Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
Skipjackrobert

Newbie here and questions, please...

Just bought ny first kayak this week, an outback, and have a question on several things:

What to wear during the winter, cooler months? Farmer john, surf booties, waterproof jacket?

What type of bait tank do you recommend?

I am having racks out on the prius, what type of attachments do I need to put the yak on the rack?

Finally, are there any kayak groups or clubs that fish out of Dana that I can join?

Thank you for the input.....robert in Aliso viejo
Skipjackrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
DanaPT

welcome. I fish DP. You can google Dana point fishing mafia too.

A lot of guys fish DP on this forum. Just a matter of taking time putting in effort.

Clothing in winter... layers. I wear nylon pants, with breathable waders. Shirt, sweat-shirt, jacket as needed. Beanie is nice too.

Good luck out there.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
Skipjackrobert

Thank you for the input! How wet do you usually get?
Old 01-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipjackrobert View Post
Thank you for the input! How wet do you usually get?
Welcome to the addiction.............It depends on the conditions really. Every day can be different. I usually wear breathable waders with sweats or board shorts underneath with a thermal and fishing shirt on the really cold days or while hoop netting. there has been days this winter that board shorts and a t-shirts are just fine. Get out and learn what works and what doesn't, part of the fun of it.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Welcome to BWE. You have come to the right place. This forum is great! I too am a newbie. Bought my kayak a month ago. I had the same questions. The guys on here help me out and gave me some great advise. I have a 5 page thread of my questions and a ton of their answers. Best of luck and you are going to love this.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
Skipjackrobert

Thanks guys! I still longboard but sitting in the yak will be different from in the water. I'm sure I will have more questions later as I get deeper into it. Appreciate the help! Robert
Old 01-29-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
StinkyMatt

Surf launching you will likely wear breathable waders. Buy some chaep booties or even sandals/ crocks to wear while walking at the launch to protect the feet of the waders from damage.

Launching in the harbor you can wear shorts or some pants for protection from the sun.

As far as tops, surf launch get a water proof top, does notneed to be expensive, just to protect the layers under from being wet.

Many people usually shed layers of clothing once the sun comes up.

Cotton is usually not the best choice for under layers or socks as it does not perform well in wet conditions.

Dana is a very popular spot, post up when you go and you will make friends.

I also have an outback. Spend the coin to buy the Hobie tank (its pricey) but well worth it. I went the DIY route only t end up buying the Hobie tank later.

Tight lines, post up.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #8
Skipjackrobert

Thanks Matt !