Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2006, 10:25 AM   #1
Aaron&Julie

LJ report for Monday

Late post, but here goes.
Launched in the dark, made bait and started fishing by 6:00AM, with mackerals high and low (2oz torpedo).
Started out in front of the "condo" and worked our way south. Seals around, but they didn't hassle us this time.
After a couple of hours of searching with no hits, Aaron looks behind his kayak to see a yellow (about 20lbs) 5 feet back following him. Excitedly reaching for the jig stick, the yellow reacted to his movement turned around and split. He threw the iron a couple of times anyway, to no avail. A short time later, we both started getting our macks tapped, but none stuck. They didn't leave many marks, so it was hard to say what they were.
By now we were pretty far south, about even with the blue wall on shore but at least a half-mile out. We saw some boils and Aaron throws a Yo-zuri Mag minnow on the bass outfit. Hook-up! Turns out to be an 7-8lb bonito. Soon after, he nails another the same size. They were bled, tails chopped off and put in on blue ice.
We continued looking for the right kind. Another puddling yellow pops up 10 feet in front of Julie's yak. We both throw iron in it's direction. Again, nothing.
While trolling a short time later, Julie is bit pretty good on the fly-lined mack. This one sticks. Seems smallish at first, then powers up. She brings it alongside rapidly, only to find a 5 foot mako on the end of her line. We wonder if bleeding our boneheads brought him in? While pondering the dangerous aspects of keeping him (great eats), he finally realizes he's hooked and makes a seriously fast and powerful run to the bottom, cutting the line. So, he decided for us.
Ended up with a few more short bites, then the floating kelp got real bad and time ran out.
We met Dan at pre-launch and while fishing. Nice meeting you, Dan.
We were back on the beach at noon.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

I think I hooked up into a mako on sunday....I'm not great at my shark IDs so I didn't want to give bogus info, but that's what I think had....once he was hooked, it was relativley easy to get him close...then once he saw the yak, he took off.....soon after, the line was cut and gone...fun while it lasted :P
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
steveooo

Thanks for the report A&J. Mako would be some bad ass eats. Really nice to hear that there is lots of life around. I get two days off of teaching between regular and summer school so I will be out there this friday with a newbie. Literally his first time even touching kayak and im going to try to get him on a yeller :lol: Be there early early a.m. for the surf launching show

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
madscientist

Had a mako bite me off last night. Huge greenback bait took one little zing and by the time I got the rod out it was cut cleanly above the hook. Time for a bucket of chum and wire leaders. 8)
Old 06-20-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

Saw a few Yt this morning. Very distracting, when you are halibut fishing. They did not want the iron or swimbait. Nothing but calicos for me.