Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2006, 12:07 PM   #1
Mike K.

La Jolla 9-1 A.M. Report

Soft sand at the launch and had to help a big black pickup stuck in the sand. Spoke to Jim sammons for a minute. Although I've been fishing on my yak quite a while, we've never met so, nice to meet you Jim. Launched in the dark and headed to the pier. Greenbacks in the 6-8 inch range under the lights but a little slow pickin's. Got 8 or so and headed out. Fairly good breeze out of the NE early on, water felt a tad colder and there was a thick marine layer. Good part was that there was llttle swell and the launch and landing were no sweat. Got to the usual spot in 60-70' off the condo but no luck. No one was having any action so I headed out to deeper water. Possible thermocline?...metered fish out in 75-90 feet. First the weighted rod goes off and up comes a nice fish. Don't have a scale but estimate 13+ lbs. Set out again and withing 15 minutes the low rig goes off again, this time a nicer one estimate 18 +. Time about 7:30. Trolled around a bit more and found two more biters on the top rig this time in about 70', both nice fish. Done by 9:30 with holiday Hamachi on board. Spoke to a few people on the way in and things seemed really slow for most trying the other usual areas. Fair amount of people out but not too crowded and met a couple of nice guys I haven't spoken to before. Can't speak for the current cause I didn't make it out past the point but my area had little except for the wind drift. i've never posted pics before but I'll try...hope they come out

Old 09-01-2006, 12:46 PM   #2
BIG MO

Hey Mike,

I was the moron that got the truck stuck in the sand. I really appreciated the help you and others gave to get the truck out of the sand. You guys rock! Looks like you mustered some good karma with the four yellers. Good job!

I was one of the ones that was in the usual spots that came up empty. Except for a big calico, it was slow. Still nice to get out though. Way to improvise and catch some fish. Kevin
BIG MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #3
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

That bottom YT has some shoulders... did you disect the stomach?
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:21 PM   #4
Kevin

Nice haul mike! That is quite a first report. 8)

Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
lamb

Very nice, congrats.

You likely did the best today. All the people that I talked to didn’t have much to report – rat here and there. Overall, it seemed much slower than yesterday.

Steady 7-8 was blowing from the West. I think I saw you on your first fish and paddled that way. Right after you landed it, I got double hookup going. One came unbuttoned, I landed the other rat and cut him loose (hey, 15 points insurance ). Then my bait tank failed (2nd time in 10 days or so)… All of my 15 or so beautiful greenies rolled… :cry: 6V battery is really nice, much more quiet, but I’ll probably be going back to my 12 V. Not sure what the deal is - the pump is still buzzing, but no water flow... and it's not priming, more like battery is too weak. I don't dig this dead bait thing.

Current took me out of the zone in 50’… I combed that having hard time to find bait. Scraped a few and trolled back for no excitement.

Good luck to all on weekend.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
bigderel
UberMember

Nice to meet you out there today Mike, and thanks for the weight. Like many others I didn't have any YT success (plus my bait tank took a dump on me early as well) so I paddled south and pulled on a few calicos shallow. Nice day, it was my first LJ jaunt in awhile (hey, I live a whole 10 minutes away, it's a long trip ops: ) and the current wasn't horrendous for the paddle back from south so I can't complain. Mike, here's your on the water shot, if you want a higher res version let me know and I can email it to you.

TL, Andy

bigderel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:26 PM   #7
Mike K.

Thanks for the pic Andy, hope to get a few more good days before it all shuts down. Looking forward to lobster season though. All fish semed to be males and didn't get much info from the guts...pretty gooey digested stuff...no fish or squid.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:36 PM   #8
kareem korn

Nice

Goodjob brutha . It was the seabass . Epic day for you no doubt. Even tho I have nothing to show for today, I got to end it with a killer halibut lunch, and three slabs of smoked salmon @ point loma seafoods. Beats the 107 heat here in Hemet today...

-Tim-
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote