Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which is best kayak dolly for cheap?
Amazon Pneumatic 6 46.15%
Amazon Non-Pneumatic 1 7.69%
DYI Bulletproof 4 30.77%
DYI Waterman Natwork 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #21
Jacurley45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoyScout View Post
Ha you're cool...
I just learned not to be a cheap ass...
Glad your hours of time aren't worth 32 bucks haha
Then what's your answer? :-) I'm just trying to figure out an effective but cheap cart without breaking the bank as I just spent a grand and half investment of pre-owned Revo.

I have to buy a hobie livewell as well. If the cart sucks & breaks... At least I can weld them back together and use until I have enough money for good one. My $$ into livewell is atop of my priority list.
Jacurley45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #22
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacurley45 View Post
Then what's your answer? :-) I'm just trying to figure out an effective but cheap cart without breaking the bank as I just spent a grand and half investment of pre-owned Revo.

I have to buy a hobie livewell as well. If the cart sucks & breaks... At least I can weld them back together and use until I have enough money for good one. My $$ into livewell is atop of my priority list.
I've been using the DIY for six months now without breaking it.I'm thinking of firing up the ol tubing bender and making one like the Boodox landing gear..
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:33 PM   #23
ctfphoto

The DIY is a good one and won't break, it's bombproof and finds the fulcrum (very important)

Wait, well I did break mine, but it fell off my roof rack on a cold morning and shattered. Fixed it in minutes back to bombproof. When my 2015 outback fell off my roof rack, parts broke as well. Shyt happens.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:03 PM   #24
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
What plan did you used or you made I on your own? Picture?
I went to a hobie dealer and measured a universal cart, then modified it to perfectly fit the stealth and x-factor hulls that I had.
cartstudiouniversal04sm__04065.1383164995.1280.1280.jpg
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:28 PM   #25
Jacurley45

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I went to a hobie dealer and measured a universal cart, then modified it to perfectly fit the stealth and x-factor hulls that I had.

Attachment 18272

Nice, now I'm planning on making my own as my boss said that he will help me with making a cart of my own by this week. Can't decide between the universal version or something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009V6..._1455479159800
Old 02-15-2016, 09:16 AM   #26
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Quote:
Impressive! ALL PVC? Or with wood dowels as support?

As for the 3rd world sweat shop employee, they can definitely do it better as it takes constant practice on the daily basis to perfecting the welding method! I can do it pretty well but not as good as I don't do it for a living.
All PVC. I guy emailed me and told me that stuffing the PVC with packing peanuts made it stronger, give something like that a try if you think it would help.

The company in China that makes that Amazon cart sends me emails through my website to buy them for resale. You can probably buy three or four of them through Alibaba for the price of one at Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoyScout View Post
Ha you're cool...
I just learned not to be a cheap ass...
Glad your hours of time aren't worth 32 bucks haha
As with all the kayak rigging articles on my website, they are only one way of doing things. Hopefully, they will serve as a starting point for others to do their own thing.

What I can't do is explain to a closed minded idiot the satisfaction you get from making something with your own two hands. In this case, I wouldn't say you are a "cheap ass", just a plain old run of the mill ass.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:54 AM   #27
Jacurley45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
What I can't do is explain to a closed minded idiot the satisfaction you get from making something with your own two hands. In this case, I wouldn't say you are a "cheap ass", just a plain old run of the mill ass.

Haha thanks for great tips regarding to peanuts. I'm going to make one from either steel or thick aluminum. Will keep this thread posted with my project
Old 02-16-2016, 11:09 AM   #28
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Regular steel will rust, go with stainless if you can. The Harbor Freight rims will rust too, plan on replacing them every few years or find some plastic hubbed wheels.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:27 PM   #29
Jacurley45

HF wheels are cheap so its not a concern. Can't weld a stainless as that will require a special welder which we don't have. I will spray an enamel paint on it and renew the paint job every once awhile to prevent a corrosion. That's why ill prefer aluminum if I can.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:55 PM   #30
maquinapescado

Quote:

I have a Hobie heavy duty cart ("good one") I am about to weld because IMO it is an over priced POS. Now I am sure there are people with tons of trips and no problems, but I am not one of them. Keeper pin broke second trip and the cross bar above the axle completely came out............welds broke.

Moral of my post, you want to make one, more power to you. Sounds like the power wheels one is the way to go. Just cause you buy a good one doesn't mean it is going to be bullet proof. And bait is way more important.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:38 PM   #31
Jacurley45

Quote:
Originally Posted by maquinapescado View Post
I have a Hobie heavy duty cart ("good one") I am about to weld because IMO it is an over priced POS. Now I am sure there are people with tons of trips and no problems, but I am not one of them. Keeper pin broke second trip and the cross bar above the axle completely came out............welds broke.

Moral of my post, you want to make one, more power to you. Sounds like the power wheels one is the way to go. Just cause you buy a good one doesn't mean it is going to be bullet proof. And bait is way more important.

Have you thought about using the collars instead of the pins? That might alleviate some issue that you had.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:30 PM   #32
Fish Taco

Not for everybody, as it is pricey... but breaks down easily to fit inside the yak, and for hauling deeper-V hulls like the Malibu Stealth, or for the Hobie guys... this might be worth considering. Pretty much the best of both worlds if you ask me.

Redondo Beach, CA
2011 Malibu Stealth 14
Fish Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:05 PM   #33
wwkf

Cart

Copper tubing is more rust resistant 1/2 I'd =5/8 o'd perfect for most wheel
Bearings
wwkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:20 AM   #34
Jacurley45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco View Post

Not for everybody, as it is pricey... but breaks down easily to fit inside the yak, and for hauling deeper-V hulls like the Malibu Stealth, or for the Hobie guys... this might be worth considering. Pretty much the best of both worlds if you ask me.

Now that's the polar opposite of what I am trying to do! LOL, my hourly wages are still in its teens so I am a long way from being able to spend some absurd amount of $ like that.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:25 AM   #35
Jacurley45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkf View Post
Copper tubing is more rust resistant 1/2 I'd =5/8 o'd perfect for most wheel

Bearings

Agreed but it lacks the strength that I need it to have as for the cart. Especially if I'm using it to help someone else's PA 14 or other heavier kayaks.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:18 AM   #36
svendawg

Beef it up

Quote:
Agreed but it lacks the strength that I need it to have as for the cart. Especially if I'm using it to help someone else's PA 14 or other heavier kayaks.
I put a 1/2 steel axle from Home Depot inside the copper tubing to beef up my axle. It was able to carry PA-14's without any issue
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:00 AM   #37
Jacurley45

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendawg View Post
I put a 1/2 steel axle from Home Depot inside the copper tubing to beef up my axle. It was able to carry PA-14's without any issue
Not bad idea! Got your PM, I'm sending my reply.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #38
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

You guys made a cart out of copper tubing rather than PVC? That should work nicely. Just as easy as PVC DIY and probably a lot stronger. Use some 1" heavy wall pipe and fittings and a little solder, steel axle, good to go.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:26 PM   #39
jorluivil

Stop wasting your time and get a wheelez cart, you'll thank me later

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:49 PM   #40
jruiz
Large Member

What you can do is heat up the axle real good with a heat gun or torch and push it through the hull. The plastic will seal perfectly around the axle. You'll never forget them at home and almost impossible to steal.

jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote