Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
newportdogs

Catalina camping and kayak fishing

Thought I’d share year 3 of camping and kayak fishing at a Catalina boat in camp site with my two sons. This year we were there for 4 nights and 4 days.

Beautiful weather again with some wind in the afternoon and a bit cooler in the evenings than past years. In 3 years we haven’t yet been blown off the water. Fishing improved everyday with the last day nearly wide open in the morning before we had to pack up to leave.

We threw 7” Berkeley Jerk Shad for Calico the entire trip except for day 3 when we decided to make bait and try for YT. Bait was tough that day. What bait we did find caught nothing but more Calico (OK by us). All C&R.

Fishing from the shore in the evenings is all rays and sharks.

On day 2 we took a boat ride to the back side of the island to target Calico. Hard to believe they grow Calico that big on the back side. Swimming out to the boat at 6AM is an eye opener.

Snorkeling was really unbelievable. Still images below from a GoPro. Check out the Calico sitting next to the Garibaldi and the Octopus in the other.

One of my sons is really quite good at home brewing so he brewed our second year of 2013 Black Lava IPA using home grown backyard Newport hops and a splash of sea water. You’d be surprised how good that tastes after only two days of fermentation in a cooler.

And when we weren’t drinking camp site brew…………….

newportdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
kaya_one

Awesome adventure. What is the site name or location?
Did you have to haul in everything on the yaks or a boat?
Fishin', Drinkin', Campin' (Snorkelin' - throw in some surfing wave for me and I wouldn't leave)...that is the life.
kaya_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
steveooo

Bad Ass! What a cool trip

Nice hoppy beer selection too
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
Amish Ed

That is one sweet trip you had. Thanks for posting up the report.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
DanaPT

great beer selection. I like that they are available in cans too.

that's a trip worth going back for.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
blitzburgh

Really cool!
Old 08-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
Raskal311

Did you boat your kayak to the island yourself? Sweet trip.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
Aaron&Julie

Nice mini-vacation! What kind of costs were incurred, i.e. ferry ride, campsite fees, boat taxi fees, boat fishing fees? Any info what be appreciated.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
Nice mini-vacation! What kind of costs were incurred, i.e. ferry ride, campsite fees, boat taxi fees, boat fishing fees? Any info what be appreciated.
Those who have done it will know better than I do but this website was kinda useful

http://kayakcatalinaisland.com/kayak-camping/
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
newportdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
Aaron&Julie and others who asked questions, I'll come back with some thoughts regarding how we arrange the trip each year. The company posted by Sdspeed is part of the process. Thanks
Old 08-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Sounds like an awesome family outing, hard to beat the calico action. Please post the details. Thank you for your post.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #12
stephenG

That looks like an awesome time, I'd love to do a trip like that with my boy when he gets a bit older. Congrats on several solid calico bass too.
stephenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
lamb

Very cool trip,
great pics!!!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #14
beef78
Large Member

I think I need to do a trip like this! Pretty awesome!
Old 08-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #15
Linglifter

Wow that is nice! As long as I can get my own yak over there. Wondering if there is a ferry that will carry your kayaks. Thanks for sharing!
Linglifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #16
SASQUATCH

Did you have to bring your own firewood? Nothing beats a fire on the beach at night. Four days of firewood for me would be a barge load....lol great post and pictures.
SASQUATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #17
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linglifter View Post
Wow that is nice! As long as I can get my own yak over there. Wondering if there is a ferry that will carry your kayaks. Thanks for sharing!
Catalina Frieght Lines: Catalina Freight Line is located at the old SS Catalina Wharf. Phone: 310-549-4004
100 W. Water Street (Berth 184) in Los Angeles Harbor, Wilmington CA 90744

sample quote from their web page. http://www.catalinafreight.com/

Item # 1
Items to be shipped Kayak
Ship From and To Wilmington to Avalon
One Way / Round Trip Round Trip
Quantity 1
Shipment Date Saturday, August 24th, 2013
SubTotal $ 67.50
Fuel Surcharge $ 13.50
Grand Total $ 81.00

Info from this Catilina Camping site helps, maybe be cheaper to rent one when you get there!
http://kayakcatalinaisland.com/kayak-camping/
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #18
Linglifter

That is very valuable info thanks u so much for that. Should start our own mothers ship tours all summer. Thanks again
Linglifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #19
beef78
Large Member

I wish I had the time for a trip out there!
Old 08-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #20
newportdogs

Some here have requested details around the trip. Here’s how we manage the trip and some thoughts on alternative options.

Where we stay
We stay at Lava Wall. In the Descanso site below you’ll see a map of the boat in camp site locations along the front side of the island and the number of sites at each location. Bounce the sites off MLPA areas so you understand where you have to paddle to fish. The web site has a lot of information about camping on the island. The first year we stayed at Italian Gardens B. That’s a great site but is now in a MLPA zone. Keep in mind the current and wind can change so straying too far from the camp site could be a tough paddle getting back.
http://kayakcatalinaisland.com/

Getting stuff to the island
We ship the kayaks and gear using Catalina Freight Lines. With the Marina Del Rey ferry no longer in business there is no other way to get your kayaks to Catalina.
You’ll find rates in the link below. Kayaks are $80 round trip. The cost to ship additional gear is pretty reasonable. Their business hours and 405 traffic could be an issue if you don’t live within reasonable driving distance. If you use them, they are friendly, customer oriented, treat your gear with care and you can be in and out of there in 15 minutes. Don’t forget you have to go back and pick it up after the return trip.
http://catalinafreight.com/

If using the freight line is not an option, then you can rent fishing kayaks (Ocean Kayaks) from Descanso Beach Ocean Sports. They have kayaks with rod holders. The cost is $140 for 3 days. That’s $60 more than using the freight service however with your gas and time not included it’s not much more than shipping. They also rent all the camping gear you may need as well.

Getting to the Island
We use the Catalina Express out of Newport, the cost is $70 round trip. You can carry on two bags each. We carry our rods on as well. They do not go to Two Harbors, there are other boats that do.

Getting to the site from Avalon
We use Descanso Beach Ocean Sports to get our gear to the site. The owner, Randy, will pick up your kayaks and gear prior to your arrival and have it on his boat at the dock when you arrive. You walk off the ferry, over 2 docks and you are on the way. Or worst case, Randy has it staged right by the dock and you help carry it down and help load his boat. Randy will also buy anything you need, water, propane, wood, ice and have it on the boat. The costs for this are identified in the site.

Note you need a portable PETT toilet for the camp site. Not something most people have. We invested in one because we go every year. Randy can rent that to you. The rangers check to make sure you have this and Randy is one of the rangers. You must pack everything out including trash and waste.

There may be cheaper options than using the boat service to get to the site. Using Randy to truck your kayaks to Two Harbors on the west end may be a cheaper option. Check to make sure your ferry service goes to Two Harbors. You can then meet Randy in Two Harbors. If you are traveling light, you can then paddle with the wind and the current to camp sites east of Two Harbors. Or you can camp in Two Harbors.

I’ve seen posts here where Iceman coordinated trips to the back side. Using Randy to get your kayaks there is an option. I’m not sure how you would get there unless Randy has an option to drive you.

Leaving the site
Randy will pick you up around noon, you help him drop off the gear at Catalina Freight lines and the ferries return the mainland around 4 or so.

Overall cost
You can use the pricing in the web sites to identify what trip will cost. If you have the budget for this I would highly recommend it. If you like any combination of the following I don’t think you can top this trip: the beach, kayaks, fishing, ocean, freeze dried food, bathing in the ocean, only seeing people when they pass by on boats, portable toilets, no email, no laptops and if you so choose, top shelf rum and tequila and good beer.

If you would like more information please send a PM.