Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
JNAST13ST
Living Da Dream!

Broke off today at LJ

Sorry no pictures cause he manage to snap my 30lb floro and stayed out of the yak! But got up close and personal with my first thresher hook up today. 0940 in about 115ft drifting north, live Mac carolina. I have a question too. He look around 6ft how do u get the beast back to shore or kill him?
Old 07-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

6ft to fork or end of tail? Smaller ones to 4ft fork length I just grab the tail and drag them up and unhook it. Then just slide em back in. Never caught a big one.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
Cbad Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNAST13ST View Post
Sorry no pictures cause he manage to snap my 30lb floro and stayed out of the yak! But got up close and personal with my first thresher hook up today. 0940 in about 115ft drifting north, live Mac carolina. I have a question too. He look around 6ft how do u get the beast back to shore or kill him?
Good question....
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

well.. there are several ways of landing a shark depending on how confident you feel. if you KNOW you will be keeping it and eating him later.. here are the steps.

batshit crazy: powerhouse it to the yak, grab its tail when its still angry, stab it in the head a few times, grab its head and yell at it, tie rope on its tail, tie other end to back of kayak, slit its gills, drag it back to shore.

very confident: tire it out, get it close to yak, turn it around, grab his tail, yank it half way on yak, tie its tail up, tie other end on back of yak, slit its gills, paddle back home while it bleeds out.

semi confident: get it REALLLY tired, then it get even more tired, then hold grab its tail and yak it half way on the yak, and let it sit there not moving so it cant breathe, then do what the confident guy does

semi scared: tire it out, get it close to the yak, attempt to remove hook or cut line as close to hook as possible, let it swim away.

scared shitless: find out its a shark, cut the line loose or attempt to braek it off.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
Rotten Chum
Does it Really Matter

Vincent....I am F'ing rolling. That is some funny shit. I am going for middle three on first catch, then maybe batshit after that.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Option 5 works for me, I don't mess with sharks and they don't mess with me.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
JNAST13ST
Living Da Dream!

It was at lease 6ft tip to tip and thanks for the advise
Old 07-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

good video...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNAST13ST View Post
... I have a question too. He look around 6ft how do u get the beast back to shore or kill him?
J, Here's a video that should give you pretty good idea of what to do... http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...25&postcount=1

RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
taggermike

Thanks for the vid, that was a smoothly executed landing of a shark. Good to have a partner too. I don't eat, fish for, or ever want to hook another shark. So of course I hook them often. The safest way if I really was targeting big sharks solo would be to set up a flying or breakaway gaff. Maybe even attach it to one of those red hoppity-hop looking buoys. Hit the shark with the breakaway, toss the float and let him bleed and gas out towing the buoy around and them land it on the rope. You might have to paddle home with the fish in your lap. A mirage drive might make this damn tough. overflowing in the tank well, strapped to the side or towed
off the back?? Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
JNAST13ST
Living Da Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
J, Here's a video that should give you pretty good idea of what to do... http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...25&postcount=1

Perfect, so take a knife next trip
Old 07-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
TJones

listen to vinsentek

he knows what he is talking about.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote