Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

Let Us Fish!

While a few decades have past since my first fishing lesson, I'd like to think I gained something from it. The problem being, my memory from that period in life is a little fuzzy around the edges. And for good reason; I was three years old. I do remember holding that thin stick we picked off the bush---that piece of rope we tied on and the wiggly worm we used for bait, though. While I really don't remember anything my mentor at the time said specifically, I can safely assume how that first lesson went. Something to the effect of, 'when that bobber goes down pull like the dickens'! The truth is, I don't remember any of my first fish until I was four years old. I do remember one big---well, what seemed huge at the time Bluegill Perch I caught. Probably because it finned the crap out of me! You know, when I was giving that poor fish my first death grip? Which, of course, was followed by me screaming bloody murder and crying until it was time for a nap.

My mom loves telling the story of when she frantically called the police one day. Not to mention, had the entire neighborhood in a panic as well. So be warned if you ever come over for Thanksgiving dinner---it's a practical guarantee! To this day, I've never really inquired as to how my parents could let this happen. What exactly they were doing to lose a child of three, or how in the hell they could be so absent minded for that matter---but, the story was that Josh was missing! I hope she doesn't create a new screen-name on Big Water's Edge and feel obligated to fill in the rest of the details, but the short of the story goes something like this: After searching for a few hours in a panic, calling the police, going from door to door frantically asking if anyone had seen their only son (where homes weren't exactly a hundred yards away I might add)--- apparently, I decided at the ripe age of three that, I was going to do what I wanted to do. Perhaps a precursor of what's to come. Whether I methodically planned my sneak approach or my parents broke into the Moonshine during mid-day hours, I'll never know. As the story goes, I somehow made my way down the trail, through some brush and to the back pasture of tall grass to you guessed it---the pond! As mom tells it I was naked as can be, filthy, with a smile on my face from ear to ear. All alone and happy as a Clam---waiting for that cork to go down.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the parents; for taking their kids fishing in the first place. Without that little stick, rope (It was rope by the way) and a worm, I probably wouldn't have had such a good time while being naked. Well, you know what I mean. While I'm sure the stock-pond loaded with Black Bass, Perch and Catfish didn't hurt my chances of latching onto this great sport---I'd like to give some credit where credit's due. So, thanks mom and dad! After all, I might have ended up as a tourist at La Jolla shores asking: "Is that a real fish on the back of your kayak?'" And while I doubt those tourists' parents ever lost them in a poisonous snake filled region of the world---I feel that I got the better of the exchange.

While I'd secretly hoped there wouldn't be a soul at my seminar on April 23rd (this Saturday at 10:00 a.m.), apparently the word is out. I figured I might as well make it official. For those who are shooting me private messages with inquiries, yes, I'm doing a seminar. In case you didn't get a chance to watch me speak at any of the M.L.P.A. meetings, I'll apologize for my lack of stage presence in advance. After all, I'm not a rock-star by any stretch; I'm a salty fisherman.

If you'd like to know what to do when your bobber goes down, or how to make your bobber go down more frequently---check it out.

Last edited by WCW Moderator; 04-20-2011 at 11:18 AM.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Haha yep that's sounds like the life story of a legend getting lost in search of the next thrill. Whether it be the dirty pond (probably some kind of waste runoff) or the blue ocean. Nice bluegill I mean yellow! Love the color,and the hat. Must have been a pretty big worm under that buoy of a bobber hahaha.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
While I'd secretly hoped there wouldn't be a soul at my seminar on April 23rd (this Saturday at 10:00 a.m.), apparently the word is out. I figured I might as well make it official. For those who are shooting me private messages with inquiries, yes, I'm doing a seminar at Fastlane Sailing Center on Mission Bay. In case you didn't get a chance to watch me speak at any of the M.L.P.A. meetings, I'll apologize for my lack of stage presence in advance. After all, I'm not a rock-star by any stretch; I'm a salty fisherman.

If you'd like to know what to do when your bobber goes down, or how to make your bobber go down more frequently---check it out.
The word is definately out, I'm sure you'll have a big turn out. After being 0-7 in LJ I'm sure I could use a few pointers. I work graveyard and don't get off work until 0630 Saturday so it'll be tuff but I'm going to do everything possible to be there.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 04-19-2011 at 12:47 AM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
Billy V

You'll do just fine.
Its not like there will be 300 or 400 hundred people there hanging on your every word.
-It probably won't be recorded for national broadcast on "In Fisherman" or Live Television.

But I could be wrong.
Anyhow - see you there.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:26 AM   #5
THE DARKHORSE

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Billy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
You'll do just fine.
Its not like there will be 300 or 400 hundred people there hanging on your every word.
-It probably won't be recorded for national broadcast on "In Fisherman" or Live Television.

But I could be wrong.
Anyhow - see you there.

And you're absolutely right. It's not like I'm speaking to a panel of people who could care less about what I have to say; the bought and sold jury of the The Blue Ribbon task force comes to mind! Not to mention, I won't have my mug on the big screen with a flashing red light in my face. Or, some guy telling me my time is up, a minute early every time I approach the mic (Ken Wisemen).

It's a group of friendly fisherman who simply want to catch more fish; no big deal. With only an hour I'll be limited on exactly how I can help a large group, but I'll do my best.
Like all my posts for the past year---this Yellowtail report is on time. As in, she's still on ice. I suppose that's one of the advantages of people assuming your reports are from fish caught a week or two ago. You can post when you want without sending out the siren. I'll be more selective in the future now that the word's out, though. And as you might imagine---many a tree has fallen in the woods without a soul to hear it, since my last post. There's no fish in La Jolla!
Old 04-19-2011, 04:37 AM   #6
deepdvr

Way to go on that 30 lb. +/- bluegill of the sea!!! I think I'll have Adi do some forensic research on the carbon dating of that photo to make sure it really happened after you entered WCW.

The seminar should be a great opportunity for people who can make it. You can tell them you're only a little behind deepdvr in the WCW standings for the month.

What's the story with the gouge on that yellow? You taking a bite out of crime?

Good job amigo!
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:07 AM   #7
roadx

nice fish! plenty of time to upgrade. but im still not convinced you can catch halibut

see you saturday, my bobber is broken
Old 04-19-2011, 05:11 AM   #8
Regor
Greg

Can't make it Saturday, but I think it's replaying on WFN as a marathon, then it goes on DVD, and I think maybe streaming over the internet.

oh yeah .... nice fish !!
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:10 AM   #9
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Can't make it Saturday, but I think it's replaying on WFN as a marathon, then it goes on DVD, and I think maybe streaming over the internet.

oh yeah .... nice fish !!
I already pre-ordered my dvd and set the dvr to record until the dvd arrives. wont be able to make it saturday so its pod cast for me.

nice fish too

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #10
blitzburgh

Fantastic post, as usual!
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #11
Regor
Greg

Oh yeah,,,, just struck me...

The title of this thread and The Hat ... supporting the fight.

Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #12
PAL

Nice hat. Apparently each one comes packed with positive fish karma. Right Josh?
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #13
Iceman
Administrator

That would have been a nice kill shot with a spear.............but what's up with that hole!?!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #14
Mtobolsky
Loves his member

count me in.....pending the weather
Mtobolsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #15
old_rookie

Nice catch!!
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #16
tagyak

i thought the darkhorse always wore black hats??????
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #17
cjthomas

Sweet fish and good luck with the seminar.

Its always nice to have a few fishing stories that date back longer than your memory. Apparently, I tossed my bamboo pole into Lake Skinner because I wanted to use my dad's nicer setup...hah
cjthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #18
sharonkayak

Great colorful fsh.

I think my youngest memories was me half falling into an ice fishing hole we were fishing back east.
sharonkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #19
yakrider

nice hat!
nicer fish!
great story, nature boy!
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #20
Caballito

Nice one

2 or 4 lb test? or still using rope?...see ya Sat., I'll be the one in the back making faces!