Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

Just another Whale tour...

While it's hard to argue that size doesn't matter, regardless of what she told you. I've found, mainly from my time on the internet---people just love to argue. It's almost as if it's become a sport unto itself, no? Kind of like the simple practice of being safe and using common sense on a kayak. It's a new sport; haven't you heard? And apparently there's plenty of eager folks, armed and ready with an opinion, educated or not---for the next fence post that will listen. You know that saying argue with a fence post?

It's one thing to stand up and be proud of something you truly believe in. Take our freedom for example. Many, many lives have been lost to preserve our rights we enjoy today. For those who have risked their lives to do, well, exactly that---preserve our freedom---I'll take this opportunity to give a sincere, thank you! Then again, it's another thing entirely to argue for the sake of arguing. Which is what I see more often than not, these days. Pure comedy, from an outsiders perspective. At least, for a while. Then what might seem funny at first, looks more and more, well, sad.

I don't know, maybe that's just my perspective? A perspective from the jaded view of surfing everyday, for hours on end, at multiple spots according to the tide---the past few months. If you haven't poked your head out of that cubicle lately, it's been going off! Enough so, that I've shed most of that extra internet-weight. All twenty to thirty pounds of it. Which certainly helped get my mind off the stagnant, overly bait-rich fishing conditions this Winter suffered from. Most internet-fisherman could probably care less, but without question, Winter is my favorite season to fish for Pelagic species. And no matter who you are, this Winter was tough to say the least.

Like most folks, I've never seen conditions like this (buried in squid)---for so long.

I remember being of the opinion that, there's no such thing as too much bait. Well, I was certainly wrong in that respect. And this season proved that, over and over again. To the point where I simply told guys to wait for better odds of success---and dare I say, quit fishing for a while. In hindsight, that could have been the best thing that ever happened to me. It built up that fire inside, again. The fire to scan open-water for days on end, with zero signs, looking for that one little clue. There's been days over the years, when a couple meter marks, at a certain depth, would decide the trips of glory the following days. Days, that other anglers get to join in on the fun---without all the work involved. Yes, productive fishing for Pelagic species requires a significant amount of work. Hard work! Especially, consistent productive fishing for them. If this is breaking news for you---I'm sorry to burst your bubble.

The good news: If you've read this far, in the fishing reports forum no less, listening to some guy rambling about unrelated topics---you just might have what it takes. Anything's possible, right? Just like your parents told you---you can be the president of The United States if you put your mind to it, Johnny! Apparently, you have the ability to bob and weave through the bull-$h!t. Which unfortunately, is a big part of life.

I left the house, bright and early yesterday with a plan. A plan, to enjoy all of God's creation. And again, I was humbled by what I saw. In short, it was magnificent! Breathtaking at times, really. I felt humbled by the sheer beauty of another incredible sunrise. The moon was replaced by the sun as the offshore breeze blew me to my intended location. With the help of the Hobie Mirage Drive, of course. A couple of times the Lowrance HDS raised my pulse, as giant Whales breached in the distance. Some of which were massive, while others were clearly new to the pod. This might be one of the few cases when bigger isn't necessarily better. The smaller Whales always bring a smile to my face, but I'm sure someone out there prefers to watch the larger models. Perhaps we could start an internet debate about that? Sounds like a good time, but I'll just watch from the sidelines as usual---I'm not a fence post! A few giant herds of porpoise, much like the Whales, reminded me how small a six foot, two hundred pound man really is. In the grand scheme of things---we might as well be a mere, grain of sand.

I'd strongly suggest the Whale Tour, but then again ---this is my kind of Whale!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
WahooUSMA

Damn.......Niiiice

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Haha...that thing is sick.
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
Kaijuu
"Floater"

Nice Whale

That's a beautiful whale you got yourself.
Kaijuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

It's almost as long as your gaff!!! Very nice!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Ndavissd

Exceptional

Moving from that literary post to that result !!! Writing like like you fish excellent ... Thanks for the story and pic
Ndavissd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
krmaxima

omg very nice fish
krmaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #8
bellcon

lost 20-30 lbs... Looking good!

Gained ?lbs of WSB looking even better!

Way to go brother Josh
Old 02-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
StinkyMatt

Nice phot, congratulations!

Forcast for this weekend:

300 kayak guys chasing whales!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
Pescavore1

Whale done!!!

Will you start offering whale tours too?
Pescavore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #11
T-Rex

Very nice biscuit!
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #12
GregAndrew

entertaining as usual. That photo of the squid seems to pop right off the screen! Is that a humpbelly whale?
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #13
Amish Ed

NICE! Glad to know others around here surf too. But, this winter's surf has left me wanting. I only get monday and tuesday to surf and/or fish and it seems like I'm always getting fading swells. Urgh
Old 02-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
driftwood

Arrow

Never argue with an idiot.The people watching might not know the difference. Who's got time to argue when there so much fishig to do and so little time?

There's a fresh one!!!

Nice Job Josh.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #15
Rav3n805

Nice write up...and
Rav3n805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #16
herbo

A great write up!!!!!! fantastic pics, keep 'em coming.....H
Old 02-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #17
TCS

Nuke the gay whales for jesus!
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #18
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
I'd strongly suggest the Whale Tour, but then again ---this is my kind of Whale!
whaled said
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #19
Nic D

that there is the White Pacific Sea Whale Bass!

Lets see:

√ Black hat
√ Blue yak

I pretty close to ya, I might just get one this year! and if it happens to be like that, I just might quit fishing!
ok lets not get carried away.

Great fish Josh. weight?

Last edited by Nic D; 02-08-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #20
dorado50

Now thats putting the whopper back in BWE!! . I admire your perserverance. Can't wait to post up my first this year,if I can remember how to catch!. Conditions are slowwwly changing.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote