Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
MrM

Regulations Cheat Sheet w/pics

Alright guys, I couldn't find anything that the DFG publishes that is easy to read, so I made a cheat sheet (time to start bringing home dinner!). I put down what I feel are commonly targeted fish in the Southern CA area. It is possible I missed one or two (did it in 30 minutes...) So if I missed something obvious, let me know and I'll add it!

Hope this helps you guys out there.

Note- All info was copied from the DFG website. Reference links included in the document. Be sure to verify that info hasn't changed before you take this on the water!

2nd Note- I had to break it up into two files, BWE has a size limit on word doc's. Enjoy.

Attached Files
File Type: docx 2012Regs pg1.docx (183.1 KB, 332 views)
File Type: docx 2012Regs pg2.docx (182.5 KB, 225 views)
Old 07-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
StinkyMatt

Nice, a lot of people can use this.

Wsb. Limit of one till June something...
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:54 AM   #3
Yakin

Also a MAJOR update on the sheepshead!!!
Started in 2012 this year the DFG requires you to keep only gill and gut sheepshead untill in your home or residence!
If sheepshead is filet before or apon arrive of home or residence and the DFG was notified huge fine will bite your wallet like a sheepshead would your finger!!
Old 07-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
DarthFisherman

Very nice. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.
DarthFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakin View Post
Also a MAJOR update on the sheepshead!!!
Started in 2012 this year the DFG requires you to keep only gill and gut sheepshead untill in your home or residence!
If sheepshead is filet before or apon arrive of home or residence and the DFG was notified huge fine will bite your wallet like a sheepshead would your finger!!
where is that in the Regs? section or page? I could not find it and the last trip I took a few weeks back the crew fillet about 20 sheeps before we go to the harbor.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
Dteamjonny
Junior

Thanks MrM
Dteamjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
GregAndrew

There are a bunch of new regs on fileting fish. Halibut have special new filet regs too. Essentially you have to leave just about everything still connected.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
Divad

Thanks for takin the time to put it together!
Now that is what BWE is all about!
Divad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
GregAndrew

NM.

(c) Fish That May Not be Filleted, Steaked or Chunked: No person shall fillet, steak or cut into chunks on any boat or bring ashore as fillets, steaks or chunks the following: any species with a size limit unless a fillet size is otherwise specified in these regulations. California halibut may be filleted or brought ashore as fillets south of Point Arena (Mendocino County).

(6) California halibut taken from or possessed aboard a vessel south of Point Arena (Mendocino County): Fillets must be a minimum of 16 and three-quarter inches in length and shall bear the entire skin intact. A fillet from a California halibut (flesh from one entire side of the fish with the entire skin intact) may not be cut in half fillets. However, a fillet may be cut lengthwise in a straight line along the midline of the fillet where the fillet was attached to the vertebra (backbone) of the fish only if the two pieces of a fillet remain joined along their midline for a length of at least two inches at one end of the fillet

Last edited by GregAndrew; 07-14-2012 at 05:12 PM.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #10
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
NM.

(c) Fish That May Not be Filleted, Steaked or Chunked: No person shall fillet, steak or cut into chunks on any boat or bring ashore as fillets, steaks or chunks the following: any species with a size limit unless a fillet size is otherwise specified in these regulations. California halibut may be filleted or brought ashore as fillets south of Point Arena (Mendocino County).

(6) California halibut taken from or possessed aboard a vessel south of Point Arena (Mendocino County): Fillets must be a minimum of 16 and three-quarter inches in length and shall bear the entire skin intact. A fillet from a California halibut (flesh from one entire side of the fish with the entire skin intact) may not be cut in half fillets. However, a fillet may be cut lengthwise in a straight line along the midline of the fillet where the fillet was attached to the vertebra (backbone) of the fish only if the two pieces of a fillet remain joined along their midline for a length of at least two inches at one end of the fillet
Thanks Greg.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Old 07-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #11
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

Not sure, but I thought there was a certain time of year you can only have 1 legal WSB? Am I wrong?
Old 07-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
Rotten Chum
Does it Really Matter

Thank you for your hard work on this. Helps a noob like me.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

Found it.

28.35. WHITE SEABASS.
(a) Minimum size: Twenty-eight inches total length or twenty and one-half inches alternate length.
(b) Season: Open all year.
(c) Limit: Three, except that only one fish may be taken in waters south of Pt. Conception
between March 15 and June 15.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
where is that in the Regs? section or page? I could not find it and the last trip I took a few weeks back the crew fillet about 20 sheeps before we go to the harbor.
Sorry on the late reply.
I do not know the exact place to find that information.
I was on the islander and brought in a shit load of goats and they told everyone that caught them that it was a new law set in place early this year about the sheeps.
I am pretty sure you can call up the islander and ask them about it but I remember they had to give us all our goats whole only thing they could do to them was gut and gill them.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #15
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
NM.

Quote:
Sorry on the late reply.
I do not know the exact place to find that information.
I was on the islander and brought in a shit load of goats and they told everyone that caught them that it was a new law set in place early this year about the sheeps.
I am pretty sure you can call up the islander and ask them about it but I remember they had to give us all our goats whole only thing they could do to them was gut and gill them.
from what Greg posted and all that I hear from all the landings is that south of point arena has to gut and gill only.

see its never too late.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #16
Yakin

Quote:
from what Greg posted and all that I hear from all the landings is that south of point arena has to gut and gill only.

see its never too late.
That would be so weird that they would make it like that?
Hopefully some1 can update us on all the details!!
Old 07-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #17
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
That would be so weird that they would make it like that?
Hopefully some1 can update us on all the details!!
sounds like 909 thinking to me, you know kinda like knotless hooks.

edit 2:24 pm 7-16-2012

found it, finally someone at the dfg office has a clue.

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/2012/27_65regs.pdf

Old 07-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
LSmoot

Thanks for putting these cheat sheets together. I had created my own, but not nearly as thorough as these! Thank you!
LSmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #19
Yakin

Quote:
sounds like 909 thinking to me, you know kinda like knotless hooks.

edit 2:24 pm 7-16-2012

found it, finally someone at the dfg office has a clue.

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/2012/27_65regs.pdf

Sorry buddy I was born in the 407 which is Orlando FL.
But yeah does sound like 909 thinking but I give you my word.
My knotless hooks will hold up stronger then any knot you tie hahaha
I bet you my PA?!?!
Old 07-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #20
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Sorry buddy I was born in the 407 which is Orlando FL.
But yeah does sound like 909 thinking but I give you my word.
My knotless hooks will hold up stronger then any knot you tie hahaha
I bet you my PA?!?!
I have a tensile testing system at work, bring some of those hooks, and dust off the PA for me, my allergies have been acting up.