Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

FINALLY MY FIRST YT..AND THEN MY SECOND!

Decided to play hookie from work (asked for a day of leave from the Navy)yesterday and go out to the Jewel for my 9th time out. I was skunked each and every time out but I kept seeing everyone's posts and knew that my time will come. I have only been kayak fishing since March and quickly moved up from a Cobra kayak to a Hobie once I felt the addiction flowing through my veins. I went straight to the 2015 Hobie PA 14, and haven't looked back since. I am retiring from the Navy after 20 years in 74 days (but whose counting) and after 6 deployment with 2 to Afghanistan, I have found that this outlet of fishing has really helped me deal with some things from those deployments. Everyone I have met on the beach, in the water or on BWE has been amazing and just down to earth and always willing to give advice and assistance, with a few shoutouts to flemdogg, Batmann, and Mr. Niceguy. The camaraderie really reminds me of the military and being a tightknit group. I had always seen Yannis recipes and was wondering..when will it be my time to make them! This forum has really helped me become better with everyone always adding what their setups are and how and where they were hooking up..so to everyone THANK YOU!

Sorry back to yesterday, was in water by 5:40 a.m. and it just felt like it was going to be a great day. The last time I was out I had a horrible time making bait with Batmann having same problems. This time I went out with some tiny pieces of squid marinated in my secret ingredient "Buttjuice" made by Procure with the end game being Halibuts..go figure. I posted up outside the kelp and within 5 minutes had 8 Spanish with my first bait fish being a 12" greenback that shook himself off right next to yak. I peddled right into a few boils and had the tank full with 13 Spanish all within 30 min. I had been talking to a few people and the census was get into water at about 150-180 depth, so I headed straight out from La Jolla Cove, past the corner and at about 1/2 mile off corner started trolling a Spanish. I looked at my phone..time on deck 7:53 a.m., I knew that from most of the threads I have read..between 8 and 9 seemed to be the golden hour. Within 15 minutes, my Shimano Baitrunner 12000 started to sing that sweet sound, I let it go for about 8 seconds then clicked off the secondary drag and engaged in battle. At first I don't think he knew he was hooked, once I started to lay wood to him with my 7' Seeker Black Steele he knew the Reaper was coming for him and he took off to the depths. Once again my Shimano started to scream, and I swore I heard it say..."Not today son, I need you to cease and desist!" He took me for a another run, and once I saw color, knowing that my first YT was within my gafs reach, I tried not to get into goon mode and do something stupid. Got him yak side, sank the gaf and then proceeded to go into full goon mode, hooting and hollering, and more than likely scared the fish away. So if anyone was out there with me and saw me go into full new guy mode, I apologize, next time I celebrate in silence . Once the euphoria calmed down, I threw another Spanish in and started to head out west, with my confidence now fully restored. I circled back, went back over the spot I had marked on my FF, and instantly got slammed, and my reel went crazy. I had some guys off my port side cheering me on once they heard it screaming and I let it run another 8 seconds then engaged. I had yelled out to the others that this was my second in this area and that they are in this area and within a minute one of them was hooked up! This YT felt bigger and took me deep 4 times, the Shimano has 22# of drag and wore him out and I started cranking, full bendo, and up he came. After reading and listening to every ones stories, they can never compare to that feeling of all that power taking off, and then winning the war of attrition. This one fought for about 15 min, saw color, got him yak side, sank gaff, onboard, numerous fist pumps and couldn't believe it.

I decided that I didn't need to be greedy and that the family and I would be eating great tonight, started paddling in while thanking the man above and mother ocean for providing me such great bounty. I ran into Mr. Niceguy and gave him the rest of my squid concoction and talked fishing for awhile and he took some pics for me so HUGE THANK YOU to him and Lewis who took a pic of my first one while he was fishing.

In the water at 5:40 a.m. off by 11:00, first hook up 8:15ish, 2nd around 9.

My setup was:
7' Seeker Black Steele
Shimano Baitrunner 12000
65# Spiderwire braid in Aqua camo color
About 20 yards of 30# Seaguar premium (this was the first time I had that much on)
3/0 Mustad ringed hook..with double palomar knots I went 2 for 2 no break offs

154' of water, water temp about 73.

My wife, 4 y/o daughter, mother in law, nephew, a couple cousins, and myself enjoyed the bounty last night..because what's the point if you can't share with family and friends!

Once again, I appreciate everyone's time, advice, guidance and just overall generosity when it came to getting my fishing dialed in..If you see me, hit me up, I enjoy talking fishing and meeting new people.

My name is Ryan and I am an addict!

TIGHTLINES my friends!
Attached Images

Last edited by kjsdad619; 08-20-2015 at 11:32 AM. Reason: add picture
kjsdad619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:04 AM   #2
FARRIER

Thank you for your service. Im sure those are the first of many more to come.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #3
Dirty Curti

First of all, THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE! And wish you the best in your retirement. I see lots of fish in your future.

Excellent report and on the water shots. It looks like you are on your way to a successful fishing hobby.

Keep the reports coming.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:12 AM   #4
Deamon

My dad was a lifer in the Navy. Big Congrats on both reaching retirement and nailing your fish!!! Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

thanks for all you do as a member of the armed services!! Great Report and even better fish!!!! Congrats!!!

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #6
Zfish03

Nice twins, that PA needed a good blood bath. Congrats and hooyah
Zfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
ful-rac
Emperor

Congrats man!

Amazing what a silly yellowtail can do for mind body and soul.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #8
HobieScot

First and foremost Thank you for your Service and helping to protect the freedom that we all enjoy!

Second Congrats on your First and your Second YT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:07 PM   #9
mpc

Great write up. Congrats.
mpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #10
flemdogg
Island Blood

Great write up. Glad you got your fish brother, now go get more!
Old 08-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #11
spicolly

Ryan - thank you for your service...awesome catches, too!!!
spicolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #12
tamddo714

Awesome time Ryan! I was the one who was cheering you on then got hooked up!!

tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:40 PM   #13
Murray

Good job sir. Like the others have said, thanks for your service in protecting our freedoms and assisting others in need. Now, get back on the water and get fishing.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #14
1morehobby
Junior

Beautiful write up. I felt the adrenaline of the catch sitting at my computer.

I've always enjoyed fishing and been on party boats & chartered trips. I have an Ocean Kayak. It's time to give kayak fishing a chance. I'll be getting my feet wet in Carpinteria. Thanks for the rush.
1morehobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:02 PM   #15
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamddo714 View Post
Awesome time Ryan! I was the one who was cheering you on then got hooked up!!

Aw sweet, thanks for the motivational hoots and hollers brother!
Old 08-20-2015, 01:12 PM   #16
FISH11

Congrats on your first and second yellows. I'm sure that none will taste any better than those first ones did. Thank you for your service. That was a great write up. The very thing that you mention about kayak fishing relaxing your mind and body is why a lot of us do it and some of us like to volunteer for the Heroes on the Water events to help disabled vets find the same relaxation. There is such an event this Saturday at Tidelands Park in Coronado. If you are ever interested in checking it out or possibly volunteering just check out the link on the forum menu. Again, Thank You for your service, Mark

Last edited by FISH11; 08-20-2015 at 01:19 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:40 PM   #17
micdmechanic
AMPED

Catchin

Hey Ryan, congratulations man. i also got my first yt last week and needless to say it was a great fight. great post and thanks for your service, will be glad to have you out on the water.
James. P.s. I also like to use spinning reels. looks like we can both put them on the deck with that type of hardware.

Last edited by micdmechanic; 08-20-2015 at 01:53 PM.
micdmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #18
surfisher

Like everyone said, THANKS for serving! Number two, very nice fish and well deserved! Number three, bonus points for getting them on the coffee grinder! Yew!
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #19
yakety-yak
D-T-B

Woohoo!

Plastic Fleet hooks Navy!
yakety-yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:13 PM   #20
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

In celebration of this glorious day, how did you decide to prepare your yellowtail for your family and friends when you got home?