Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2006, 08:01 AM   #21
PAL

In the interest of clarity, I was the one who told Lawman about this post. Why, you are asking? If Lawman wasn't the person who according to Will supposedly said "We will never see a 100 fish day again in Mission Bay," then Bill certainly knows the source of the quote (if accurate). Further, Lawman has commented to me on numerous occaisons that Will's continued assertions that my one-time story on Mission Bay has increased fishing pressure are false.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:58 AM   #22
Ed
Fringe Head

As a person trapped behind a desk all week, I would like to thank everyone who posts reports on the yaks boards. I live vicariously through these posts. I do not chase the reports around trying to increase my success.

As far as Will B's assertion that posts and articles somehow threaten future fish stocks and wipe out fisheries, this is not accurate. Each fish harvested is not a net loss to the population. These are compensatory populations. There is a harvestable surplus in our fish populations. Harvestable surplus is the number of individuals that can be harvested from a population without affecting long term stability or average population size.

As mortality (harvest plus natural mortality) increases, natality (birth rate) and recruitment also increase. Growth rates also increase as mortality increases. Limits are based on the amount of havestable surplus in a population. If data shows a long term decline in a population, the harvestable surplus has been exceeded and limits are adjusted accordingly. This is why I have been able to harvest fish in San Diego for over 40 years.

If you really are catching 100 spotted bass a day, then some harvest would likely increase the size of those spotties. Thank those meat hunters because they are helping you catch bigger bass. Yeah, I already pissed off a bunch of people this week, so what's a couple more.

Good Fishing, Kayote (AKA Seal Boy)
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:22 PM   #23
lawman

To Will Bowen

I fish Mission bay every weekend. Over the last 7 trips I have seen at most one other boat fishing MB. That other boat was practicing C & R. The bay is wide open and has very little fishing pressure. Tournaments may have added some different fishing pressure not realized in past years. Since you fish every kayak tournament I am sure you don't feel they have a negative impact. The bays have cycles. Some years it is 100 fish days and other years it is difficult to scratch 10. Yellowtail are a pelegic species and private boaters in La Joola are not going to be of any concern on Yellowtail populations. Unlike Calico Bass, Yellowtail grow very fast. A Bass is a fish that should be released. A kayak angler taking home 2 fish that God created as a food fish seems appropriate.
lawman is offline   Reply With Quote