Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
beef78
Large Member

Dodgers??

I have been wanting to try using a dodge to go after Halibut. I am not really sure where to start as far as a rig goes. If anyone has some tips, I would appreciate it. Main questions are how fast to drag it, how far between three way swivel and the sinker, how far between the 3 way swivel and the dodger and how far between the dodge and the bait. Thanks all.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef78 View Post
I have been wanting to try using a dodge to go after Halibut. I am not really sure where to start as far as a rig goes. If anyone has some tips, I would appreciate it. Main questions are how fast to drag it, how far between three way swivel and the sinker, how far between the 3 way swivel and the dodger and how far between the dodge and the bait. Thanks all.

http://www.bestofbiggame.com/BounceballTips.html

Here's a link that I used a while back.

I like using the 3 way swivel, but have not used the dodger. Good luck

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
beef78
Large Member

Thanks! I am going to try that tomorrow. Seems to be the go to rig.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
viti
Junior

The proper speed depends on the dodger. Often the manufacturer will suggest a speed, but regardless you can check for yourself by letting enough line out to submerge the dodger but not so much that you can't see the dodger and hoochie/bait. Position your rod so you can see the dodger and hoochie while paddling and try various speeds to see how they affect the action. You want the dodger and hoochie to dart back and forth in an appealing fashion. If the dodger starts rolling, you are paddling too fast. It might make sense to try dodgers of different shapes, to see which has the best action at a speed you are comfortable paddling with. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out. The dodger hoochie combo can definitely work in SD bay.

Matt
viti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
viti
Junior

Almost forgot to add an important point-- beware of tangles! Let your line out in a slow and controlled fashion. If on a paddle powered yak, let it out slowly, in short lengths, interrupted by paddling. You want the yak to be moving forward as line is paid out. Another tip is to use short lengths of tubing on the connections from the three way swivel to help reduce tangling. There is nothing more frustrating than checking on your hardware and realizing it was likely tangled the whole time since deployment. Depending on the action of your rod and the amount of weight you are using, you will probably notice a regular action to your rod tip associated with a properly functioning dodger.

Matt
viti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:55 AM   #6
jorluivil

One of the tricks that I learned from a great Halibut fisher(name rhymes with Meg Nephew) is to use a half dead bait or completely dead bait. The main reason for this is that if the bait (sardine) is lively it will swim forward faster than you are moving and will eventually wrap itself around the rest of the rig. Speaking from experience I can assure that shortly after the second time this happens you'll be cutting everything up and going back to some other setup.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
beef78
Large Member

Ended up taking my four year old with me to mission bay this afternoon instead of going to SD bay this morning. I was too tired this morning after my 24 hour shift to fish. I ended up with 2 shorts. I love catching Halibut. So does my daughter.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
beef78
Large Member

one more question about dodgers: what size and color? Thanks all!!