Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #1
jlabs63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
9/6/2018

Having seen Nice guy's post a few times I dragged a larger setup on a 30# main and a 6x junior for a weight headed out to the bump. Loaded the whole thing with 8" greenbacks about 3 times. Highly recommended technique.
Thanks for the post. Hope you make it down again soon! Can you elaborate on the above referenced setup? Are you using a Sabiki with a 6X as the weight, or is there something else to it?
jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #2
hiramehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabs63 View Post
Can you elaborate on the above referenced setup? Are you using a Sabiki with a 6X as the weight, or is there something else to it?
X2
hiramehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
FISH11

Congrats, on making good bait. For some time, that alone has been one of the biggest problems. Since about this time last year things at LJ have not been what I experienced the previous 4 years. Very few yellows, not much kelp and lack of bait fish in the area. I believe that all of those are related. The higher the water temp, the less large fish. That is not what most of us would expect. Some yellows are caught but I think this last year has been more about being at the right place at the right time and day. I'm looking forward because in the last 5 years, I have caught most of my yellows between Oct. and May. Try using circle hooks 2/0 or 3/0 with the clicker and only as much drag as it takes to keep the bait from constantly making the clicker go off. Once a yellow takes it grab the rod count 4 to 5 second and just tighten the drag to strike with the rod pointing in the direction of the fish. The yellow will hook itself and now the fun begins. Thanks for sharing and better luck on your next trip to LJ.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:51 AM   #4
dpricenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabs63 View Post
Thanks for the post. Hope you make it down again soon! Can you elaborate on the above referenced setup? Are you using a Sabiki with a 6X as the weight, or is there something else to it?

After reading this advice the same place the OP did I tested the method as well. I put a 4oz KandyBar Spoon on the bottom of my Sabiki, and trolled it for a full tank of bait in 10 minutes. Asside from the possibility of catching something bigger on the Spoon, I think it looks like a fish chasing food. So it's more attractive than just a sabiki and a hunk of lead chasing it. I'll never fish a sabiki other than with this method. Be sure to buy a sabiki with a heavy main line. Just in case something big take a bite.
dpricenator is offline   Reply With Quote