Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-06-2020, 11:13 AM   #1
dgarland10

Mirage Drive 180

Probably a loaded question but here goes. Currently have Mirage Drive, and fish primarily harbors but want to get out into bigger waters. I really struggle with holding position while fly fishing. Do you think the Mirage Drive 180 will help maintain position better in current and winds? Noticable difference enough to warrant the cost of buying the 180?

Thanks!
dgarland10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:39 PM   #2
TJones

when it came out

I thought to self, "Here we go, another gimmick". time had passed and I finally upgraded models and to the 180 drive. when fishing in open water against a kelp line, you blink or get distracted and you could be in it before you know it. with the 180 you can back out immediately. this to me is very useful. I have not used the 180 on my rockfish spots, but i could see this as a game changer. as to your question about justifying the upgrade cost. that depends on you budget of course. flat out buying a new drive is a small fortune. I know from experience, because I recently had to replace a stolen drive. I did see a video online on how to retrofit a drive, granted you model is not to old. look on youtube and give Andy a shout. I say do it. I think changing drums and fins will be less painful, than the full cost of a new drive. although you fish a lot, a second drive is not a bad investment.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:35 AM   #3
ProfessorLongArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarland10 View Post
Probably a loaded question but here goes. Currently have Mirage Drive, and fish primarily harbors but want to get out into bigger waters. I really struggle with holding position while fly fishing. Do you think the Mirage Drive 180 will help maintain position better in current and winds? Noticable difference enough to warrant the cost of buying the 180?

Thanks!
I have both.... When you get used to the 180, you occasionally have "oh shit" moments without it when you reach to grab it on a V2. I find it useful for when I'm going into current and I hit my drift spot and I want to drop, or I see a mark on the meter and I want to stop on a dime. It's by no means necessary for bigger water or otherwise, though it is a sweet feature for when you need to pull up next to a buddy and you overshoot.

that said, steering with the rudder in reverse is weird. Much respect to anyone who can control a turn in reverse on a hobie
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:34 AM   #4
summers in kuwait

I mainly fish more open water and when I upgraded in 2017 to the 180, I didn't think I would really use it, but...

I find it very helpful and convenient for fishing the kelp, working around piers and when the wind and current are up a little, it can be helpful when dropping on rockfish or other marks.

Cheers
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:44 AM   #5
dgarland10

Thanks for responses! I am wanting to fish rock structure for Calicos etc like the Federal Wall In Long Beach. Was thinking the reverse might be pretty important to keep me off the rocks and in good position to cast a fly?
dgarland10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:03 PM   #6
Finngo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post
I mainly fish more open water and when I upgraded in 2017 to the 180, I didn't think I would really use it, but...

I find it very helpful and convenient for fishing the kelp, working around piers and when the wind and current are up a little, it can be helpful when dropping on rockfish or other marks.

Cheers
+1
Finngo is offline   Reply With Quote