Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-28-2020, 11:55 AM   #1
Warmshort

LJ fish and a cracking problem

My hobie has developed a crack from storing on its wheels. Anyways was gonna use JB weld to fill it surprisingly that crack lets a lot of water in. I posted some white fish and a sheep’s head nothing crazy to report about 65’ water was 68 degrees of the Northwest side off the kelp. Go get em.
Attached Images

Warmshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:51 PM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

Just to be clear, you store it using a scupper cart? I think the issue with that is if your have your bow at a different level than your stern. At that point there is a lever arm that gets especially bad if your kayak is heavy or you pile stuff on top of your kayak. I don't think that's a very hard repair but you probably can't use a scupper cart any more for storage or transport.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:13 PM   #3
Warmshort

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
Just to be clear, you store it using a scupper cart? I think the issue with that is if your have your bow at a different level than your stern. At that point there is a lever arm that gets especially bad if your kayak is heavy or you pile stuff on top of your kayak. I don't think that's a very hard repair but you probably can't use a scupper cart any more for storage or transport.
I don’t use it that often when I store it it’s on two pieces of pvc but when I’m getting it ready for the season I put it on it’s wheels. Hopefully it’s under warranty.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:22 PM   #4
Warmshort

Hope it’s an easy fix at least I got to pull a truck out of the sand today and caught a few little guys lol
Old 06-28-2020, 02:32 PM   #5
deptrai

You need something like this:

https://www.austinkayak.com/KC-Welde.../ACK1587P.html

Drag it up to Oregon and you can use mine.

Last edited by deptrai; 06-28-2020 at 07:09 PM.
deptrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:04 PM   #6
Warmshort

Thanks that’s exactly what it needs I think appreciate the link you put up.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:06 PM   #7
igotpron
Xcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmshort View Post
Thanks that’s exactly what it needs I think appreciate the link you put up.

Before you weld check with the warranty first. Contact to. Local dealer and they can start a claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:14 PM   #8
Harry Hill

My wife's brand new predator pdl had damage in the front scupper hole from the factory. We made Old Town replace the kayak, I wasn't going to let her go out on the ocean with the potential for unseen damage. What ever had been stuffed into the scupper had scraped plastic from the inside enough that it had to have weakened the sidewalls. It took Old Town three weeks to acknowledge the damage and offer to replace the kayak. They said it may take up to a month to send her a new hull, I guess there is no hurry once they have their money. The sad thing is we are missing the pan fish spawn while we are waiting.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:34 PM   #9
Saba Slayer

Cart storage and warranty

According to Hobie...storage on the cart for over one hour is not recommended and may void your warranty...
This is from my 2020 kayak...
Attached Images

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:39 PM   #10
Warmshort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
According to Hobie...storage on the cart for over one hour is not recommended and may void your warranty...
This is from my 2020 kayak...
I was looking up the warrant and the 2019’s and up have a three year warranty and anything before that is a two year warranty mine is a 2017. I’m gonna hit them up Monday and see what they can do if not it looks like the plastic welder or JB weld. I have a Hand bilge pump just in case.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:57 PM   #11
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmshort View Post
I was looking up the warrant and the 2019’s and up have a three year warranty and anything before that is a two year warranty mine is a 2017. I’m gonna hit them up Monday and see what they can do if not it looks like the plastic welder or JB weld. I have a Hand bilge pump just in case.
The picture you posted looks like a poorly made hull. The hull would not crack that way and not deform the reinforced black area, even, if you stored it on the cart and had 20 extra lbs on top. I would take it to Fast Lane and have them look at it first, but if that is not covered under warranty, then I would never purchase another Hobie. They should give you a new hull.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:12 PM   #12
Warmshort

I agree my buddy who got me into the sport noticed it even before I did and we pretty much use them the same his is a 2014 never had problems. I use my truck to launch and pick up. Also my railing were the flat black part is actually bows up and you can see through. I also notice my transducer cover was loose and some one stripped it I never worked on it. I’m an a fuck it it works kind of person but this leak is bad and the dealer installed the transducer I got the one from the floor never doing that again I wanna see it come out of the plastic lol. Oh well gonna just take it down tomorrow and see what kind of response I get I hope it’s positive.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:28 PM   #13
FISH11

That's something I would expect if you had tried to jump up a curb, while the kayak was fully loaded with bait tank, seat, rods and a 30lb LJ Yellowtail. No, really that and the drive well are the strongest areas of the hull. That usually means, that is were the plastic is thickest. I beleive Hobie will take care of it because it's not old and because Hobie is known for great customer servise. I never had any issue storing my 2016 Revo 13 on the Hobie Trax 2 30.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:12 PM   #14
deptrai

I 2nd FISH11's recommendation. Take it to Fastlane. They got Hobie to replace my dad's Outback due to a leaking hatch and he was the 2nd owner.
deptrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:40 PM   #15
LEEZO

good Luck. Hobie has a reputation for taking care of their customers more often than not. That's why we pay the extra $ for their products

Last edited by LEEZO; 06-30-2020 at 09:45 PM.
LEEZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:43 PM   #16
skrilla

JB weld does not flex or contract/expand like your hull material does so expect it to fail.

For hull repairs I drill a relief hole at each end of the crack to keep it from spreading any further. Then using a hot tool, like what's in that that repar kit, to melt plastic and form it into shape. I always keep extra hull material from when I drill, cut, rig my kayaks just in case of situations like these.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:13 AM   #17
Warmshort

Gonna have Fast Lane look at it first see what they say that crack is not easy to keep from reacurring like you said that’s the big deal I don’t want to be chasing a crack the whole time I use it. Their open Tomorrow I’ll let you all know how they handle it.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #18
SoCalEDC

May be time to get a solo skiff
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:16 PM   #19
Warmshort

If they can’t do anything for my kayak there’s no way I’d buy a skiff lol I was looking at the warranty in the handbook it’s sounds like the hobie kayak is as fragile as a glass ship lol just kidding. The solo is cool just not for me.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:31 PM   #20
Warmshort

I was looking at fast lane the crazy thing is they look like they store them improperly wonder if I got one of those hope not.
Attached Images