Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
JohnnyCope
The Four-Finger discount

Tour

I got some folks of mine coming from France , I would like to take them on a tour on the yaks. In would be great to get them to see alot of sea life and a large amounts of rocks would be cool. It does not matter if it is a beach launch or a bay launch I would like to keep in Orange county or Los Angeles county but if a must see place is else where by all means let me know.

Johnny
JohnnyCope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
Amish Ed

Take them down to Corona Del Mar (launch on the peninsula or at the USCG beach). There's an small arch about a half mile to a mile south of the harbor. If the water is clear, lots of Garibaldi. Plus, you got all the sea lions around the bait barge.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
jorluivil

If you need extra yaks go see Andy at OEX, you can launch right next to his shop and paddle around that entire area.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:15 AM   #4
JohnnyCope
The Four-Finger discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Take them down to Corona Del Mar (launch on the peninsula or at the USCG beach). There's an small arch about a half mile to a mile south of the harbor. If the water is clear, lots of Garibaldi. Plus, you got all the sea lions around the bait barge.

That is place that came to mind.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
JohnnyCope
The Four-Finger discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
If you need extra yaks go see Andy at OEX, you can launch right next to his shop and paddle around that entire area.
It follows around alot of houses right ?
Old 08-02-2012, 03:20 AM   #6
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCope View Post
It follows around alot of houses right ?
Lots of houses and lots of eye candy

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:26 AM   #7
Mongo Johnson

Sunset Beach OEX is on PCH at Huntington Harbor. Easy access to affordable rentals and the water. A nice tourist tour. More bay/marina and a bit of wetlands than any open ocean/surf or rock garden.

You have an EASY lake beach-like entry into the 1%'er marina/homes area. And, you have some wetland-like areas adjacent to the boats on the way to the ocean - about .75 miles paddle from launch. (Powered boat transit only out of bay, past mole to ocean as it is part of the Naval Weapons Station area, and the wetlands area backs up to that reservation too and restricted areas.) Nice marina, homes, wetlands.

Alamitos Bay in Long Beach has rentals too and a very nice bay area to paddle around in. Once around the main Naples Island is 3 miles with very wide avenues, and you can duck into small single craft-wide inner channels amidst the homes of Naples Island.

You'll find some Duffy boats, SUP'ers, aqua bikes, crew rowers/skulls, maybe a seal or a turtle in this area. There are places to tie up near Marina Pacifica if you want to go for a tasty beverage. NOT crowded week days.

Access to ocean from rentals is a solid mile paddle. Exiting to the ocean you'll be about 1 mi. north of Seal Beach Pier and at the southern exteme of LB Harbor. There's oil islands there and the end of the breakwater. I was recently told there's a bait barge and seals at the breakwater. Maybe a bit north.

If thats your destination, you might beach launch from within the harbor, off Claremont. That would mean humping your rentals over to a metered lot at Bayshore and Ocean -- and a ramp across some the sand beach where they accommodate cat's and kiters. May not be practical without yak wheels or a pickup so getting rentals there might not be doable. I don't know if they rent over on the harbor side, possible.

Beach lauch within breakwatered area. Lots less a paddle to open space/non-marina area. May find a lot of kiters etc. Closer to the breakwater/seals.

Great bike trail there for any non-yakkers. Less than 1 mi north on trail to food/drink, LB Pier and a few more to Queen Mary/Shoreline Village.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

If she's hot she can sit in my lap.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
JohnnyCope
The Four-Finger discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
If she's hot she can sit in my lap.

French girls tend not to bathe and have hairy pits! So if you are ok with that by all means you take her on the tour !
Old 08-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
JohnnyCope
The Four-Finger discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Lots of houses and lots of eye candy
Huh then I won't have my wife join me !

And Thanks for the info Mongo !
Old 08-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

I got a weed wacker.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
Salty Dog
loves bacon

Newport Harbor
Take a tour of all the restaurants (with fully loaded bars) accessible by kayak.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #13
JohnnyCope
The Four-Finger discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
I got a weed wacker.
Good because you will be needing it !
Old 08-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
JohnnyCope
The Four-Finger discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
Newport Harbor
Take a tour of all the restaurants (with fully loaded bars) accessible by kayak.

Ya Newport it is going to be. I know the area the best. I had the answer before I did this post! Hang me please !
Old 08-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #15
Mongo Johnson

Ah, the poor LB seals will be soooo lonely!

When you have a chance, add a "Newport Tour" thumbnail narrative here. My wife and I were kicking around going there Saturday and I don't know it at all.

Is the back bay something to see or should we just join the weekend zoo? Good lauch point?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #16
JohnnyCope
The Four-Finger discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo Johnson View Post
Ah, the poor LB seals will be soooo lonely!

When you have a chance, add a "Newport Tour" thumbnail narrative here. My wife and I were kicking around going there Saturday and I don't know it at all.

Is the back bay something to see or should we just join the weekend zoo? Good lauch point?
Balboa baby beach for a fast way out of the harbor but bad parking! On the north side . Coast Guard station for good parking but need a cart to haul yak! That is on south side. I have never paddled in the bay always out !
Old 08-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #17
Mongo Johnson

We found the mammals

Due "east" of the oil island . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo Johnson View Post
There's oil islands there and the end of the breakwater. I was recently told there's a bait barge and seals at the breakwater. Maybe a bit north.

If thats your destination, you might beach launch from within the harbor, off Claremont. That would mean humping your rentals over to a metered lot at Bayshore and Ocean -- and a ramp across some the sand beach where they accommodate cat's and kiters. May not be practical without yak wheels or a pickup so getting rentals there might not be doable. I don't know if they rent over on the harbor side, possible.

Beach lauch within breakwatered area. Lots less a paddle to open space/non-marina area. May find a lot of kiters etc. Closer to the breakwater/seals.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #18
JohnnyCope
The Four-Finger discount

Nice ! We hit up Newport and tried to hit CDM but it was dicey. I didn't want to take the family in the mess and freak them out. So kicked it in the bay.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #19
Mongo Johnson

Some of the info noted here inspired me to one of the Newport launch sites. It was a bit like that boating scene in Caddhyshack, in slo-mo.

The short paddle out to the sea was easy. What a surprise seeing and hearing that a mass of humanity at the beach near the jetty -- like Pirates of the Carribean.

Turning at the jetty revealed an ant hill of folks at CDM. Yikes, what a herd. Glad we were offshore.