Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
ratdog

Mr "T" and the "fool"

I don't have to tell you who the "fool" was today. I launched at about 5:30 or so. Went straight to the spot and threw my b/w salas until I was ready to puke. Since nothing was happening, except I saw another yaker hooked up briefly on a thresher, very early, I decided to make my way toward the pier to see if I could make some live bait. Made 4 spanish macs and 1 greenback in no time. With one flylined and one wieghted down I very slowly trolled back to the general area. I saw a big splash about 50 yards away and it was another thresher flying out of the water. A short time later my weighted line starts peeling out like crazy, I look behind and the next thing I know this thresher is right under my yak as if to say here I am! Then another threster shoots out of the water right behind me. I'm saying to myself there's no way this "T" on the side of my kayak is ready to come out of the water. Since I've never caught one and never saw one caught I'm thinking how big are the teeth on these? How sharp are the teeth on these? Are they man eaters!!! Before I lost my "man card" I quickly gave him some line then he was off to the races and eventually he busted me off (25lb line)
NEED ADVICE PLEASE ADVISE

Hooked into one more but he broke the surface and spit the bait out. Saw a couple of other guys do the same as me.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
Spinal Tap

how were conditions? vis.? waves at the launch...etc

thanks
Spinal Tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
ratdog

IMHO, shore break was minimal, there was a swell of about 2 ft, glassy conditions until about 10am with a slight chop, water temp was anywhere from 58 to 62. visibility was unlimited, a marine layer rolled in about 11am. Not much bait seen on my FF or on the surface. by 12 noon it was a bit sloppy and mixed.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
jscott

That was me in the yellow FND....I had 2 thresher breakoffs today also. I guess if we knew that we were gonna be getting bit by T's exclusively, we could have used 30# wire leader and probably landed them. Both of mine were bit off at the hook...My buddy had one of the same. We both got a little sleighride and a few acrobatics before it broke. It was definitely interesting--- would have like to have landed one today though!

-Jason
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
Ryan The Sealion

I was there, but working on a 6-pack called the "fish taxi"...we CnRed a ~80-90# thresher, and around noon the YT came out to play...hooked and handed a few on the surface iron...most of the yakers had gone in by then but us and all the PB's were bent..
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote