Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-11-2009, 04:26 AM   #1
PAL

Thank you

What a dreary outcome. Now that it's over I can finally speak freely.

That was one brutally lopsided, maniupulated, nearly hopeless fight. Between agenda driven science, constantly shifting goal posts, back room dealing and process changes in the dark of night, we were doomed from day 1.

Only you didn't get the memo.

As disappointed as I am in the unjust, excessive closure map we were dealt yesterday, and the lingering bitter taste of that unholy sacrifice of Malibu's Pt Dume (the local LJ) at the alter of LA politics and the disgusting wholesale giveaway of public access in Orange County , I am equally proud of our collective efforts.

You don't know half of the obstacles we faced. There's no such thing as a victory here, there never could have been, the only question was how badly we'd lose. And although I urge you to continue to fight this battle to the bitter end as we move to the Fish and Game Commission and possibly other arenas (), that we kept anything at all at La Jolla is a testament to your untiring and MLPAI-annoying refusal to go away.

You were such a persistant nusiance that a full-on La Jolla reserve evolved into a political non-starter. That it ended up south of Windnsea is a testament to your stubborness.

Anyone who's been to a meeting knows the truth of these words. You also know that kayak anglers and free divers out-worked and out-attended every other segment including the enviros. We've got something going here, a special community involvement. Although the ball carrier changes from time to time, there's a strong, solid team of winners personally taking responsiblity for preserving the values and freedoms we hold dear.

Thank you!

There were times during the last year that I was pushed to the absolute brink. Your support sustained me.

Every California kayak angler owes a debt of gratitude to those who endured the meetings, wrote the letters, lobbied the politicos, and donated $$$$ to the cause.

Chris Fierro, Tyler Webb, Billy V, Grego, Josh Rider, Kiyo and the Baytubers, Maggie and the OEX Crew all performed heroically. They were far from alone. Much gratitude.

A tip of the cap to all our other brother and sister anglers who stood with us shoulder to shoulder. Especially to Joe Nguyen, Jeff Sporcich, Joe Farlo, Paul Romanowski and the spearo troops. They are our close kin; it was great to finally get to know some of them. And Fishcatcher, our future, and the other kids who stood tall, you inspire us all.

That's it for now (this is alreay a novel). Gloves are off! Vent if you need to. Go fishing and let the bruises and scars heal. That's my plan. Hope to see some of you Dec 9 at the first Commission meeting. More on that in a few days.

Paul
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:44 AM   #2
kurt

Thank you for all your hard work, Paul. As much as I hated the meetings and this process, I was happy to be there fighting alongside a lot of good people. You know who you are.

When I went to my first meeting, a million years ago, I just hoped we would be able to keep areas open that were within reach of LJ Shores. When I look back at external map C, and compare it to what we ended up with, I think we were able to make a difference. To everyone who wrote letters, went to meetings, and worked on this in other way, thank you very much.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:28 AM   #3
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Thanks Paul and all of our RSG members.

I don't know if we can ever repay you for what you have done.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Cool

Paul, MJ, and everyone who spent any time fighting for us. You all have my gratitude, and respect!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
Swampthing
Junior

Much Gratitude

I'm a waterfowl hunter and fisherman and am new to the kayak fishing game and this board. When I came to California from the South 15 years ago, a wildlife area manager from Fish and Game warned me that this kind of thing (MLPA) was on the horizon, and that people were dedicated to us never casting a line or taking game anywhere in this state. Man, he was not kidding.

Those of you who dedicated your time and tallent defending our lifestyle and rights have my respect and gratitude. I did what I was able to at the time, and I would like to join you and help out for the next round of actions, be it meeting with DFG or civil disobedience in the water.

Get some rest and thank you again. We owe you.
Swampthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:59 AM   #6
Grego

Caught this at the MLPA Fundraiser Tourney...remember?

Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:05 AM   #7
Matt
Support your local pangas

Grego that photo looks a bit photo shopped hahaha just kidding!!

The fight isn't quite over boy and girls, we still have the dfg meeting, and possibly more(?)

Thanks to Paul et. al. and everyone that helped I was proud to stand by you all!!

Lots of fog in el norte dontcha think???
Old 11-11-2009, 07:12 AM   #8
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Pal, thanks for your tireless efforts...

To all that helped to make a difference, be it attending meetings, letters, emails, postings, encouragement, damn we stood and fought.

It was easy to see from the onset the bull$hit they tried to feed us, guess they thought we would just give up...

I will have some gifts if you will for the enviros that lurk these boards...next fish I catch, I will put it out of its misery quickly, with PICTURES of how its done...many pictures...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:21 AM   #9
Corey

What? Corrupt MLPA process? Who woulda thunk it?

Thanks Paul, MJ, all the other fishing RSG, & everyone (yakers, spearos, & PBers) who attended a meeting, sent an email, or anything else that helped the cause. We would have been screwed much worse without the huge effort from the fishing community. At least we did not just lay down & take it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've gotta go tie some 3/0 hooks on my sabiki. You can fish for macs with macs, right?
Old 11-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #10
robmandel

Velcome comrades. You vill find it very nice here.

robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #11
-scallywag-
Banned

Thanks Paul!!!

I loved the "outburst" questioning the definition source of "quality kelp"...then SAT's explanation of quality kelps?? substraits, media, low relief, high relief??
Couldn't they just say "its the same type of kelp growing on a different type of rocky bottom with less dropoffs"...but then i guess EVERYONE would know that the SAT is full of $h!t...i wonder if any of those fat cows have actually been on a boat with a sonar in the N.Pt loma/S.L.J areas let alone dive it!!! could you imagine seeing that fat SAT guy trying to get in a wetsuit

All of this reminds me of the "open and transparent public process based on scientific data" that was used to "relocate" millions of native americans when the Army Corp of Engineers and the Bureau of Reclamation went dam (the kind that creates a reservoir) crazy....that was in the 30's so this public anal raping process is nothing new, at least we forced them to use a dab of vasiline this time!
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #12
Willy

This land is your land (no it isn't)
This land is my land (liberal government)
From California, and the New York island
From the redwood forest, to the Gulf stream waters...
This land once belonged to you and me.

Great job all on fighting this one out.

Civil disobediance may be our last and only hope.
A massive protest after any closures take effect...hundreds of kayaks, boats, divers, fishermen go right into the new closure areas and fish fish fish in a show of force.

See you on the water,
Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:11 AM   #13
Useful Idiot

We knew we were doomed from the get go, but if it wasn't for guys like Paul, MJ, Tyler, Chris, Billy V, you can be sure it would've been a lot worse. And the numbers of kayak fishermen that showed up to these meetings was unbelievable. Private boaters on other sites are admitting how indebted they are to us kayak fishermen for representing.

Let's hope the FGC is receptive to changes in the map. Perhaps a very specific email campaign to the FGC members is in order? I mean specific geography changes. Save the "closures are unfair" type of rhetoric, I think a direct, specific, united request for a select number of changes to the map would have the best chance of any impact. Thoughts from the pros?
Old 11-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #14
kurt

We might have done better in the process if we hadn't all ceded our time to Grego to talk about his halibut!
Old 11-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #15
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useful Idiot View Post
I think a direct, specific, united request for a select number of changes to the map would have the best chance of any impact. Thoughts from the pros?
to everyone who made it to LA.

Only a few simple changes would need to happen. Allow pelagics is on the top of my list...

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #16
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useful Idiot
I think a direct, specific, united request for a select number of changes to the map would have the best chance of any impact. Thoughts from the pros?
I agree. None of us are pros though, pros get paid. We had support for our lj and scripps suggestions. Most seemed to think they were minor and reasonable. Meg just thought it was drastic. A final fuck you to all of us.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #17
habanero

Thank you Paul for your unrelenting sacrifice for this relatively small group of "consumptives".

It's not hard to imagine how much worse things would have turned out if the kayak community had not applied as much pressure as we did

We could have lost all access to what I consider the crown jewel for kayak fishing.
If restrictions on motorized boats only were on the table, I wonder what the opposition landscape would look like?
habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #18
newguy01

i thank you everybody that was on the meeting yesterday....

hrrr hrrr take all what you can and leave no prisoner hrrr hrrrr
newguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #19
Billy V

I'm only going to make a very brief statement regarding MLPA, and it pertains to "The People" who stood tall and fought for your rights.

I offer a sincere Thank You to every member of the Kayak and Spear Fishing Community that stepped up and fought to preserve our sport, and rights in the face of insurmountable odds.

You know who you are, and the list of names is too long for me to write this afternoon. I am taking some time to recover, and digest the information.

-------------------------------
If you look at the before and after, Map "C" and BRTF Option 2 for San Diego, I think you will be able to clearly see where gains were made.
-If you delve deeper into the allowed uses in the smca (blue areas) you should be able to conclude the outcome.

The gains made in these areas against strong opposition were hard fought, and we want to preserve them. If possible, improve them.

Thanks Guys. Lets take some time to unwind and go do what we love.

Billy V
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #20
JoeBeck

Agree, thanks everyone for all your work. We may have not got the outcome we desired but it is a whole lot better than it would have been if we didn't fight this F'd up process.

Time to enjoy some fishing, it is all currently open so get out there.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote