Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
CKallday71

Dorados on the Yak?

Looks like someone found the first Dodo of the year 9NM off Newport yesterday. How long till they are close enough for us to target off the yaks? I know a few years back (Maybe 15 really my judgment of time is terrible) during an El Nino year we were catching smaller Dodos in the kelp in sight of San Onofre power plant.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/sou...rt-dorado.html
Old 07-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

saw some guy waving the dodo flag on his way in from newport today.

i wouldn't bother chasing dodos or kelp paddy yt in a yak unless it was ridiculously wide open and a weekday where a boat doesn't run you over trying to get to the paddy before you.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
Jimmyz123

I think a couple of years ago the 1/2 day boats off La Jolla were catching some, small ones, but they were getting them.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
JarrodMc

Last year they came within 2 miles out of Carlsbad. The spearos did ok on them
Old 07-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
fishsouthcounty

the fact is, you are paddling. These boats are driving. Its not a big deal to pick up from a dry paddy and move on to the next one.

When you kayak out 3-5+ miles and find a paddy thats dry....you really want to paddle further for another that might be dry? Also, unless you have other boats to follow/spot and encroach for hot paddies, your ass on the water aint the best tuna tower.

And like vincentek said...good luck not gettin run over or waked out your boat by the crowds.
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
taggermike

There are some hurdles to catching dodos from the. First they'e often not even here. Sscond, they rarely come yak distance from the beach. Third, if they do itt will be mad house. And forth, hunting for paddied 3 feet above sea level is about a waste of time. Can it be done, sure. I've caught dodos in el nino years in 100 feet of water off the childrens pool. If conditions are right theywill come in there again. Just don't hold your breath. If you want to target and actually catch dorado off a kayak go to the east cape. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
lamb

What you see in the background just little under 6 miles out form the launch is LJ, PB and Point Loma. On the other side of the rod is lil' 10# dodo hen.

Years ago, we mothershiped mini-yak on my lil' boat and had a lot of fun.

It can be done, but you've got to be careful. IMHO, off-shore is no safe place for a kayak, unless mother-shipped.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ighlight=dodos
Old 07-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
Zed
BANNED

Go get 'em!

Adi take this in the best possible way.
Mothership, my eye.
That is such a cheater move it doesn't bear mentioning. Might have been on water wings or a pool noodle if you're going to MS w/in sight of land. Why even get in the water, once you found them? Might as well just fish them.

Me and CaboJohn take at least one 20+mi offshore paddle every Summer --and are planning our next shot w/in the next few weeks. It's roughly a triangle w 7mi legs. I advise to leave early (being ~5mi off by sunrise), be very visible (a flag is good), have all your safety gear in order including flares and horn, and don't get in over your head! 7 miles is an average to light day at LJ. Now triple that, with constant paddling and very little "fishing". When the water's right (Aug-Sep) there are yt and dodo and yft w/in yak range. Just don't take looking for them lightly. And mothershipping to them doesn't count.

Zzz
Old 07-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
cabojohn
PROBATION

Lightbulb

The holy grail of kayak fishing (for me) is being able to paddle out from terra firma (Orange County Beaches) and coming back with YFT and/or Dorado. THIS is what keeps my butt in a kayak!
Having the exotics within paddle range is exciting but having thousands of Dorado boil all around you and HUGE schools of YFT right under your yak in OC will give any angler a boner. ha

Zed- Its ON brother.

Last edited by cabojohn; 07-17-2013 at 09:43 AM.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
lamb

Zed,

I hear you. It is unlikely that I would ever get worked up by anything said by any of the folks that have 2005 in their BWE join date.

Personally, I've never had a strong stand on the whole mothershipped kayak versus launched from the shore. I recognize and respect the fact that other folks do. That one is as old as the Waders of Death.

For me, I don't even care what I'm on - hooking and landing that fish is the part I'm attracted to the most... Now - hooking, fighting and landing any of those fish from a kayak versus from a boat IS a different experience, both being fun. Given the nature of offshore game, and the fact that it's all about covering ground to see/find that situation where you may score, I just feel kayak is highly disadvantaged. Instead of finding and playing with that offshore fish, your biggest challenge is actually making it there, and making it back safely. And you better have your shit in order for that, and years of experience under your belt, to pull that off. Sure thing that you and John do, but vast majority of people that may be bouncing these ideas now likely don't.

There has been these offshore trips in the past, search forums for more dope. If you go, make sure you are ready for it, have safety gear, be ready to be paddling a ton, be ready for the winds and currents you'd have to deal with. It is no easy drill.

I am just trying to make sure we don't read about any of those kayak offshore trips in the news...
Old 07-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #11
Famous2146

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
Zed,

I hear you. It is unlikely that I would ever get worked up by anything said by any of the folks that have 2005 in their BWE join date.

Personally, I've never had a strong stand on the whole mothershipped kayak versus launched from the shore. I recognize and respect the fact that other folks do. That one is as old as the Waders of Death.

For me, I don't even care what I'm on - hooking and landing that fish is the part I'm attracted to the most... Now - hooking, fighting and landing any of those fish from a kayak versus from a boat IS a different experience, both being fun. Given the nature of offshore game, and the fact that it's all about covering ground to see/find that situation where you may score, I just feel kayak is highly disadvantaged. Instead of finding and playing with that offshore fish, your biggest challenge is actually making it there, and making it back safely. And you better have your shit in order for that, and years of experience under your belt, to pull that off. Sure thing that you and John do, but vast majority of people that may be bouncing these ideas now likely don't.

There has been these offshore trips in the past, search forums for more dope. If you go, make sure you are ready for it, have safety gear, be ready to be paddling a ton, be ready for the winds and currents you'd have to deal with. It is no easy drill.

I am just trying to make sure we don't read about any of those kayak offshore trips in the news...
What wold you recommend someone do for conditioning? I consider my self to be in great shape and am interested in doing or joining an event like this.
Famous2146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
Zed
BANNED

^Stupid answer, but:
Paddle a lot.

Try 2hours of paddling then rest/rebuild and 2hours back. That should put you at 12-16miles. Then try 3 reps. Its like running or riding you get in the zone and time just passes w/o much thought. In the trips I've done, the final leg with a following push/pull mixed windswell will work you, hard, harder than you would think. Like running with a chute that deploys/folds over and over.

As said, it's not for everyone. ADD/ADHD need not apply. Those that hate the "Beautiful day for paddling; fishing sucked" type of reports, need not apply. It's a crapshoot in a big ocean. I always fished, but love paddling so either way I'm happy. The worst part (to me) is having the cigarette-type boats inside of you doing, 60+mph on the Dana->Newport run, but they rarely get their asses in the water by 1000. From Dana you will also be in the lanes for Avalon day-trippers. Beware. They also don't get out before 1000.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
Famous2146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
^Stupid answer, but:
Paddle a lot.

Try 2hours of paddling then rest/rebuild and 2hours back. That should put you at 12-16miles. Then try 3 reps. Its like running or riding you get in the zone and time just passes w/o much thought. In the trips I've done, the final leg with a following push/pull mixed windswell will work you, hard, harder than you would think. Like running with a chute that deploys/folds over and over.

As said, it's not for everyone. ADD/ADHD need not apply. Those that hate the "Beautiful day for paddling; fishing sucked" type of reports, need not apply. It's a crapshoot in a big ocean. I always fished, but love paddling so either way I'm happy. The worst part (to me) is having the cigarette-type boats inside of you doing, 60+mph on the Dana->Newport run, but they rarely get their asses in the water by 1000. From Dana you will also be in the lanes for Avalon day-trippers. Beware. They also don't get out before 1000.
Sorry I'm new at this but when I said I'm in shape I can run 10-12 miles and still swim 2000M run a military obstacle course 3x with flack Kevlar and rifle and still manage to go back and encourage my fellow peers. I think I'm in good shape but that's just me.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #14
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
with flack Kevlar and rifle
You won't need any of that. lol
Quote:
I think I'm in good shape but that's just me.
What did you ask for? Just for the general populace?
In shape or not, paddle a lot. Someone could run tri's once a month but never paddle a kayak more than once a year, and I wouldn't invite them to go.

Maybe you should just tow me 20 miles, with all that conditioning on Uncle Sam. heh

Thanks, famous!
Old 07-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #15
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Can you and your partner paddle, pedal 30 miles up wind in 10-15 knots of wind, if yes you are in pretty good shape. If not you might wind up in mexico. Pre- plan what you would do if anything happened, how would you get home? Have lot's of fun, be safe and live your life to the fullest!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #16
Famous2146

Got it paddle paddle and paddle some more check and double check safety gear and always expect the worst. Above all else be safe and have fun.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #17
chris138
donkey roper

I went about 7 miles offshore one time with the scallywag in a tandem Hobie. There was a school of greenback that kept heading west so we just followed it hoping for YT or YF. Before we realized it, we were off of OB/ point loma area and had to peddle our asses all the way back up to LJ against the current. No GPS, but for sure nearly 20 miles covered that day in about 14 hours. We didn't bring nearly enough nutrition.

Not to mention the only thing we caught on the greenbacks were 2 massive mako sharks who didn't have much interest in fighting on the line. They just swam straight in to our "boat", after jumping 8 feet in the air repeatedly. This happened twice, we would cut the mako off and they would just keep following us for the next hour, circling and free jumping to see where we were. Super gnarly. I regularly spearfish the kelp... and I have never felt so vulnerable while fishing.

Have fun out there and be safe!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #18
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

most i've gone is 6-7 miles off shore. thats about where you cant see land anymore and just make out high risers. you would be able to see la jolla no problem though. just make sure you have enough food and water/gatorade to keep you going. keep your skin covered and stash your cell phone in a dry bag or container and keep it on you and make sure you have all other appropriate safety gear.

its really not that difficult. I wouldn't do it alone but its definitely worth doing. also if you get pushed north or south too far and get tired, make a beach landing anywhere along the coast and you can taxi it to your truck. the buddy system is ideal here so you don't have to find a taxi willing to load a yak on top. haha.
there aren't many places along California coast you would get stranded. Even if you landed on white beach.. somebody will come to see who you are.