Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2006, 12:07 PM   #1
Mike K.

La Jolla 9-1 A.M. Report

Soft sand at the launch and had to help a big black pickup stuck in the sand. Spoke to Jim sammons for a minute. Although I've been fishing on my yak quite a while, we've never met so, nice to meet you Jim. Launched in the dark and headed to the pier. Greenbacks in the 6-8 inch range under the lights but a little slow pickin's. Got 8 or so and headed out. Fairly good breeze out of the NE early on, water felt a tad colder and there was a thick marine layer. Good part was that there was llttle swell and the launch and landing were no sweat. Got to the usual spot in 60-70' off the condo but no luck. No one was having any action so I headed out to deeper water. Possible thermocline?...metered fish out in 75-90 feet. First the weighted rod goes off and up comes a nice fish. Don't have a scale but estimate 13+ lbs. Set out again and withing 15 minutes the low rig goes off again, this time a nicer one estimate 18 +. Time about 7:30. Trolled around a bit more and found two more biters on the top rig this time in about 70', both nice fish. Done by 9:30 with holiday Hamachi on board. Spoke to a few people on the way in and things seemed really slow for most trying the other usual areas. Fair amount of people out but not too crowded and met a couple of nice guys I haven't spoken to before. Can't speak for the current cause I didn't make it out past the point but my area had little except for the wind drift. i've never posted pics before but I'll try...hope they come out