Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
Fishin Phil

What Do You Think?

You do a morning session out of La Jolla and the launch is easy with manageable waves. Then it is time for you to re-enter the waves to land.

1. How do you protect your fish finder on a re-entry? You could re-enter many times and stay upright but what about that one time you flip the yak? Dunking your fish finder in salt water just doesn't sound like a good idea since they can cost $$. What do you do to protect your fish finder? What do you think?

2. The Hobie bait tank battery compartment seems to be just a lid that is held on with a bungie cord. It definitely does not look waterproof or secure if you do capsize. Do those of you that have a hobie bait tank remove the battery prior to re-entry? What do you think?

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
bosshoss

Good Q's..............
bosshoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
ctfphoto

I go thru the surf once a week on average throughout the year.

My one year old fish finder (bought brand new) doesn't work anymore.

I am 100% certain it has to do with salt water ....
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:19 AM   #4
battleborn

when in doubt bag it up….Ofcourse I'm talking about the fish finder. Any thing I am wanting to keep dry on the yak especially when coming in thru the waves I will put into a dry bag while on calmer water.

http://www.backcountry.com/sealline-...FcURMwodemMALA

you may be able to find it cheaper. Just the first one to pop up on google.
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:29 AM   #5
Zfish03

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleborn View Post
when in doubt bag it up….Ofcourse I'm talking about the fish finder. Any thing I am wanting to keep dry on the yak especially when coming in thru the waves I will put into a dry bag while on calmer water.

http://www.backcountry.com/sealline-...FcURMwodemMALA

you may be able to find it cheaper. Just the first one to pop up on google.
X2 bag it and secure it on entry and return. Give it a good fresh water wipe down when you get home. Put some dielectric gel and corrosion protectant on it. I've lost one because I didn't do this (it caught on fire at the launch, literally). Fortunately I had insurance on it.
Zfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #6
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

I have a rubber cap I put over the connection to the FF, found it at Wal-Mart and it's for something else. I'll see if I can find the package to show it off. I disconnect the FF before launch and landing and stow it in my center hatch, in a bag of course. As soon as I'm loaded on the truck I remove my little cap and spray the connection with electrical contact cleaner and reapply dielectric grease, save with the FF. Been going strong for over a year now with no signs of corrosion. I am super good about taking care of it, especially since it was more expensive than the yak I put it on.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfish03 View Post
X2 bag it and secure it on entry and return. Give it a good fresh water wipe down when you get home. Put some dielectric gel and corrosion protectant on it. I've lost one because I didn't do this (it caught on fire at the launch, literally). Fortunately I had insurance on it.
Your fish finder caught on fire!?!? knowing you, you weren't even mad about it.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
Dail14

I once wiped out in La Jolla and my fish finder has not shown any adverse effects even though it spent a bit of time completely submerged . However it is a basic fishfinder with less ports delicate equipment than many people use. Its a piranhamax 150. You could always disconnect it from the power and transducer and store it below deck if your yak has a front hatch (most malibus). If you leave it connected make sure the power and transducer ports are as plugged in as possible to prevent water from leaking in there.
Dail14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #9
Raskal311

Anything I can't afford to get wet (extensive reels and fish finder) goes in zip lock bags and dry bag prior to re entry. May as well since I would have to put them away on the beach anyway.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #10
T-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfish03 View Post
x2. Use dielectric grease and rinse with fresh water when you get home. I've never had to use my insurance from West Marine, but it does give some peace of mind!
Old 03-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #11
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

FFs are waterproof. If it fails due to submersion then just get a new one under warranty. Mine gets soaked and sprayed every time it goes out. It gets hosed down every time it comes back. It still works fine after 1.5 years. Dielectric grease on the connection is the only special treatment it gets.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #12
FISH11

Keeping die electric grease on both the fish finder terminals and the harness plug terminal helps prevent corrosion. Provably just as important is to disconnect the battery terminals before disconnecting the Fish finder that will prevent electrolysis because there won't be any electrical current in the wiring. I go trough and back again in the surf at LJ and have not had any problems following that rule.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote