Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 03:15 PM   #1
bdkirby

Send a message via AIM to bdkirby Send a message via Yahoo to bdkirby
11/7, 8:00 AM- 3:00 PM

Lot's and Lot's of bait north of the pier, tried a bouncing ball rig, complete with jensen dodger. No luck on 4 or 5 drifts. I learned the importance of a three way swivel, the bait kept swimming tangles into the rig (I tried a Line-thru-swivel to attach the weight). I will definitely try again with a three way swivel. I think my ball weight may have been on the heavy side too, 16 ounces too much?

At about 11:00 I decided to move up to the kelp and try some bass fishing so I hooked a greenie on a flyline and began a slow steady paddle around the edge of the reserve.

Got out to the kelp around 12:00 and saw flocks of birds crashing the water about a mile from the edge of the reserve. I put it in full gear but the action moved well beyond my desire to paddle by the time I made it out there.

I finished the day by trying for some topwater calico action just to get the feel of a bite, No beans.

Final Count: Limitless Macks, and generous helpings of peace and solitude!
Old 11-09-2005, 07:32 AM   #2
Ojos_raros

Quote:
generous helpings of peace and solitude!

well said
Ojos_raros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:07 AM   #3
lamb

From what I gathered from the ones that know for sure – the weight of your ball will depend on conditions, mainly current. Have different size balls handy.

I’ve also been told that you can drop the dodger. Makes it easier and less prone to tangles, still works.

But what the hell do I know - I never caught halibut from a kayak. :lol:
Old 11-09-2005, 11:07 AM   #4
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb
From what I gathered from the ones that know for sure – the weight of your ball will depend on conditions, mainly current. Have different size balls handy.

I’ve also been told that you can drop the dodger. Makes it easier and less prone to tangles, still works.

I only have one size of ball? What do I do?
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:49 AM   #5
Dr Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb

I only have one size of ball? What do I do?
Get bigger balls!!! Noah's sells the cannon balls. Granted this was off a whaler but we used a 24 oz. with success but really got a good bounce with a 2# ball. Just remember to buy the break away swivels. They bust off at 10-12#. A pack or 8 or so what like 99 cents or maybe 1.99. Better to just lose the ball instead of the whole rig...........like I did a few weeks back. Just remember to clip the rig the the break away and not directly to the ball........like I did a few weeks back. ops:
Dr Evil is offline   Reply With Quote