Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
glenniesan

Bug Report: Oside

First time hoopin for myself. Stopped by OEX Oside for a few items - thanks for the help as always Nate! My fishn partner and I hit the ramp round 8ish and paddled around till about midnight for 1 legal and six shorts. Dropping in 20 - 40'. Half-ish moon, nice warm, soft breeze, night to be out.

Not a whole lot of PBers out this night, we were the only yakkers. Bugs are certainly there though.

A few lessons learned:

- Kelp in the hoop sucks! Pulled up about 500 lbs worth (it seemed).
- Like any fishing good bait is key. We had some ol' frozen mackers which were not the best quality. AND we didn't bring enough anyway to change out.
- Bring along your hat! It's night but for those of us who paddle the hat will keep your dome dry(er).
- I think one way to minimize sea-dogs chewin on your hoops is to drop them and paddle away, observe them from a distance. I'm sure the dogs key in on the glow sticks & floats but they followed us when we moved off our drops... so just sayin.
- Lights and more lights, the head lamp LED will not be enough to light you up in the night. I had some reflective tape left over after prepping the buoys and stuck it on my yak - works great and is a BIG improvement for visibilty OTW ITD.
glenniesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
Jason

Thanks for the report, one is better than none.

Were you inside or outside of the harbor? I'm looking to give it a shot there on Sunday for my first time hoopin' on the yak.

Jason
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
Dan

good report...appreciate the info.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

Tonight I learned that lobster quesadillas are really good! Next is lobster Alfredo!
Old 10-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
john p.

I have done the quesadillas as well and just tried the Alfredo, very good.
I talked a guy who shreds the meat of the big ones and makes lobster ravioli.
john p. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:30 AM   #6
'Cuda

One plate of Alfredo has the same fat content as 34 slices of bacon....which really shocked me that I had never thought to add bacon to my alfredo.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:19 AM   #7
dorf

Bibbitty Bobbitty Bacon. You can never go wrong with Bacon.

A strip of bacon wrapped around the tail (held in by tooth pick) and place on the grill until the bacon is crisp.

As the weather will get cooler at night a hat is a must. 80% of your body heat escapes through your head. Don't forget to wear waders to keep your legs dry. A buddy of mine thought that he could wear his ski pants and found that they are not water PROOF. After your first pull, when you have that wet net in your lap you will know what I am talking about.

Lights, Lights and more lights. Make them see you. As with any gear that you would take with you for “just in case” I subscribe to the “2 is one 1 is none” thought. Always have a back up.

Thanks for the report.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:52 AM   #8
bajadog
I eats what I kills

LED safety gear???

http://www.night-gear.com/reflective...FQ0xawodm3917A
Old 10-09-2008, 09:28 AM   #9
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenniesan View Post
- I think one way to minimize sea-dogs chewin on your hoops is to drop them and paddle away, observe them from a distance. I'm sure the dogs key in on the glow sticks & floats but they followed us when we moved off our drops... so just sayin.

That works really well for me in MB too. If a dog is on my nets I paddle up to him and then leisurely paddle off somewhere and sit for a while and they get bored and go elsewhere.

- Lights and more lights, the head lamp LED will not be enough to light you up in the night. I had some reflective tape left over after prepping the buoys and stuck it on my yak - works great and is a BIG improvement for visibilty OTW ITD.

Tek-Light Mark III is very bright, works off AA bateries, and will fit inside a 1/2" pvc coupling which makes a great kayak mast. You can put an 8' length in a rod holder or the sail mast spot in a hobie works great to improve your visibility and gives a soft glow to work from without using your headlamp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorf View Post
Bibbitty Bobbitty Bacon. You can never go wrong with Bacon. A strip of bacon wrapped around the tail (held in by tooth pick) and place on the grill until the bacon is crisp.

MMmmmmm!
Gotta try that!

As the weather will get cooler at night a hat is a must. 80% of your body heat escapes through your head. Don't forget to wear waders to keep your legs dry. After your first pull, when you have that wet net in your lap you will know what I am talking about.

Waders are a must! They can also keep your legs protected from some of the toothy and sharp mishaps, and makes cleaning all the little chum crap off you easier when your done for the night. Besides they usually have a great place for your I-pod!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cuda View Post
One plate of Alfredo has the same fat content as 34 slices of bacon....which really shocked me that I had never thought to add bacon to my alfredo.
I am going to have to start trying some of these bug cooking ideas as the lobster is piling up... I limited again last night on the MB Jetties!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote