Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which is best kayak dolly for cheap?
Amazon Pneumatic 6 46.15%
Amazon Non-Pneumatic 1 7.69%
DYI Bulletproof 4 30.77%
DYI Waterman Natwork 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
Jacurley45

DIY Kayak Cart or buy cheap pre-made on Amazon?

I am a new owner of preowned 2012 Hobie Revo after like 7 to 9 months of hiatus.

Now I'm looking around for a good kayak cart as my kayak's bottom is practically still pristine and I would like to keep it that way.

Any advices? I've looked around on old threads and there's not that many discussions regarding to which is better via DYI or buying a reasonable affordable one off Amazon.

Non-Pneumatic Wheels from Amazon

Pneumatic Wheels & cheapest one

TWO following DIY links:

Palmetto Bulletproof Build

Waterman Natwork's DIY

Last edited by Jacurley45; 02-13-2016 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Mistyped Three but it was actually TWO
Jacurley45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:56 PM   #2
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacurley45 View Post
I am a new owner of preowned 2012 Hobie Revo after like 7 to 9 months of hiatus.

Now I'm looking around for a good kayak cart as my kayak's bottom is practically still pristine and I would like to keep it that way.

Any advices? I've looked around on old threads and there's not that many discussions regarding to which is better via DYI or buying a reasonable affordable one off Amazon.

Non-Pneumatic Wheels from Amazon

Pneumatic Wheels & cheapest one

Three following DIY links:

Palmetto Bulletproof Build

Waterman Natwork's DIY
I made the cart from the Palmetto site, but instead of using the Harbor Freight wheels I used some low pressure sand wheels, it's much better that way
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #3
ctfphoto

DIY: PVC + Big Harbor Freight Tires + Strap

This method allows you to put the yak on the fulcrum.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:09 PM   #4
jorluivil

Whatever you do make sure you get wheels that have bearings

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:12 PM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
I made the cart from the Palmetto site, but instead of using the Harbor Freight wheels I used some low pressure sand wheels, it's much better that way
Yes Sir the Palmetto with wheeleez, works for BAJA beaches.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:31 PM   #6
King Saba

I have the amazon pneumatic one. Got it off of ebay for a little cheaper. But, in the year that I've had it the tires have popped twice. It's cost me about 14 bucks to replace. It gets the job done though and is able to lug my stealth around when I fully load it which is usually close to 100lbs. If you're not handy and take forever to complete a DIY I'd go with it as the cart is so cheap you wouldn't care much if it got thrashed.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:45 PM   #7
jorluivil

One other thing to consider is how easy it will be to breakdown the cart. I have a PA14 and have the wheelez cart with the big sand wheels, I hate walking to my truck to get my wheels after I land (beach or dock).

I usually breakdown the entire cart before launching; wheels and cross bars in the front hatch and frame strapped down behind the tank. Ounce I land I take everything out, put it together and walk the kayak to my truck.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #8
RussH
Junior

I have that non-pneumatic amazon one. I like it so far. Not a ton of use but if fits inside my kayak which was my main reason for choosing it. goes on the sand ok but digs a little. Not saying it's the one but it seems good for the money and what I need it to do.
RussH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:04 AM   #9
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
One other thing to consider is how easy it will be to breakdown the cart. I have a PA14 and have the wheelez cart with the big sand wheels, I hate walking to my truck to get my wheels after I land (beach or dock).

I usually breakdown the entire cart before launching; wheels and cross bars in the front hatch and frame strapped down behind the tank. Ounce I land I take everything out, put it together and walk the kayak to my truck.
when I built the DIY cart I put holes in the axle so I could use pin clips and washers to hold the wheels on, I can pull the wheels off in a second and store everything in the back of the yak.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:52 AM   #10
octico

Bite the bullet and get one of these you will not regret it.

Wheeleez
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:04 AM   #11
TheBoyScout

I tried the DIY harbor freight method mentioned above and PVC broke and All those hours of drilling and stuff to waste. Just bite the bullet save time and money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheBoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:36 AM   #12
Raskal311

Non of those DIY look like they will hold up very well. Those vertical post looks like they would break easily in sand or even while trying to go over curvea. Probably ok im hard pack sand with lightly loaded yak.

Last edited by Raskal311; 02-12-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:26 PM   #13
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
Non of those DIY look like they will hold up very well. This vertical post looks like they would break easily in sand or even while trying to go over curvea. Probably ok im hard pack sand with lightly loaded yak.
I just put wood dowlings in the up right PVC. It not only strengthens it it also gives the unit more support.

Geno
Old 02-12-2016, 02:50 PM   #14
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno Machino View Post
I just put wood dowlings in the up right PVC. It not only strengthens it it also gives the unit more support.

Geno
Great idea that would hold for sure.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #15
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

For $32 on Amazon it's not even worth it to DIY a POS cart. I built my own because I have a welder so it's steel. Just buy one if you can't make a real one.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:25 AM   #16
Jacurley45

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
For $32 on Amazon it's not even worth it to DIY a POS cart. I built my own because I have a welder so it's steel. Just buy one if you can't make a real one.

I'm fascinated that there is no one good answer! Anyway, I do have an access to a welding machine so I can build one. What plan did you used or you made I on your own? Picture?
Old 02-13-2016, 06:05 AM   #17
Jacurley45

I could strengthen the cheap-ass amazon cart's critical points as long it isn't stainless steel as I don't have welder for that metal. Now, I'm leaning toward to Amazon's product since its cheap and don't have to deal as much with building. However, which is better via pneumatic or non-pneumatic? I can replace either wheels with beach wheels later on. Or am I better off just build my own via welding? If so, what plan I should try to copy or follow?
Old 02-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #18
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
Non of those DIY look like they will hold up very well. Those vertical post looks like they would break easily in sand or even while trying to go over curvea. Probably ok im hard pack sand with lightly loaded yak.

This kayak cart mentioned in the original post has been in regular use for more than ten years, all original parts are still used. It is still being used to transport a fully loaded kayak over the sharp rocks, and steep cliffs necessary to reach launch spots here in the Pacific Northwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoyScout View Post
I tried the DIY harbor freight method mentioned above and PVC broke and All those hours of drilling and stuff to waste. Just bite the bullet save time and money
Unfortunately, for some people, a person working in a sweat shop in a third world country can do a better job, in that case, buy something off the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KayakCart.jpg (52.9 KB, 159 views)
Old 02-13-2016, 08:58 AM   #19
TheBoyScout

Ha you're cool...
I just learned not to be a cheap ass...
Glad your hours of time aren't worth 32 bucks haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheBoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:04 PM   #20
Jacurley45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
This kayak cart mentioned in the original post has been in regular use for more than ten years, all original parts are still used. It is still being used to transport a fully loaded kayak over the sharp rocks, and steep cliffs necessary to reach launch spots here in the Pacific Northwest.

Unfortunately, for some people, a person working in a sweat shop in a third world country can do a better job, in that case, buy something off the internet.
Impressive! ALL PVC? Or with wood dowels as support?

As for the 3rd world sweat shop employee, they can definitely do it better as it takes constant practice on the daily basis to perfecting the welding method! I can do it pretty well but not as good as I don't do it for a living.