Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
Aaron&Julie

Non-fishing report, sort of...

Looks like I'm posting in the right spot for this, afterall the fishing forum really isn't about current fishing reports anymore, except by a handful of fishermen. The 3 things this forum does do:

1) Report how successful "Newbies" are once they've tried "Darkhorses" guide services. Usually these reports are a month old, more or less, too old to be of any use to anyone, unless they need a good guide.
2) Gag posts. Some are even believable, to the point a person doesn't know if they are reading an accurate helpful post, or just fluff that some find funny.
3) Venting reports. Usually bitching about something, some where, some day.

With the 1/2 day boats nailing yellows almost every day for a week or more now, even nailing 3 WSB, along with yellows the other day, you can't tell me there are not kayak fishermen who frequent this website who've scored, and scored well over the last couple of weeks.

To each their own.

I guess I'm posting this on #3 above, the venting report. Julie and I don't need reports to do well at La Jolla. Hell, we don't even use a Fish Finder, yet our freezer is full of fish, clams and lobster (ok, only a 1/2 dozen left now).

My point is-the fishing forum used to be a resource for "fishing" (as in current) information. Not so much anymore.

It's rather sad and pitiful and mostly useless. We'll keep looking here for tidbits of information, but it doesn't seem to have what BWE used to have, integrity, honesty and info that could benefit everyone.

I guess if you're in one of the cliques, you really don't need BWE at all, you're buddy will hook you up with the latest 4-1-1. How cool. Instead you can post your gags and rants.

We always paid it forward (for free), what we learned or picked up from others, and still do when properly asked, usually through PMs.

It's amazing how the overall mentality has changed on this website.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
CheapPelican

Good report. Now let all the ass kissing begin.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
NextBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
Looks like I'm posting in the right spot for this, afterall the fishing forum really isn't about current fishing reports anymore, except by a handful of fishermen. The 3 things this forum does do:

1) Report how successful "Newbies" are once they've tried "Darkhorses" guide services. Usually these reports are a month old, more or less, too old to be of any use to anyone, unless they need a good guide.
2) Gag posts. Some are even believable, to the point a person doesn't know if they are reading an accurate helpful post, or just fluff that some find funny.

With the 1/2 day boats nailing yellows almost every day for a week or more now, even nailing 3 WSB, along with yellows the other day, you can't tell me there are not kayak fishermen who frequent this website who've scored, and scored well over the last couple of weeks.

To each their own.

I guess I'm posting this on #3 above, the venting report. Julie and I don't need reports to do well at La Jolla. Hell, we don't even use a Fish Finder, yet our freezer is full of fish, clams and lobster (ok, only a 1/2 dozen left now).

My point is-the fishing forum used to be a resource for "fishing" (as in current) information. Not so much anymore.

It's rather sad and pitiful and mostly useless. We'll keep looking here for tidbits of information, but it doesn't seem to have what BWE used to have, integrity, honesty and info that could benefit everyone.

I guess if you're in one of the cliques, you really don't need BWE at all, you're buddy will hook you up with the latest 4-1-1. How cool. Instead you can post your gags and rants.

We always paid it forward (for free), what we learned or picked up from others, and still do when properly asked, usually through PMs.

Well said, but does it really surprise you people rarely all truthfull anymore

anyways. What's sad is this sport we all love, is getting too competive if

you know what I mean.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
dorado50

Again, thanks for reminding us all that Arron and Julie are the greatest fisherman w/out a sonar. Most of your posts lately have a bitch to them!. Stop complaining.....and yes I agree this forum has changed (not necessarily for the better) so get over it and move on........

Last edited by dorado50; 10-02-2012 at 02:06 AM. Reason: spell sucks
Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #5
monkeyfishturds

Quote:

It's rather sad and pitiful and mostly useless.
I feel sorry for you to think other peoples catches are useless to you if there not current. I enjoy reading about other peoples catches. It inspires me to go out an fish.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:36 AM   #6
kareem korn

That's not only with this board but with most that have been up for awhile. Shit, even the one I paid over a hundred dollars a year for lacks fish reports in the report section. There's a lot on non fishermen that have taken up the sport in the last ten years that fuck it up for everyone. What I mean by that is, there’s ethics, common sense, respect for the ocean and other fishermen. There are all kinds of stuff learned from years of fishing. Not just how to catch fish, but how to conduct yourself on the water and around others in this sport. Learning how to fish on the internet in a year, hiring a guide to put a fish on your line doesn't make you a fisherman. It gives you a photo op, a desk top for your computer at work.

That being said. Two things in my opinion that have ruined fishing......

GPS and the internet.

Take away the GPS and the boat traffic off shore will be cut in half or more. I don't think too many can navigate with just a compass anymore.

Take away the internet, and the fishing traffic will be cut in half or more.

There's more than yt and wsb in the ocean and more ways to fish than "troll one high and one low"

I take this and the other boards for what they are, entertainment. Fishing my whole life I have the ability to decipher the clues as to where the fish are and what type to fish for. I still do what my dad and I did for the last 40+ years. Go down to the landing and wait for the boat to come in. Talk to your local tackle store dude. Read the fishing report in the paper.

Relying on the internet fishing boards and guides to put a fish on your line is no different than hunting exotic game on a farm.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:22 AM   #7
jorluivil

Screw the reports!

Just fish!!!!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
Old 10-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #8
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Screw the reports!

Just fish!!!!
Whenever and where ever you get the chance
Old 10-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

i have a fish finder, i catch and post fish (sometimes, nobody really likes my surf reports. ) and have never been with a guide.

with the sporties loading up, there's obviously no reason to post all the catches. especially if the parking lot is full at 6am but the bite is wide open at 5pm when you and only two other yaks are out there. why would you post a sunset pic with a fresh fish? better to wait a month or two and tell just your buddies. Too many lurkers on the interwebz and Private messaging works wonders.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
dorado50

Two things to do to stop the bitching: 1) become a guide yourself 2) buy a sonar!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
Iceman
Administrator

You have 2 choices when you post or respond to a post on this board. You can bring the board up or you can bring the board down. IMO this post does the latter.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #12
the dude

another post where aaron is whining about not being in the clique....zzzzz...
Old 10-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #13
DarthFisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareem korn View Post
That's not only with this board but with most that have been up for awhile. Shit, even the one I paid over a hundred dollars a year for lacks fish reports in the report section. There's a lot on non fishermen that have taken up the sport in the last ten years that fuck it up for everyone. What I mean by that is, there’s ethics, common sense, respect for the ocean and other fishermen. There are all kinds of stuff learned from years of fishing. Not just how to catch fish, but how to conduct yourself on the water and around others in this sport. Learning how to fish on the internet in a year, hiring a guide to put a fish on your line doesn't make you a fisherman. It gives you a photo op, a desk top for your computer at work.

That being said. Two things in my opinion that have ruined fishing......

GPS and the internet.

Take away the GPS and the boat traffic off shore will be cut in half or more. I don't think too many can navigate with just a compass anymore.

Take away the internet, and the fishing traffic will be cut in half or more.

There's more than yt and wsb in the ocean and more ways to fish than "troll one high and one low"

I take this and the other boards for what they are, entertainment. Fishing my whole life I have the ability to decipher the clues as to where the fish are and what type to fish for. I still do what my dad and I did for the last 40+ years. Go down to the landing and wait for the boat to come in. Talk to your local tackle store dude. Read the fishing report in the paper.

Relying on the internet fishing boards and guides to put a fish on your line is no different than hunting exotic game on a farm.
Congrats to you on having a father that liked to fish, or for actually being raised in So Cal. I forgot to fill out my family preference request form prior to my conception.

Did I hire a guide to make up for my lifelong geographic and parental disadvantage (from a fishing perspective that is)? Sure did. Would I do it again? Yup.

Hopefully, you become annoyed learning that I introduce myself as a "Fisherman" to everyone I meet!

This thread is pretty ridiculous considering the overall positive nature of this forum.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #14
Drake

Quote:

To each their own.

Aaron, I'll be the first to admit I am one of those people who are catching fish and not posting them anymore. Why?

People aren't willing to contribute, just leach fish dope. Look at the count of "views" on fishing report threads vs any thread about helping build a bait tank, a cart or even this thread.

In the beginning of the summer, I went out and fished LJ on a Friday afternoon. There were 2 kayaks. Me and Rob. I caught 3 yellows before 7am. I called a few people, let them know the bite was on.

Saturday, there was maybe 9 kayaks. I caught one, Greg caught his almost slam and few random people caught fish. Most of them made it on the internet. That following TUESDAY morning, there were 50 kayaks and 15pb sitting on the squid grounds. People don't want to put the time in to work for fish, find their own bites and experiment. They don't want to fish, they want to catch. The internet is the worst thing that could happen to a fishery.

Think about all the yellows that were killed this summer because word got out there was a squid bite. 80% of the people who fished the squid ground would have paddled right past it.

While I understand your standpoint we should be helping people out, this is how I look at it. If you PM me where was I, what bait did I use, how deep was the water ect when I caught my fish.... I tell everyone the same thing. "Come fish with me on the water and I'll do my best to help you out." You can't catch fish from behind a keyboard. While I'm not the most experienced LJ fisherman, and I haven't been fishing here for as long as 80% of this board, I came to SD with one goal. CATCH FISH. So you know what I did? I spent 5 days a week on the water, even if it was for 2 hours before I had to get to a 9am class.

Now this topic came up a while ago regarding timely reports. Most people got their panties in a bunch because they assumed it was about competition. That's not the case. How do I know? Because when there were 80 kayaks on the water and fish got caught, it was by the people who normally catch fish. Same faces putting fork in the boat constantly. It's not competition. It's about the preservation of the fishery. Think about how many more fish there would be out there if there was no posting of fishing on the internet.

You can talk about cliques all day, and yeah it's like highschool out there. But the point is people are more willing to help you these days when you're a familiar face on the water, not just a familiar poster on the forums. The last few months a few noobies I've never met have come up to me and been like "hey you're Drake right? I saw your fish on BWE" and then follow up with questions. I respect them being on the water not on a computer. I'll go as far as to tie knots for them, give them bait, tell them to follow me to where they can find bait and even lend them my squid stick if they don't have one. I gave a guy a handful of sabikis the other day because he didn't have any. The same way Greg Andrews did for me when I first started here, or when Ryan and Steve said "follow us to catch some fish" the day I caught my first WSB.

I'm not the only one. One of the infamous banned members who got the boot for the drama a few months ago, who will remain unamed was on the water a few weeks ago. He was doing well, had two in the boat early. A new guy went up to him and asked him some question. Said banned member said "stay close." baited his hook for him and dropped it down. Got hit on the drop and passed the rod to the guy who landed his first YT. The guy was on a total stoke.

The internet is a great resource, but not even a 10th as valuable as being out there.

Ok i'm done.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #15
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

I'm with Dave and Andy on this one.

I'm turning off the reply button, 'nuff.