Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #1
FISH11

LJ Yellow 8-17-15

After reading all the post of an epic weekend, I was all pumped up when I went out yesterday, Monday to LJ. Started out all overcast and no wind just after first light, surf was small. Paddle out to just outside the kelp and found bait balls and made bait fairly easy. That was a big difference from the last 3 weeks. Paddled out trolling a 10" greenie and thought it strange to not see any seals out in the calm water. Kept trolling the mac due west and the north, no bird action anywhere. Finally heading back south I get hit at 8:20 am. After a 8 minute fight with him I see color. He pulled super hard and was heading straight down every change he got but we were further out than any kelp on the bottom so the fight was shorter. A few trips ago I had already decided that unless it was a PB, I would not keep it. When I got him along side I could not pull up on the rod high enough to grab him by the gill plate, so finally I grabbed the leader and slid him up and over my lap. Rolled him over and took out the hook with my hand. I tried to hold him up high enough to get some good video from my rear mounted Go Pro, but the sucker was heavy and hard to hold up high enough to get him up next to me. I guess he was about 24lbs. You know Go Pro's if it's 1 or 2 feet further the fish looks 3/4 the size. After the video capture I released him and he was out of the water no more than a minute so did not need any assistance and was quickly gone. Trolled around all over and the wind picked up strong all I could hook up with until I paddled in at 1PM was the same 9 foot Hammer Head that kept cruising the area. Hook him up 3 times, the first time he was on and fighting deep for 3 minutes before he cut the 40lb fluoro leader, the next 2 time he was at the surface and thrashed quickly and cut it quick. That sucker now has a bunch of circle hook bling. After the third time I figured he had scared any fish from the area and was time to head in. Here are a couple of stills from the video on the release of the Yellow.
Attached Images

Last edited by FISH11; 08-18-2015 at 09:41 AM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
Murray

nice release
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
rhyak

nice going.

rhyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #4
surfisher

YEA FISH! I was out there, we got skunked haha. That wind was fucking crazy! We went south in front of the condo's before calling it quits. I could only make spanish macs and none of them seemed like they wanted to swim. Alex got a nice one. The wind wouldn't allow us to move faster than .5mph south. I saw a few great boils and got bumped on the iron but no connections. Next time ....

Stoked on the release! Congrats again!
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:43 PM   #5
GregAndrew

Nice fish Fish, and nice release.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:25 PM   #6
Cbad Mike

Great report!
Thanks for taking the time.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:07 PM   #7
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfisher View Post
YEA FISH! I was out there, we got skunked haha. That wind was fucking crazy! We went south in front of the condo's before calling it quits. I could only make spanish macs and none of them seemed like they wanted to swim. Alex got a nice one. The wind wouldn't allow us to move faster than .5mph south. I saw a few great boils and got bumped on the iron but no connections. Next time ....

Stoked on the release! Congrats again!
I started out with only 8 spanish and then got 4 large (10" greenies) just west of the kelp and about 35 feet down. I wished I had started south first, because when the wind kicked up it was blowing straight north and could have helped coming back it. I kept trying to head south and fighting the wind and chop straight on and could only manage .5mph on normal paddle and 1.0 mph if I paddled real hard. The wind was so fucking bad it changed the incoming swell from going east into part of the north bound chop. white caps and waves breaking over the side of the kayak. I had to put on my splash gear so I wouldn't get soaked and cold. All in all it still beats the best day at work. HA HA HA
Old 08-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #8
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
Great report!
Thanks for taking the time.
Thanks Mike, see you Saturday at Tidelands for HOW.