Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
Yakking101
Junior

Mission for Sashimi...

Heard the bite had been picking up some, so made it down for an afternoon outing at LJ.

I had high hopes because the morning crew that were headed in had done well. Can you say ZOO?

Its hard to tell, because it was so overcast... But as far as you could see there were people about every 50 yards. Had to stake your claim and wait. Didnt see any action all afternoon.

I managed one barracuda after searching for a little warmer water. :shock:

I managed to make it down a second day, but after having to use the windshield wipers for a while on the freeway, I figured that I would just turn around once I got to the beach.

You know those days when staring out at treacherous launching conditions, you sit there for 45 minutes, trying to come up with ANY reason not to go out? And you are so grateful that there is someone headed out before you, as you mentally time the sets and come up with a 50/50 chance that you will actually make it through the surf?

Well... It wasn't one of those days.

Now these are the conditions I was looking for!

On the paddle out I came across an interesting sight.

Cruising about 6 inches below the surface, and about a foot in diameter. Had a little photo session before continuing on my mission.

You can even see the little crab-like hitch hikers.

A good sign, even the bait was hungry.

But so were the dogs.

While trolling and throwing at boils (which ended up just being a ton of HUGE mackerel) I hear the sweet sweet sound of the clicker peeling off line!

I grab the rod and can feel the fish taking off for the bottom, and then feels heavy... really heavy. Must be a thresher. It starts towing me out to sea and slowly making its way for the surface, definitely a thresher. As I am getting towed past a Pb, a HUGE sea lion comes flying out of the water with a yellowtail in its mouth! YOU BASTARD!!

I can see he has it barely by the tail, I have a chance still. I just have to keep pressure on him and wait. I start gaining ground to the cheers of the guys on the PB. "Show that seal who's boss!!"

He gives it up but to my amazement, the fish still has fight in him! The dog gets him by the tail again, but is right under my kayak. I grab my gaff and am going to get my fish back! He lets go again and as I am about to make a quick gaff shot the seal lion grabs the tail and almost pulls me out of the kayak... I have to drop my gaff and grab the side of the 'yak to stay upright. We go for another short tow as my gaff gets left floating behind.

I hear from the same PB "Pull 'em into your lap as fast as you can!" Why didnt I think of that!? The dog releases him for the last time, and chases it all the way to my kayak as I yank the fish into my lap, and verbally assert my dominance to the pissed off sea lion.

The guys on the boat kept an eye on my floating gaff, and thanked me for the day's entertainment. :lol:

One YT on deck with a shredded tail, but I knew there was another somewhere with my name on it.

Trolled for the rest of the day, wide open for short periods. Saw 3 guys in a boat get a triple hook up. But the boil was too close to their boat, and with 3 lines in the water I wouldnt want to hook up and get in a crazy tangle.

Josh Pruitt shows up to the scene with a couple lucky clients. He gets them on fish, and seconds before I can find my second fish. Hard fight, but nothing as exciting as battling the dog.

I thought this gaff shot sequence I took of Josh was pretty cool.

Look at that extension!

I was exhausted, sunburnt, and stoked!

If you made it this far... I guess I cant make a long story short, but it was a great day on the water!

P.S.

I made the cover of Kayak Fisherman! SWEEET!

Yakking101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
steamroll

Great report. Those jelly fish pics are insane!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
fishinkid2010

Congrats! That was a terrific report.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
shortstack

pics

Very nice pics!!! Some of the best I've seen. I love the action shots.
shortstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Aaron

epic report. Was this yesterday? I was on the edge of calling in sick to run out there. As in, I made the call and they told me "No, you're healthy and the fish will be there on friday." Evidently they were there for you too! Congrats.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #6
dfroggy54
Rolly

What an awesome report!! Congrats on the Cover shot! Great fishing for sure..suuuuper extension haha!
dfroggy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
batty1of3

gonna try again tomorrow though this chest cold that is lingering is making me think twice
batty1of3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
dmrides

Those are some nice tails. Way to show the dogs who is boss. Nice Jelly shots.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #9
sdfisher

great report and good job on the yellows!

my girl and I were at the shores last friday and saw half of one of those huge jellyfish wash up on the shore, looked like something ate half of it but it was still huge!

does josh fillet the fish for his clients too? haha
sdfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #10
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Great report and pics...Nice to hear some PB'ers watch out for us...figuratively speaking of course...

Time for a sea dog with a skunk in its mouth smilie thingy...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #11
Yakking101
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
Great report and pics...Nice to hear some PB'ers watch out for us...figuratively speaking of course...

Time for a sea dog with a skunk in its mouth smilie thingy...
On the way in, there was a small group of birds crashing... and 2 guys raced for it, threw the boat into neutral and started throwing irons. What they didnt notice was that they put the boat on a direct collision course with me which was still moving pretty good. But nobody was looking in front of them once they saw the birds... luckily I was able to get out of the way in time.

But the guys watching the sea lion show were cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfisher View Post

does josh fillet the fish for his clients too? haha
No but after I had leg surgery and they closed down the launch, he would haul the kayak to my car for me. full service fishing!
Yakking101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #12
j mo

youre on a serious hot streak....nice report and pics!
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #13
TCS

Nice report, thanks
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #14
driftwood

This is what i call 5 star customer service!!

driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #15
danny
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakking101 View Post
Heard the bite had been picking up some, so made it down for an afternoon outing at LJ.

I had high hopes because the morning crew that were headed in had done well. Can you say ZOO?

Its hard to tell, because it was so overcast... But as far as you could see there were people about every 50 yards. Had to stake your claim and wait. Didnt see any action all afternoon.

I managed one barracuda after searching for a little warmer water. :shock:

I managed to make it down a second day, but after having to use the windshield wipers for a while on the freeway, I figured that I would just turn around once I got to the beach.

You know those days when staring out at treacherous launching conditions, you sit there for 45 minutes, trying to come up with ANY reason not to go out? And you are so grateful that there is someone headed out before you, as you mentally time the sets and come up with a 50/50 chance that you will actually make it through the surf?

Well... It wasn't one of those days.

Now these are the conditions I was looking for!

On the paddle out I came across an interesting sight.

Cruising about 6 inches below the surface, and about a foot in diameter. Had a little photo session before continuing on my mission.

You can even see the little crab-like hitch hikers.

A good sign, even the bait was hungry.

But so were the dogs.

While trolling and throwing at boils (which ended up just being a ton of HUGE mackerel) I hear the sweet sweet sound of the clicker peeling off line!

I grab the rod and can feel the fish taking off for the bottom, and then feels heavy... really heavy. Must be a thresher. It starts towing me out to sea and slowly making its way for the surface, definitely a thresher. As I am getting towed past a Pb, a HUGE sea lion comes flying out of the water with a yellowtail in its mouth! YOU BASTARD!!

I can see he has it barely by the tail, I have a chance still. I just have to keep pressure on him and wait. I start gaining ground to the cheers of the guys on the PB. "Show that seal who's boss!!"

He gives it up but to my amazement, the fish still has fight in him! The dog gets him by the tail again, but is right under my kayak. I grab my gaff and am going to get my fish back! He lets go again and as I am about to make a quick gaff shot the seal lion grabs the tail and almost pulls me out of the kayak... I have to drop my gaff and grab the side of the 'yak to stay upright. We go for another short tow as my gaff gets left floating behind.

I hear from the same PB "Pull 'em into your lap as fast as you can!" Why didnt I think of that!? The dog releases him for the last time, and chases it all the way to my kayak as I yank the fish into my lap, and verbally assert my dominance to the pissed off sea lion.

The guys on the boat kept an eye on my floating gaff, and thanked me for the day's entertainment. :lol:

One YT on deck with a shredded tail, but I knew there was another somewhere with my name on it.

Trolled for the rest of the day, wide open for short periods. Saw 3 guys in a boat get a triple hook up. But the boil was too close to their boat, and with 3 lines in the water I wouldnt want to hook up and get in a crazy tangle.

Josh Pruitt shows up to the scene with a couple lucky clients. He gets them on fish, and seconds before I can find my second fish. Hard fight, but nothing as exciting as battling the dog.

I thought this gaff shot sequence I took of Josh was pretty cool.

Look at that extension!

I was exhausted, sunburnt, and stoked!

If you made it this far... I guess I cant make a long story short, but it was a great day on the water!

P.S.

I made the cover of Kayak Fisherman! SWEEET!

Nice fish
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #16
roadx

thanks for the cool jellyfish desktop background , enjoyed the write up and nice catch!
roadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #17
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
This is what i call 5 star customer service!!

Seems like everytime someone tries to help me out by going deep for one like that, gaff gets wrapped and *pop*. He obviously pulled it off and that's a great pic!
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:04 PM   #18
aftahour

great pics and report.. glad u didnt go in the water..
aftahour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #19
Dennis

Good stuff!