Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-28-2015, 06:28 PM   #1
jstn619
Junior

First YT on a Kayak - 6/27/15

I've been on BWE for some time now marveling at the photos you post and reading your stories to gather tips...it's been both motivating and frustrating at the same time as I have probably been to LJ 25 times without a Yellowtail. Thanks to all of you that share your stories and tips!

I launched at 6am with my buddy Dennis and his son. The day started a little rough as my fish finder was acting up...oh well, press on. We made bait fairly easily with some monster greenies, quickly slapped one on, and headed out west of the hotel.

The surge was strong and I was starting to feel a little sick (The long island ice teas while watching the USA WNT kick China's a$$ the night before probably didn't help). Around 8:30 I decided to turn back and and bam...a hookup! Got towed for about 10 minutes, but evntually lost him. I reached back to pull bait, but all of them were dead...some issue with larger macs not surviving in a bait tank? I pulled out my sabiki rig and found another 12" greenie fairly quick, but in the meantime the surge really got to me and I started chumming. Oh well, after the recent hookup I was motivated to keep at it...at least for the pedal back.

As I came around the NW corner about 100 yds off the kelp bed, I felt my bait start to run scared and bam...another hookup! I fought this one for about 10 minutes and finally got him near my yak and I drop my freakin' gaff...rookie mistake! I finally got him up to the side of my yak and he seemed exhausted (along with me) and thank God I was able to grab him by the gill to pull him in. I headed in and was back on the shore by 10am.

I made a few mistakes, but it was a great day and glad to finally get my first yellow that weighed in at 24 lbs and measured 43". Looking forward to many more.
Attached Images

jstn619 is offline   Reply With Quote