Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #21
Jimm H

Glad it worked out

Good of you to post
GBF- "Immediately, I was in the water trying to get to her as fast as I could. I'm a strong swimmer and after I hit the water I saw her."

Stay in your kayak. Rescue should not involve entering the water unless necessary. There's a lot of "strong swimmers" out there that think they are better than the conditions. And, being a strong swimmer does not mean you are adept at rescue.

In order:
Reach (like with your arm or an object)
Row (In a boat go assist a person farther off)
Throw (a flotation devise)
Go (swim).

Always wear your PFD.

Remain Calm (No offense intended, but it sounds like your wife wasn't the only one who panicked)

Drop a $100 on a JIS7 submersible marine radio with a clip and wrist strap, and retain it to your pfd with both. (I've seen a guy loose his clipped-on radio when he flopped in the drink.)

Thanks again for telling it straight up.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #22
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Thanks for your post.

We have to respect the ocean.

Always wear your PFD.

I used nylon rope to tie down everything to my kayak. Recently i have been buying the actual fishing coil and Paddle leashes. I can also attest on how hard it is to get back on your kayak being a big guy myself. If I am close to shore I swim back to shore towing my kayak behind me. I can just imagine how tired I would be getting back on my yak in this cold water.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:37 PM   #23
Kiyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBF View Post
Yup....................I'm a Baytuber also....Don't tell Kiyo. His kids think I'm SHAQ!!

GBF
Glad you guys are ok!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjixjVoDJSk
Old 01-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #24
wiredantz

lol classic
Old 01-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #25
Aaron&Julie

Sorry to hear about your losses, injury, and rough experience. Glad it wasn't any worse.

The only time we had a flip, other than landing in the surf, was early on in our kayak experience. It was our first trip using trolling motors and 60lb marine batteries, Julie flipped near the Southern reserve buoy markers at La Jolla. I was just a little in front of her, turned my head back, and she was gone. Well, actually, she was clinging to a buoy with her yak next to her. We hadn't practiced this event. But, when I got to her, I could tell she was freaked, too, like your wife. I jumped off my yak, and she boarded it fairly easy. And even though her Fish 'N Dive had the battery, motor, rods, bait tank, gaff, etc. I was lucky enough to flip it back on the first try, and boarded it. I don't believe we lost anything. But, we still called it a day.

In hind-sight, and for future kayakers of the world, we'd definitely recommend a no gear day where you intentionally flip your yak and practice what is necessary to save the situation. It would lessen any fear in an actual flipping.

Congratulations on your recent marriage. It sounds like you have a trooper, and future kayak partner, there. May you experiences ahead be wonderful like ours.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #26
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyo View Post

Shaq- so funny
Old 01-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #27
umoa
Junior

Had a similar incident @ HH a couple months ago. My friend and i were lodged in an area and fishing for bass. On the previous trip my legs went numb so this time i decided to move around on the yak. Ended up kneeling and i told him how comfortable it was. (i was on the xfactor and he was on a prowler) He followed suit, guess what happens next?

Hey, hey, SPLASH!, I turn over, his yak is overturned and crap is floating all over the place with him nowhere to be seen. He bobs back up and starts freaking out and grabbing at my yak. I grab him by the vest and tell him to calm down. Pushed him back maybe 2' and he stands in waist deep water. Funniest thing ever. He went back the next day and found the important stuff. Ended up losing a box of sinkers, a pair of pliers and his dignity.
umoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #28
Jimmyz123

Being new to the sport of Kayak fishing this is one of those lesson posts that I like to read and think what would have done. I have been around boats and fishing my entire life and the interesting this is I have not yet, and I say Yet, falling in. I know someday it's going to happen but I am going to be darn sure that I'm ready if it happens. The reason I have not yet launched from La Jolla yet is because I don't fee I have all the safetly gear I need, and I have not practiced getting in and out of the Kayak yet, I'm waiting for the water to warm a little, but I plan on working on that soon.

I'm glad the originator of this thread is O.K. and that he and his wife are safe, and I think we all have learned a lesson and at this point. We only have one life here on this big blue planet let's not make it any shorter than it already is.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #29
StinkyMatt

Just my tw cents worth:

Practice flipping your kayak with a bait tank/ or crate and one or more attached poles. The resistance that the tank/ crate creates makes a difference. Make sure that you wear your waders when you practice.

The first time I practiced was in my parents' pool, empty kayak, in shorts, etc. My Dad called me out and said that "There ain't no phoooking way I could do all that with all my gear, tank and waders in an ocean in 57 degrees" Trust me it is a LOT harder to do it all geared up . A LOT harder!

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
Being new to the sport of Kayak fishing this is one of those lesson posts that I like to read and think what would have done. I have been around boats and fishing my entire life and the interesting this is I have not yet, and I say Yet, falling in. I know someday it's going to happen but I am going to be darn sure that I'm ready if it happens. The reason I have not yet launched from La Jolla yet is because I don't fee I have all the safetly gear I need, and I have not practiced getting in and out of the Kayak yet, I'm waiting for the water to warm a little, but I plan on working on that soon.

I'm glad the originator of this thread is O.K. and that he and his wife are safe, and I think we all have learned a lesson and at this point. We only have one life here on this big blue planet let's not make it any shorter than it already is.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #30
Jimmyz123

Thanks Matt that make so much sense to me. I do have access to a pool that I can do this on also, and I'm sure my In Laws will get a great laugh at watching me do this. If it means being able to save my life while on the water, you bet I'm going to try this. I'm like 99.9% ready and to hit La Jolla and am looking forward to doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Just my tw cents worth:

Practice flipping your kayak with a bait tank/ or crate and one or more attached poles. The resistance that the tank/ crate creates makes a difference. Make sure that you wear your waders when you practice.

The first time I practiced was in my parents' pool, empty kayak, in shorts, etc. My Dad called me out and said that "There ain't no phoooking way I could do all that with all my gear, tank and waders in an ocean in 57 degrees" Trust me it is a LOT harder to do it all geared up . A LOT harder!

Matt
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #31
dorado50

don't underestimate the pacific ocean. If you are going to practice self rescue do it in the ocean on a windy and rough day. Only then will you know what u r made of...
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #32
Kayak Rookie
Junior

Kayak Classes at South Western College

Kind of late to the party on this one but, when I first thought about kayaking I found that SW had classes out on the strand on the bay side. They cover a lot of safety concerns and you get to dump you kayak and get back in. Heck we even practiced switching places in a double.

They covered attempting to get into your yak. If you dump, the simple thing to do is place your kayak on your side facing in to the wind if it squirts away from you the wind will push it back... versus you trying to catch up to it.

Loose a paddle you just turned your yak in to a surf board, on your belly and start paddling with your arms....and more. Safety was always stressed. You would be surprised how may people have no idea how to get back in to their kayak.....Classes are cheap you get to paddle all around the bay, build up some indurance, and figure out if you like it or not. After class I would sit over on the ocean side and watch the kids trying to learn how to surf.... one new thing at a time.

Hope this helps.
Kayak Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote