Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
madncrzydm

GPS ?

Im looking into getting a gps to use while out on my kayak/ hiking. I do not have a gps with my fishfinder and im looking to spend no more than 200 bucks. Does anyone have any sugestions or experience using a handheld gps from the yak?
Old 02-04-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
MrM

I bought the navionics app for the iPhone, it was 10 bucks. Works great! Just don't lose your phone.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
madncrzydm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM View Post
I bought the navionics app for the iPhone, it was 10 bucks. Works great! Just don't lose your phone.
I wish that would work but im looking gfor something dual purpose for hiking as well I centire out pretty far in to the mountains and deserts and cell phone reception out there is usually vet little to none.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
Drake

Since you're military, register for Promotive.com

Looks like the eXplorist 510 Marine Edition might work well for you. It's a little out of your price range, but for what you're getting it's a good deal... and you're getting almost $200 off MSRP for serving your country

Pretty good amazon reviews too
http://www.amazon.com/Magellan-TX051...owViewpoints=1

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/11/m...ation-boaters/

Last edited by Drake; 02-04-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
madncrzydm

Thanks I appreciate it. I coukd spend a few extra bucks for better quality.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by madncrzydm View Post
Thanks I appreciate it. I coukd spend a few extra bucks for better quality.
I think you'll like it because it serves just as good as a marine unit and a hiking unit.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
Siebler

FYI about the Promotive deal on GPS. I have been shopping lately as well and you can get cheaper on Ebay than Promotive on a lot of stuff. GPS and a lot of Optics are this way. Other items are way awesome deals.

That Explorist is the one I have decided on for the most part. Only other cool one I am really looking at is the Delorme PN 60 paired up with the In-Reach system. Really cool because people can check your tracks in Real Time when on longer hikes/paddles/etc. Also gives you ability to transmit texts and such even when you have no cell coverage (this is available both with the GPS or with smart phones). Cost on the PN60 is higher but its pretty awesome. Delorme does Pro Deals but currently the GPS isnt available, only the In-Reach systems.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
JarrodMc

Drake, does LEO get deals on Promotive?
JarrodMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
madncrzydm

I decided on one I just got the etrex 20 im just sticking with something nice and simple thanks for all the advice though. And yes leo does get deals on promotive.com