Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
bellcon

Big Hobie Peddlers

Not ready to give up the paddle quite yet
but the tingling in my hands after 14 hours of paddling
has me thinking about it again...

My question for big guys:
or for those that know:

I am 6-4 240lbs with long legs...
Are there many Hobie guys out there this size?
I have tried them all, but it has been awhile
the outback seemed like a barge and even when I had the peddles adjusted for the longest legs and it still seemed short to me...

The revo seems nice and more of "real" kayak
I think the adventure may be my only real choice
(the pro angler is out of the question)

so any help?
I am familiar with all the advantages / disadvantages
Just looking to see how many big guys are really peddling
and how comfortable they are...

What say the peddlers?? (or the kayak shop guys in the know)
Thanks
Don
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
WahooUSMA

Revo

Don,

I am 6'2 and 250lbs...and the Revo is the only ride for me. While the Adventure may be a little more stable (so I have been told), I have never felt uncomfortable or unstable in the Revo. My recommendation, should you choose a Hobie - Add the turbo fins and rudder.

I had an X-Factor and while nothing against paddling, I will never go back!

Roger

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
flydigital

6'1 and 250 here on the Revo, my favorite yack so far. Its plenty capacity for me and a full load of gear either live bait fishing (with 7gal hobie tank) or hooping with 5 nets. At 6'4" you're going to need to use the last position on the pedals (7). The hobie pedals have a habit of rubbing the side of the deck near the full-forward position when in position 7, but removing the foot straps and cutting off the strap peg on the side solves the problem. I myself use position 6 most of the time (more leverage and power) but occasional use 7 when slow trolling, its less fatigue.

I switched to pedal because of pain and tingling associated with paddling, I was concerned that the Revo would not be enough capacity for me and my gear - but after demoing, it was a non-issue. Its about the same stability as any other 14-16 foot yak out there.

Good luck with your decision.. you should go out and demo one (again) and see. I highly recommend the turbo fins, sailing rudder and the comfort seat pad!
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
Gino

I was going to say, Talk to Damian! but he found you first!

I dont like the Hobie becuase i dont like how you sit in them. The Pro Angler looks cool, but they got to coem down in price.

Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
erinoo

Hey Buddy...Can't believe your going to start peddling rather than paddling...going to the dark side, huh.. Gettin old sucks..Although I'm not as large as you, only 6'1" and 200 lbs of lean body mass the Revo suits me fine..for fishing purposes I'll keep peddling..I'm still trying to talk Joy into one, I'm tired of her calling me a pussy..Eric
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
Kiyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinoo View Post
Hey Buddy...Can't believe your going to start peddling rather than paddling...going to the dark side, huh.. Gettin old sucks..Although I'm not as large as you, only 6'1" and 200 lbs of lean body mass the Revo suits me fine..for fishing purposes I'll keep peddling..I'm still trying to talk Joy into one, I'm tired of her calling me a pussy..Eric
LMAO!! Don, you PUSSY!!

Last edited by Kiyo; 01-05-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Kiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
1Flatfish
Wayne

Outback

I vote Outback because that's what I have and love. My Revo buddies might be a bit faster, but I'm in no hurry. I like the extra stability (I think it's considerable) and the side trays. It's rated to hold more weight. But still, most people go for the Revo, and I like them too. I would like to have both some day.

Wayne
1Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #8
1Flatfish
Wayne

Outback (More)

I should add that almost everybody I fish with drive Revos and they hardly laugh at me at all!
Old 01-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
1Flatfish
Wayne

Outback again!

OK, they laugh at me all the time, but not because of my kayak!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #10
Grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinoo View Post
Erie...I told you I don't like my men with thick ankles, tanned toe nails, and thunder thighs! I wish you would just listen to me and get those arms and shoulders built up to my manly liking...dammit.

One of my ol' drill sergeants told me one time...."Son, only two types of people come from Texas....steers and queers....and I don't see any horns coming out of your F'n head!"
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #11
erinoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego View Post
Erie...I told you I don't like my men with thick ankles, tanned toe nails, and thunder thighs! I wish you would just listen to me and get those arms and shoulders built up to my manly liking...dammit.

One of my ol' drill sergeants told me one time...."Son, only two types of people come from Texas....steers and queers....and I don't see any horns coming out of your F'n head!"
Greg, your "drillin" sergeant must have been from Oklahoma..They always got it backwards...
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
Jim Sammons LJKF

Hey Don, If you decide to stick to real kayaking not that pedal nonsense give a bent shaft paddle a try. I had some tendinitis in my elbow and it went away when I switched to the crank shaft.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #13
forefrazier

Guys your size are too big for a Hobie!

Seriously though..6'-5", 240 here.....You are right about the Outback and unfortunately it will be a similar feeling in the Revo. They are both a bit too short in the leg travel area for guys our size. I have demo'd the Revo on a few occasions really wanting to make it work, but it just wont for me. Pedals are at the furthest setting and I still feel like the big guy in a little suit.

If the PA is out, then the only one left is the Adventure. You will be comfortable in the leg length department although you will still probably be at the furthest setting out (7). For me, the Adventure was not significantly faster than the Revo or my Trident for that matter. The capacity is only 350 so us bigger guys are already using up 2/3rds of that before we load any gear. Add a Hobie bait tank a few rods, etc and you are pushing the 300+ marker easy. What that means to me in my experience is that I will not beat the lighter, 180lb guy in a race since I am dragging more plastic through the water due to the increased load. Might of been just me or this picture below but always felt as if I was dragging a$$ in the Adventure a bit with all my gear tagging along:

What do I say to Hobie? Come out with a realistic yak for the larger folk...How 'bout an 'Advolution'? Something with about 450lb capacity, 15' long and a few Pro Angler features built in without the 36" width. Hobie...Are you listening? Good luck Don and let me know what you find since I am in your same "boat" right now.

Steve

Last edited by forefrazier; 01-05-2010 at 06:11 PM.
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #14
joyjiggin'

Hey, Don! Peddling is starting to sound better everyday! Paddling is getting to be a pia with my neck injury. Go for it, no one will call YOU a pussy! (And Grego, Eric's a steer, beelieve me!!)
joyjiggin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #15
bellcon

THANKS everyone

Steve
That is what I am talking about (finally an honest to goodness big guy)
when I peddled them it felt like i was bottoming out the peddles every time...
(with them adjusted forward all the way)

I am not looking for speed
I am not looking for stability

The only reason I would consider a hobie is for those long days
fighting current or wind, trying to stay on a spot, or trying to hit multiple spots over a long distance, chasing birds, exploring, etc.
there is no doubt a good angler in a hobie can cover a lot of ground.

The Trident is plenty fast when I need it most of the time, unless I am beat at the end of a day...
and it is also more than stable enough, almost too stable

Jim,
I use an all carbon werner Corryvrecken, may have to try the bent shaft
the hand numbness isn't constant, and the elbow issues come and go...

Steve, was the adventure a "wet" ride? another thing I love about my trident.... high and dry!

any other comments / suggestions guys and gals?

p.s
I could careless about the "pussy" factor
Hell if it made me a better kayak fisherman I would go with a set of pink avets and a pink hobie complete with a rainbow sticker on the bow
Kiyo...you wanna go paddling for 14 hours with me this weekend?
Old 01-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #16
Kiyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
THANKS everyone

Steve
That is what I am talking about (finally an honest to goodness big guy)
when I peddled them it felt like i was bottoming out the peddles every time...
(with them adjusted forward all the way)

I am not looking for speed
I am not looking for stability

The only reason I would consider a hobie is for those long days
fighting current or wind, trying to stay on a spot, or trying to hit multiple spots over a long distance, chasing birds, exploring, etc.
there is no doubt a good angler in a hobie can cover a lot of ground.

The Trident is plenty fast when I need it most of the time, unless I am beat at the end of a day...
and it is also more than stable enough, almost too stable

Jim,
I use an all carbon werner Corryvrecken, may have to try the bent shaft
the hand numbness isn't constant, and the elbow issues come and go...

Steve, was the adventure a "wet" ride? another thing I love about my trident.... high and dry!

any other comments / suggestions guys and gals?

p.s
I could careless about the "pussy" factor
Hell if it made me a better kayak fisherman I would go with a set of pink avets and a pink hobie complete with a rainbow sticker on the bow
Kiyo...you wanna go paddling for 14 hours with me this weekend?
Don, 16 1/2 hours on the water non stop fishing in one day was my longest. That was at last years MDR Derby. Pliska was right next to me.

We all know the real reason you want to pedal. You keep losing your paddle! LMAO!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #17
bellcon

Quote:
You keep losing your paddle! LMAO!
Kiyo:

and DP

Old 01-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #18
Billy V

The Adventure is a nice yak, but the front hatch access is not so good. It is low to the waterline, and as you slide up toward the hatch the front of the yak gets very low in the water.
-Try it during a demo.

Other than that I fished it for several years with no complaints. It was stable enough for me, but I don't think that stability compares to your trident 15.

It is fast, and not affected by wind at all. This yak will cover a lot of water effortlessly.

Side saddle in the Adventure 150 ft. of water.

Last edited by Billy V; 01-06-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:05 AM   #19
Gino

Very hard to paddle without a paddle Don! hah!

Quote:
I'll hold you to that! ill even have the pink paint done for you for the Avets, And Laguna beach is real close... ill get you that rainbow sticker, put it on your trident start now!
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:12 AM   #20
habanero

Don, you might take a closer look at the 2010 adventure. They look like they sit higher off the water and I have heard they are a dry ride. You should try and work out a day long fishing day demo to be sure.
habanero is offline   Reply With Quote