Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
dbarnett66
Danodog

Finally got the X-Factor wet (Mission Bay)

I had it our for a couple of hours in Mission Bay next to the Bahia. My friend helped a little with the basics. I brought 1 rod with me just to troll behind me with no expectation. I managed a small 6-8 inch Spottie.

I had 350 pounds of me, gear, battery box, fish finder, and water in the bait tank. The Kayak handled it very well. The experience was a little awkward getting in the kayak and getting out. I felt much better after the 2 hours experience. I also was expecting a little less tippy, but I realized that I needed to relax a little and let the body rock with the boat.

I had a good time. I have hit a plateau with my weight. I have lost 78 pounds so far, but I know that losing weight can only enhance my experience. I want to thank all of you for the advice and experiences shared on this board. I hope to get out more often now. I have most of what I need to be in the bays and local lakes. I want a goal of hitting open water by the middle of summer if possible. In the mean time, I will keep the training wheels on for a while. It was a great day, very peaceful.

I did have a couple of powerboats cruise by that cause some water to come over the bow. I learned real fast to point the bow into the wake and not take it broadside. I only had a few drops of water inside the hull from where the water must have enter through the seam on the gator hatch.

Danodog

dbarnett66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
madncrzydm

Once you start kayak fishing you will get addicted i just started fishing recently let alone kayak fishing and i am totally hooked (excuse the pun) and It has been very therapeutic for me, and helped me speed up my recovery process after getting hurt.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Baby steps...

Looks like you are going about this the right way. I have been fishing my whole life, but the kayak thing, it is something new entirely. And it is AMAZING. I really love it and it has lent a whole new element to fishing for me. So, baby steps, and just enjoy yourself. These sites, reading the posts, get you so worked up. You may be tempted to go somewhere you are not ready to be. But they are also a good source of information and a good place to meet friends.

Have fun and lets go fishing some time!

Janine
Old 02-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
Jimmyz123

Do you do any exercising at a gym or anything? The reason I ask is you can do some workouts that will help build your core, and help with your balance while on the Kayaks. You want to keep you center of gravity in the middle of the boat. Lean too far one way or the other, and you could go in, but not likely. As for the Gym, or at home, get a stability ball, one that fits your height. If you buy one it will come with instructions on various exercises or you can search youtube for exercises. Doing crunches, sitting, and other things that force you to use your abs will build your core, also increasing stability.

As for the Kayaking part. Most of us have fished on boats, and rule number one is not to fall out of the boat, but in a Kayak you have to walk into the water before you can get into the boat. The first time getting in is always a little weird. Build your confidence take your kayak to areas in Mission bay that the speed is controlled. Practice your paddling and moving around and getting comfy. Check out these videos they will help you with your technique, and make your day more enjoyable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YeduKtjFxA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ9axwFqK0o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlsiHlRSYKA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2a2xu2VRxc

If you fall in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmaNBXEa_yQ

There are tons of videos that you can watch to help you. Trust me you want to know the tricks and it will help you feel more comfortable.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
dbarnett66
Danodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
Do you do any exercising at a gym or anything? The reason I ask is you can do some workouts that will help build your core, and help with your balance while on the Kayaks. You want to keep you center of gravity in the middle of the boat. Lean too far one way or the other, and you could go in, but not likely. As for the Gym, or at home, get a stability ball, one that fits your height. If you buy one it will come with instructions on various exercises or you can search youtube for exercises. Doing crunches, sitting, and other things that force you to use your abs will build your core, also increasing stability.

As for the Kayaking part. Most of us have fished on boats, and rule number one is not to fall out of the boat, but in a Kayak you have to walk into the water before you can get into the boat. The first time getting in is always a little weird. Build your confidence take your kayak to areas in Mission bay that the speed is controlled. Practice your paddling and moving around and getting comfy. Check out these videos they will help you with your technique, and make your day more enjoyable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YeduKtjFxA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ9axwFqK0o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlsiHlRSYKA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2a2xu2VRxc

If you fall in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmaNBXEa_yQ

There are tons of videos that you can watch to help you. Trust me you want to know the tricks and it will help you feel more comfortable.
Thanks for the advice. I have been exercising and my upper body strength is above average according to my doctor. He called me the most physically fit morbidly obese man he has met. I think my relative good health has allowed me to lose almost 80 pounds so quickly. I have rented boats, but this was my first experience in a yak. I was expecting to feel arm an shoulder pain, but I woke up feeling great. With that being said, I need to lose another 120 pounds and I thinking actively kayaking will help in my goal. I just need to get more experience. When the weather warms up next month I intend to roll the kayak and practice re-entry a few times. One thing most give me credit for is that I usually go "all in" when trying something new. I already have the passion for fishing. I have actively fished since I was a teenager. Just have to practice the kayak part.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Jimmyz123

Keep it up and if you ever want a buddy to paddle with you let me know. I'll meet up with you and help you however I am able.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 02-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
Toromike
Junior

I was in the same boat as you, I had a friend take me out for the first time last Aug. and I was hooked. I got a Prowler 15 off craigslist and now I am ready to move on to a Hobie PA. If you ever want someone to go fishing with let me know I live in Santee, I like to get out on the weekends.
Toromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #8

next weekend...

Ok guys, how about this? We all meet at Shelter Island next Sat or Sunday. You guys name it. We paddle out to bait barge, grab some 'dines, and fish halibut? I can't think of a better way to begin the kayak fishing journey!

Janine
Old 02-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
madncrzydm

Quote:
Originally Posted by janines.fishtales@cox.net View Post
Ok guys, how about this? We all meet at Shelter Island next Sat or Sunday. You guys name it. We paddle out to bait barge, grab some 'dines, and fish halibut? I can't think of a better way to begin the kayak fishing journey!

Janine
I would totally be down never specifically targeted halibut before relatively new to fishing let alone yak fishing.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #10

Mostly I want to see how my bait tank is working. I have had to make some adjustments to it over the last few months since I bought it so I would like to see how it handles the bait. I most likely will be going on Sunday. Still a little early for halibut but I think if you try hard enough we can catch one or more hopefully!

Janine
Old 02-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
madncrzydm

just met me know my weekends are totally free
Old 02-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
Irishman

I'm down to go, don't have the live bait well set up yet, will figure something out and if needs be can fish ghost shrimp or artificials. Keep us informed on what day and where to meet,
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #13
dbarnett66
Danodog

With 2 boys and baseball season in full swing my Saturdays are shot until the end of May.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #14
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by janines.fishtales@cox.net View Post

Janine
Sunday I can do an early launch for sure, Saturday I'm On Call until 7 A.M. If you all want to hook up Sunday I'm in.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 02-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #15
dbarnett66
Danodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
Sunday I can do an early launch for sure, Saturday I'm On Call until 7 A.M. If you all want to hook up Sunday I'm in.
I better check with the better half. I could be available after church I think. I will post tomorrow. I don't want others to wait on me. If others can go Saturday or Sunday, please go and have fun. I have a hectic schedule with two young boys, so I can be a stick in the mud at times. 😊