Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2006, 03:13 AM   #1
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Happy Fathers Day...It's your day to fish GL

Happy Fathers day to all of the PaPas out there.......Off to the pond....I'll have a post tonight.....I won't have time to post when I get home, I have a family thing at my wifes grandparents in Sun City...."Sun City....The home of slow drivers, BIG STOP SIGNS, and green painted gravel for a lawn". All honesty though, I love her grandparents. Anyway I'll have a post tonight, I'll add it here.....GL
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

got out on on the water around five...saw mo, tyler, and met a few new faces (new to me).......bait seemed to be scarce, but for some reason I found the honey hole and made macs easy, good sized ones too......got out to the spot aboiut 3 miles out.......took a little while cuz of the wind out of the south pushing me off course......Hit "da spot" and bait was boiling and da yellas was out.....all of the PBers with dines were nailin the YT and I seemed to be gettin all the sharks....as I was driftin macs I had a taker.....waited for the fishy to get it good and then I took it outta free spool to set the circle hook........It loads up and then limp.....reel in my line and I'm missin my 10' of topshot mono and have fraid spectra from about a foot away from the end.....after I run through half my bait supply, I start to slow troll two macs......CRASH, I see a big thresher tail and splashing water behind me......Zzzzzzzzzzzzz, and then the same, no hook and no topshot.....this leads me to believe a T took me the first time too....twenty minutes later and my last mac I get hit, let it take it, loads up, bendo, and immediately get it to color and it's a small shark :x ......Not too familiar with my shark species, could a been a GW for all I know......Not sayin it was, I really don't know.....start headin back and figure I will just troll the silver/black top rapala and Zzzzzzz......I didn't think about it before but, it's probably better not to have a trolling rapala in freespool.......It bit and spit before I could get it outta the holder and tension on it.....I figured if the fish hit and there is no give, it'll hook itself...anyway some nice teeth marks and nothin else......Oh yeah.....I dumped my FnD on the way in show boatin for the rentals trying to surf a wave in......lost my dignity, GPS, and ruined my cellphone...apparently my zipper pouches on my seat aren't waterproof.....wife was made seeing as the GPS was a present from two years ago and this is my second cell phone lost to the drink......Lots of yellas out there, multiple by yakers, but no pics...sorry :cry: better luck to the rest of yas......Oh yeah, any suggestions on the drifting method to the trolling method would be great....
Old 06-18-2006, 07:54 PM   #3
Fishin Phil

Dry Bag

You need to get a large dry bag and stow ALL of your stuff in it before you land. You also need to secure that dry bag good. I have a sterlite container that holds my dry bag and it has a lid. When you land drag your paddle and lean back! If your boat starts going left drag right and lean, you will straighten out. Drifting is much better because you can throw jigs while you wait or enjoy the scenery. Trolling makes you very tired at the end of the day because you already paddled out and have to paddle in. See you on the water. 8)
Fishin Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:53 AM   #4
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

yeah....I used to have a dry bag that I put in the center round hatch. Now my kayatank uses that space. Good idea with the strerilite box and dry bag though....that'll fit nicely inside the yak....
Old 06-19-2006, 08:12 AM   #5
Fishin Phil

Sterlite

8)
Old 06-19-2006, 08:16 AM   #6
Fishin Phil

Sterlite

I have a Fish N Dive and my container goes in the back behind my seat and bungie line helps hold it in. I got rid of the bait tank which was a pain in the ash and replaced it with a bait tube which is about 32 pounds lighter and more user friendly. My bait tank use to hold four gallons of water at 8 pounds per gallon. That's just too much weight! Heck the yak already weighs close to 70 pounds with the three hatches and that doesn't include the fishing gear. With a bait tube my yak is lighter and I have the much needed storage space behind me. I also put two rod holders in the sterlite container. I then have room for a thermal cooler bag I bought at Wally Mart for 8 bucks. That goes behinid the container and fits perfectly. It also keeps the smaller fish (bass, bonito, etc.) fresh as when you caught them. It keeps two blue ices and three gatorade bottles full of ice frozen for hours and hours.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:50 AM   #7
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

thats good info....though, I'll never give up my kayatank....that thing is awsome......everything is right in front of you, it hold plenty of bait and it needs little battery power....I found that bait tubes got in the way.....when you get spun around by a fish, I had to dodge the rope.....thats just my opinion though....I know plenty of guys who love using bait tubes.....GL