Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
Phishphood

What new reel?

Alright, so I'm looking at getting a new reel for bass/sabiki/general light usage. I've got my current workhorses as: Daiwa saltist 40HA and Daiwa Sealine LD50H which get me through La Jolla just fine so far. Granted I don't cast too much and haven't fished any surface irons but I'll get there eventually.

Right now I'm using an old spinning reel for sabiki and random lures for bait and it works well enough but I'd love to get in to the bait casting realm. It would either be paired with a Shakespeare 6'6" graphite composite medium action (6-17lb) rod or a Fenwick 8'10" E-glass 15-30lb 1-2.5oz rod. I know neither of them are great rods but they're what I've got to work with.

Had some recommendations for a Curado 200I but also looked at some Abu-Garcia's etc. The Curado 200G any good? Sure a Torium would probably fit the bill too but unless there's a great deal to be had I'm probably not in the market for one unless you guys think they really are the bees knees. Looking around $100 or less.

Thanks a lot guys and tight lines...
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:31 PM   #2
BIG JOAQUIN

If you feel the need to change out your functional spinning tackle you might want to check out the Lew's Speed Spool Inshore LFS series reel. It's $129 so a little outside of your budget but prepared for salt and sized for calico and smaller inshore species.
BIG JOAQUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:15 PM   #3
igotpron
Xcoastie

What I use is my fly line rig now. Clip shortened Sabiki straight to my ringed hook catch my bait and put away sabiki. This past summer I had some rat yellows slam my sabiki. So now I fish larger hooks and at 40lb sabikis. Plus you can rip it right out of the kelp if you get hung up., and untangling is much easier with thicker line.

That's what works for me. I keep smaller sabikis if I have trouble getting them to bite. But usually rare. So my vote is for a saltist, or an avet sx. Handle bait, Bonita and yellows beautifully. Usually have my Saltist on flyline, that high speed cranking gets my macs to skip across the surface when the dogs are on you.
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:45 PM   #4
FullFlavorPike

If you're going to invest, invest in something you wouldn't mind using as a backup. No reason to fish light tackle on the sabiki. Might as well horse those macks to the boat with a decent backup rig.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote