Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Enceladus

LJ on Tuesday

Heading out with Big Barrels on my yak's maiden salt water voyage on Tuesday. I only have four major goals:
1. Don't get flipped by the tiny waves in the forecast.
2. Don't chum my breakfast.
3. Don't birds nest all three reels.
4. Catch something...anything...

Anybody catching fish out of LJ recently? Any tips? I'm pretty sure that we're planning on making bait, but I was reading that fresh or frozen squid work well for WSB this time of year. Should I pick some up just in case?

I feel like a kid two days before Christmas.
Enceladus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
tasteslikechikn54

Talking

I made my maiden voyage out to la jolla last week... Only thing I can say is this...
1.) Time your entry, don't jump the gun no matter how small it is.
2.) Never let yourself be caught between the kayak and shoreline.
3.) Try to keep the kayak perpendicular to the waves at all times.
4.) Catch fish...

The surf was about two feet when I went and on my first attempt I jumped in the kayak and rolled it... Nothing lost. No harm no foul... Good luck.
tasteslikechikn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
slobslayer

I also made my maiden voyage last week without any equipment just wanted to learn how to handle the surf. It was much bigger than expected appx. 5 ft so needless to say i got wet. glad i had my wetsuit on. going out this week to la jolla sometime as well
slobslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
Mobsan

Good job! On my maiden voyage last year I rolled coming back in. I lost a pair of Oakley shades, a 3 week old Shimano Curado and Clarus, and my favorite fishing hat that I had for over 15 yrs. Needless to say I learned a valuable lesson regarding timing the sets, all for a mere $350+ in gear.
Mobsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
Baja_Traveler

One thing that is always in my truck when going out - my snorkeling gear. I've been kayaking since the times when people used to point and stare at the wierd eskimo contraption - way before plastic boats. Even with all those years of experience, every blue moon I get surprised by a crossing or reflected wave and end up in the drink.
Its good insurance knowing I have the ability look for expensive lost gear - I've recovered rods lost 300 yards off the launch at La Jolla (not mine) - the bottom is only 12 feet deep out to the canyon edge 1/2 mile out.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
Croaker Dave

Wed-Thurs looks even better
Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
tasteslikechikn54

Wink

I will probably be making it out to la jolla on Thursday... WSB should be biting anytime... Can't wait for the water to warm up a bit.... I will highly recommend getting some rod leashes. OEX carries them for cheap and are or very good quality...
tasteslikechikn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
xpresso2am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
One thing that is always in my truck when going out - my snorkeling gear. I've been kayaking since the times when people used to point and stare at the wierd eskimo contraption - way before plastic boats. Even with all those years of experience, every blue moon I get surprised by a crossing or reflected wave and end up in the drink.
Its good insurance knowing I have the ability look for expensive lost gear - I've recovered rods lost 300 yards off the launch at La Jolla (not mine) - the bottom is only 12 feet deep out to the canyon edge 1/2 mile out.
Good idea. I might start bring my snorkeling gear. I've flipped often enough to know that fist hand
xpresso2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
ctfphoto

Everyone flips, so don't worry about that, it's no big deal.

As to seasickness, if it is a problem (that I have severely) the "patch" works 100% of the time for me. If you have a problem, FORGET the oral drugs and go directly to the "patch"

You should be able to catch bottom fish, I have not been skunked yet.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
Enceladus

BB and I got out there right around 0700 @ high tide. It was cold, but man was it beautiful. The surf wasn't very big and BB gave me expert advice on how to get through the waves. Success! First try out was a breeze but, I was a little concerned when I had to punch through the last good sized wave. First lesson learned -- keep your mouth shut when going through a wave.

The highlight was the incredible amount of wild life. We were literally surrounded by water fowl and jumping dolphins just feet of the yaks. Spectacular.

We peddled out a good way with the plan to make bait. And peddled.And searched. And peddled. We couldn't find any bait. We tried everything. I even tried chumming the Sausage Egg McMuffin that I had for breakfast. It seemed that I took that one little sandwich and converted it into about a gallon of chum. Fish and squid don't like McDonald's food, I guess. Now I don't either.

After around 3 hours, we headed in. It should be noted that getting in is a hell of a lot tougher than getting out! My first try at getting in I got completely turned around and had to go back out and try again. The second time, I got sideways and was sure that I was going to roll, but fortunately it was a tiny wave and I drifted in sideways.

All in all, it was a great experience. Next time:
1) I wear that patch!
2) We make bait.
3) We catch fish.
4) I don't rely on luck to get back to shore.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
mtnbykr2

congrats on the first successful launch and landing, I know the pucker factor when just starting out I still get a little nervous, glad you guys had a good time
Old 03-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #12
bigbarrels

Nice job Jesus on getting in and out without rolling it. Good start for your first day OTW. There was still some swell at the launch today. Nice looking water but no bait around today(that we could find on the surfacer or on the FF). The Commorants, Pelicans, sealion and dolphins went crazy for about twenty minutes just as we got out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZUTL...1&feature=plcp
Old 03-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #13
Baja_Traveler

Well, you didn't make bait or catch any fish, but you sure did make some good memories judging by the video... Thats exactly what it's all about! Better than a good day at work thats for sure.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #14
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Well, you didn't make bait or catch any fish, but you sure did make some good memories judging by the video... Thats exactly what it's all about! Better than a good day at work thats for sure.
that is exactly what we were saying
Old 03-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

The video looks like a scuba chicken take over! Nothing giving the ocean's wildlife a free meal!
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #16
Enceladus

Yeah, that's was awesome! I was trying to tie on the sabiki and getting nauseated! Thanks for the video, Tom! This link is getting sent to a few people! I'll be sleeping with a smile on my face tonight.

Last edited by Enceladus; 03-22-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #17
GregAndrew

More kewl chit happens while you are on the water than you can shake a stick at. Nice bike vids too BB.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #18
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
You should check out the floating sunglass straps @ R.E.I. Have them on all my Rx glasses. Just one pair of polarized Rx sunglasses $500. Not taking any chances.

ANYONE EVER THOUGH OF WEARING SCUBA GOGGLES OVER YOUR GLASSES? BOUGHT A PAIR BUT NEVER MADE IT TO THE OCEAN.

FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote