Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-22-2020, 01:23 PM   #1
Hunters Pa

Tuna Rigging Kit??

Has anyone put together their own kit for rigging jigs for tuna? If so, what did you include and what did you get and end up not needing?

And was it worth it over having tackle shops do it or buying pre-rigged?
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:04 AM   #2
TJones

Flat Fall Rigs?

I would say just buy the rig pre made. Heck ya it is worth it, especially if you catch a cow. Is it cheap? By no means. Yes you can save some money making your own, but probably not as much as you think if your gonna use high end parts. Price it out. I asked employee about this at one of my local tackle stores. Parts add up fast, especially with the cost of the proper tool. Let us know how you did.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #3
Salty

Depends on the type of rig you're working with and how frequently you go. My friend and I split the cost of our rigging supplies and he already has most of the tools anyway. So any rigging I buy is "for the boat." We mostly fish for jumbo BFT on a kite rig which involves a lot of small pieces that add up very quickly. It hurts when looking at the price of a small roll of 300lb fluoro... But at certain times of the year we will go 2 times a week. And he will take clients out for "business trips" sometimes even more. So for us it makes sense to build our own.
Certain rigs I'll buy pre-rigged if I have to. Like deep-dropping for daytime swordfish. That rig is a pain in the ass when done right. 10lb weight, LED flashers spaced out on a 30' leader, plus all the other monster swivels and stuff. We only do it 1-2 times a year at this point, so if we plan to do it, we'll just buy the rig.
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:19 AM   #4
Hunters Pa

Thanks for comments. I’m asking mainly about rigging flat fall type jigs
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote