Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
dorado50

LJ Shores 6.22.07 am.

Went out this morning , plenty of bait off the kelp. Nothing going on until about 8:45 and all hell breaks loose!. The Dolphin was pulling in yellows!. I changed out my geeen mac for a spanish on the flyline and just as it hit the water it gets picked up. At first it felt like a 12# yellow and after it realized that it was hooked it took off big time, this was no 12#er. Went straight down to kelp came out and took me for a ride to the main kelp. Look up and see the kelp line and a seal fast approaching, "oh my god" was all I could say. Could not put enough brake on this fish , definitly one of the bigger LJ fish I've ever hooked into. Well ,I lost concentration for a split second wondering where the seal was that my line just broke at the hook, too much drag as the fish entered into the kelp .Bummed out until the next time.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #2
Corey

Heartbreaker. I hate those breakoffs that leave you wondering. Get 'em next time Dave.

I scrapped my morning plans after being out on my buddy's boat too late last night.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
dorado50

I was looking for you on the beach this morning and on the water for advice on how to land that that See you next time Corey.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Sorry to hear about the break off. Those big mystery fish are the worst. I'm sure you'll get another one soon to make up for it.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
ratdog

Sorry to hear that, almost exactly how it happened to me yesterday.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:49 PM   #6
dorado50

Hey Tyler, Thanks for the good words. An old friend of mine would tell me everytime we would go fishing " You might only get one shot at a fish today, don't screw it up". I always approach my day with this in mind, and I think it has helped me land most of my fish, however on occasion,such as today the fish wins!! And I'm a sore loser!!
Old 06-22-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
Corey

I always think of it like this: If the fish didn't win sometimes, it would get boring. Don't you think?
Old 06-22-2007, 03:16 PM   #8
dorado50

Corey, I like happy endings!!! But what a challenge to fight a fish bigger and stronger than you are, and come out victorious.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:21 PM   #9
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Corey and esdees saw me do a routine a couple days ago. I still haven't made up for it, still bitter. It's another great reason to keep fishing. If we could go out and get limits everday it wouldn't be a challenge. When fishing for wsb/yt in LJ one hookup is the difference between a bad day, and the fish of a lifetime. I have the same thought often, you may only get one shot that day. It is such a fine line most days. I try to make sure my knots are good, hooks are good, no nicks in the line, good spectra on the reels, good drags and so on every trip. That way I can try to make the most of every chance, and still knowing if I do everything right the fish can still win.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #10
madscientist

It's funny, I can't really remember the details of most of the fish I've caught. But every big lost one sticks in my memory. I'm with you Dave, I hate to lose fish. I'd rather not hook up. I'm not sure which is worse, losing in the kelp not knowing what it is, or losing at gaff when you do. Both hurt, but in their own way. That's why I always bring beer.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:46 PM   #11
dorado50

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
It's funny, I can't really remember the details of most of the fish I've caught. But every big lost one sticks in my memory. I'm with you Dave, I hate to lose fish. I'd rather not hook up. I'm not sure which is worse, losing in the kelp not knowing what it is, or losing at gaff when you do. Both hurt, but in their own way. That's why I always bring beer.
We are for sure on the same page here !! Everytime I think of a lost fish, big or small, I get a sick feeling. Yea, lost fish are always remembered. If I don't bring a beer, I probably brought
Old 06-22-2007, 03:52 PM   #12
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
It's funny, I can't really remember the details of most of the fish I've caught. But every big lost one sticks in my memory.
Bingo

Old 06-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #13
Dan

Been there D50........It's true, those are the fish you remember the most....
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:18 PM   #14
yellowtail55
The Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
my line just broke at the hook, too much drag as the fish entered into the kelp .Bummed out until the next time.
My friend also had one break off at the hook around the same time.
yellowtail55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:10 PM   #15
aclozer

I had a simular expierence myself. Hate to hear it.
aclozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:32 AM   #16
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

There are a lot of sharks out lately.. At least, that's what I keep telling myself...
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:11 AM   #17
bigeye

agree

Fished from a pb on wednesday, at dusk my son hooks a fish out in the kelp in front of b rock was on the fish for about 20 minutes when I looked down and could see it was a homeguard around 50+#s. No bs. at 45 minutes the knot at the hook breaks . He's 16 and a veteran YT fisherman and knows that Mr. is an escape artist and takes it in stride. I've talked to some people that have been seeing some big fish out in the middle of the beds.
bigeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:26 PM   #18
Lit-up1

Fish escapes when you see the fish are the worst-
I lost a big WSB in the kelp three years ago and I still can see it's tail going away from me after I blew it going for my gaff.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:35 PM   #19
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Last year, at a time when all that we were catching were yellowtail, I had a double hookup, one on my 30lb rig and one on my 40lb setup. I loosened up the drag on the heavy rig figuring the 40lb line would hold em.
I landed about a 20lb yellow on the light rig and quickly released him and picked up the 40lb setup and started the battle. After a ten minute tow I started to get some line when I felt a couple head shakes and SNAPOLA! The fish didn't get lost in the kelp and a knot didn't come loose. A big ass fish snapped my 40lb test line.
Every time I don't get anything big, I always think of the double hookup and the big one that got away.
Like the one-armed fisherman said "It was THIS BIG!"
Old 06-25-2007, 07:55 AM   #20
Sherm

I can still see the big homeguard I lost to the knothead a couple weeks back. I can still see it hanging out of this seals mouth.

I HATE THEM SO MUCH!!! (the preceeding sentence should be read in your best Homer Simpson voice)
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote