Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-01-2017, 05:55 PM   #1
HoxFeesh
Junior

New to the Site and Sport

Hello, and a happy new year to all! I'm new to the site, and I recently decided to give kayaks a go. I'm as wide as I am tall (big guy), so I'm interested in any thoughts on which direction to take (brand, models, etc.). Lakes and saltwater usage would be the plan.

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but didn't see anything via a few searches. If any threads come to mind, feel free to shoot them my way. If not, looking forward to any other responses here.

Thanks folks!!
HoxFeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:10 PM   #2
DanaPT

If your budget allows save up for a hobie. I have had a Malibu x factor (blem) and that thing was super stable. My outback is awesome but not as much deck space.

Good luck!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:42 PM   #3
goldenglory18

Welcome to the party!

My suggestion, demo as many boats as you possibly can. Paddle and sit in and touch as many boats as possible, then buy as much boat as you can afford. Its better to buy the right boat the first time and not regret a purchase.

Where are you located? I hear OEX is a fantastic shop and should help point you in the right direction.

Good luck and welcome!
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:26 AM   #4
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Don't buy a blem...
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:09 AM   #5
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby View Post
Don't buy a blem...
You mean don't buy a floor model lol
Old 01-02-2017, 06:15 AM   #6
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoxFeesh View Post
Hello, and a happy new year to all! I'm new to the site, and I recently decided to give kayaks a go. I'm as wide as I am tall (big guy), so I'm interested in any thoughts on which direction to take (brand, models, etc.). Lakes and saltwater usage would be the plan.

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but didn't see anything via a few searches. If any threads come to mind, feel free to shoot them my way. If not, looking forward to any other responses here.

Thanks folks!!
I highly recommend you guy a hobie and I recommend buying used. Right now is a buyers maerkt. Do you have a budget in mind?
Old 01-02-2017, 07:19 AM   #7
Saba Slayer

Try em

Mark Olsen likes to say that kayaks are like shoes...one size doesn't fit all.
Think about the type of fishing (fresh or salt) the type of launch (docks and lakes or Surf launch) your transport vehicle (car, pickup, trailer) and lastly your storage space or lack of.
Get answers to all these questions then go to OEX and try some different manufactures kayaks. OEX not only has Hobie's but they carry just about all the popular manufacturers models. Both their shops are on the water in Mission Bay and Sunset Beach so it's really easy to try a few and see what fits your size and lifestyle.
Good Luck and enjoy, as it's quite an addiction...!

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:32 AM   #8
Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
I highly recommend you guy a hobie and I recommend buying used. Right now is a buyers maerkt. Do you have a budget in mind?
be sure to check out drive thoroughly....if you do not know what to look for, maybe have a dealer check it out before purchase. check rudder as well.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:02 AM   #9
Mahigeer

Welcome to the site and sport.

Great bunch of guys here.

I have an XFactor for sale if you are interested.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...+sale%2C+water

I have not tried Craig's list yet to give this site the first chance.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:18 AM   #10
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby View Post
Don't buy a blem...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
You mean don't buy a floor model lol
LOL..... I'm never going to live this one down, am I?
Old 01-02-2017, 09:34 AM   #11
Orca Winfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
LOL..... I'm never going to live this one down, am I?
Probably not but thanks for all the entertainment during the rainy weather. Hope to see you on the water soon.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:46 AM   #12
ratdog

Keeping it positive, I second going to OEX.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:47 AM   #13
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey View Post
Probably not but thanks for all the entertainment during the rainy weather. Hope to see you on the water soon.
It's all good. I appreciate the friendly fire and the unmatched comradery this sport provides.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:51 AM   #14
Orca Winfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoxFeesh View Post

Thanks folks!!
It naturally depends on your budget. Definitely a sit on top and at least 13ft long. Some brands are Hobie, Ocean Kayak, and Malibu.

For used yaks, Craig's is a good source, but you have to keep scouring for a long time till you find that one gold nugget. The for-sale section in this site is a great source for fishing-ready yaks at great deals and everyone seems on the up and up.

A pedal yak like a Hobie costs more but is fast and can cover lots of water. Also, you can fish, text, and eat lunch while moving. They also have a huge advantage against the wind. I have a paddle yak and a friend and I got caught in 20mph headwinds. He had to tow me back in with his Hobie Revolution because I was losing ground between every paddle stroke.

Lastly, don't cheap out and get a "starter" yak just to see if you like yak fishing. You will. It's is highly addictive and the most fun you will ever have. Welcome aboard.

Last edited by Orca Winfrey; 01-02-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:13 PM   #15
HoxFeesh
Junior

Hey fellas, huge thanks for all of the input. I'm leaning pedal drive, but will heed advice and hold off till I have a chance to sit in a few.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #16
DPevin

New babies decimated my budget when I got into kayak fishing. Great time to develop a habit right? That being said, I settled for a cheap kayak that would, "get the job done."

It works...but left wanting sooooo much.

My advice would be, that if you have the budget, drop the money. You get what you paid for. I personally don't mind paddling vs peddling, but their are definitely limitations and times where I would like to have a peddle yak.

Also, whatever you get, try and get something with a higher max weight capacity. I just got a bait tank for mine and the extra 40lbs or so makes a huge difference on my cheap yak haha.
DPevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:51 AM   #17
jorluivil

My suggestions

If you've never fished from a kayak before I would suggest that you buy a used kayak first, don't go out and spend $2k - $4k on a new kayak just to end up selling it a few months later. Chances are you find something decent in the $1500 range that's fully rigged.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:37 PM   #18
JLargo
Largo

Hey Everyone,

New to the site and somewhat new to the sport. To the gent I met down at Dana Point a couple months ago. Thank you for the direction to this site. Have a PA14 and looking to hit La Jolla soon and have been frequenting Dp for the past 6 months. There's s ton of great info on here
JLargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #19
NICKWORN

And be careful of those "BLEMS"

:t he_finger:
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Welcome to the party!

My suggestion, demo as many boats as you possibly can. Paddle and sit in and touch as many boats as possible, then buy as much boat as you can afford. Its better to buy the right boat the first time and not regret a purchase.

Where are you located? I hear OEX is a fantastic shop and should help point you in the right direction.

Good luck and welcome!
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #20
HoxFeesh
Junior

That PA is sweet, but $$$$. Where does the cobra fish and dive and prowler big game fall in behind the PA? I looked at wilderness systems and the additional cost for the pedal drive had me shaking my head. Don't think I said it, but I'd love to stay around $1,500 for starters.

Obviously, still need to go sit in some, but based on guys who've used them, what's the word?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk