hook with or without a handle used to assist in landing fish or to take fish in such a manner that the fish does not take the hook voluntarily in its mouth. No person shall take finfish from any boat or other floating device in ocean waters without having a landing net in possession or available for immediate use to assist in landing undersize fish of species having minimum size limits; the opening of any such landing net shall be not less than eighteen inches in diameter.
It's always nice to have a gaff with you.

Ken
Team Dana Point Jet Ski
Old 06-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
I'm new, but for me yes... Gaff was first thing I purchased.. Grip lipper 2nd..landing net I don't see the need but have one.. Once I'm comfortable I probably won't lipper ..
A word of advice; a 18" net minimum net opening is required on all fishing boats or floating vessels fishing saltwater according to DFG regs. (Primarily for the safe landing & release of "short" or out of season game fish.)
Personally I carry a gaff, boga grips & ARC DEHOOKER (for toothy critters) along with a net.

DFW: 28.65(d) page 43

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...cumentID=42130

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 06-11-2013 at 12:36 AM. Reason: DFW: Definition for landing nets for vessels
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #13
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post
A word of advice; a 20" net is required on all fishing boats fishing saltwater according to DFG regs.
One thing I'll add to that is that the term Landing Net has still I believe not been fully defined by the DFG. It's like it used to be with hoopnets where almost any size netting with a hoop used to be a legal hoopnet, any net with a twenty inch opening legally constitutes a landing net.

I just looked it up and this is what the DFG said about it a while back.

According to Lt. Todd Tognazzini:

"a landing net has a minimum diameter of 18 inches and no maximum diameter. There is no specific legal definition of a landing net. The only difference between a landing net and a dip net is mesh size, but there is no legal requirement on mesh size either. As long as it is only being used as a landing net, it would be legal."

So if you have an old landing net, or even a hoopnet, and you can take the riged frame parts (the ring and handle) off of it just leaving a net bag that is easy to store, and it still meets the legal requirement.

Personally I carry a Gaff, a Gripper, and a Net Bag which I also use game bag for storing fish like divers do. The advantage of the bag is it stores below deck, and it really does make a good fish bag .

So I use a gaff in saltwater, a gripper in freshwater, and honestly I just use my net for storing my catch.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 06-10-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #14
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

i ALWAYS carry my gaff with me (even when i know i wont catch any big fish). and i also carry a 10" fillet knife along with 3 other misc knives. no gripper and no net.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #15
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
re: reference previous post on this subject. If I remember correctly someone took the time to quote chapter and verse specifically the DFG regulation last year. I remember looking it up and as soon as confirmed I went out and bought a 20" PROMAR net.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote