Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
KneeDragger
Junior

Talking New kayaker!

I just wanted to introduced myself to the forum and ask a few questions while I'm here . I just recently bought a Cobra Marauder xf and I'm now in the search for a new reel and rod set up to go out off la jolla. I pretty new to ocean yak fishing, but have a lot of experience with bay fishing. So i would like to get opinions from you guys that are more exprieneced on what would be an ideal set up to fish for the calicos in the kelps to yellowtails or wsb. I've been looking into the Turner's California rods with the daiwa lexa 300 or the shimano 400b. I would like to keep my budget below 350 for the combo. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated! Oh and I'm currently prepping my kayak by building a live well and equipping it with a fish finder, so the rod and reel combo would complete my set up.
KneeDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
stephenG

I really like the shimano Torium reels. I have a 14, 16, and 30 and all preform top notch.
stephenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
easyday

Welcome to the addiction
Old 07-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
Jellyfish
Junior

I recently got a penn spinfisher V with a penn carnage rod. and so far i love it. suppose to be water tight... well we will see at the of the of summer haha.
i got the 8500 just in case i need lots of drag and i put 25 pound on it. hope to catch something big!
Jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
Famous2146

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragger View Post
I just wanted to introduced myself to the forum and ask a few questions while I'm here . I just recently bought a Cobra Marauder xf and I'm now in the search for a new reel and rod set up to go out off la jolla. I pretty new to ocean yak fishing, but have a lot of experience with bay fishing. So i would like to get opinions from you guys that are more exprieneced on what would be an ideal set up to fish for the calicos in the kelps to yellowtails or wsb. I've been looking into the Turner's California rods with the daiwa lexa 300 or the shimano 400b. I would like to keep my budget below 350 for the combo. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated! Oh and I'm currently prepping my kayak by building a live well and equipping it with a fish finder, so the rod and reel combo would complete my set up.
Welcome I'm a nub as well tons of info here so pick there brains.
Famous2146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:50 AM   #6
MrPatrick

Noob= new guy
Nub= Irishman with a sad wife
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
bigbarrels

Been through quite a few different set ups and my favorite set up is the one I currently use. It can handle anything you run into at La Jolla and would fall within your budget

Cal Star: West Coast Series- 7 foot rod with 20-50 lb line rating

Diawa Saltist 30 with Lever Drag and 6:1 ratio

Star drag versus lever drag? Other people may give info on one or the other but I really like the lever drag and have it on another Saltist of mine..........I also have a Saltist with Star drag but either way they Saltist 30 is pretty sweet......my wife started to haze me a little when the Saltist 30 came in the mail and I just told her that reels to me are like shoes for her......that was the end of the conversation

Good luck

Last edited by bigbarrels; 07-10-2013 at 07:34 AM.
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
Famous2146

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPatrick View Post
Noob= new guy
Nub= Irishman with a sad wife
I do apologies for this dam spell check
Old 07-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #9
MrPatrick

Dam= holds back water
Damn= expression of frustration or anger

Just bustin' your balls,
Old 07-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #10
MrPatrick

I'll leave apologies alone.........
Old 07-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
tacmik

Head on down to squid co. Just tell them how your fishing (kayak) where and what fish you want to target. What your budget is and they will set you up. Great shop and knowledgeable employees. They will do you right.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
Famous2146

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPatrick View Post
Dam= holds back water
Damn= expression of frustration or anger

Just bustin' your balls,
It's ok no worries I have a sense of humor and I don't get upset easy.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

lol. you guys are hilarious.

anyways, WELCOME TO THE BOARD! knee dragger... is that short for dropknee on a bodyboard? i used to sponge a lot but never got the hang of DK.

as for rods and reels. do you want to be fancy and flashy or have something that does the job? toriums are nice, i personally like the daiwa sealine more because i can cast further with it and its a bit smaller and cost less. for rods.. you can go with a cheaper route of the e-glass rods. i've seen plenty of used decent ones for under $50 on craigslist.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
JarrodMc

Welcome to BWE. Turners might still have some of the 2012 Abu Garcia Toro 50s. I had a Lexa 300 and between the 2 I like the Toro better for casting and reliability. I had issues with corrosion on my Lexa
Old 07-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #15
Hunters Pa

Hit up Fishaholic http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/member.php?u=110 He has tons of used gear in great shape and have yet to hear a bad review from anyone who has bought from him.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
KneeDragger
Junior

My definition of Knee dragger actually means getting low in a turn on a sportbike to the point your actually dragging your knees. My second hobby. haha. I'm pretty much looking for a set up that will do the job, but in quality.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #17
KneeDragger
Junior

On another note thanks everyone that gave their input. I didn't expect that many responses this quick, shows that you guys are active on this forum! As of now it looks like im looking into the lever/star drags just because it holds alot more line than the low profiles incase i need it. The toriums and daiwa saltist are nice reels, both reels i've heard good feedback from.

We'll ill let you guys know what i decide on in about a wk. I'm going to do some more research and see what i like best and also visit a couple tackle shops like squid co. and see what they say. Until then keep the recommendations coming! I was also looking into the humminbird 561 recommended by a friend. any thoughts on it?
Old 07-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #18
Famous2146

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragger View Post
My definition of Knee dragger actually means getting low in a turn on a sportbike to the point your actually dragging your knees. My second hobby. haha. I'm pretty much looking for a set up that will do the job, but in quality.
Way and where do you ride? I as well ride street and it's my Second passion.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #19
t-$money bussard

ill stand by the turners californian calico specials any day i own 2 of em the 9' 15-40 and the 8' i think its 15-30 forgot owned em for 7 years now cant see the labeling anymore rod leashes wore it away on the 9 is a sealine 20 sl the graphite spool edition and the 8 i have the quantum energy pt hands down my favorite 2 rods that i own
t-$money bussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #20
MrPatrick

T-$money, feel free to mix in some punctuation..............