Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #1
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

La Jolla can show her true colors now and then!

Short report:
1 stud cuda
2 bonies
1 yellowtail
3 whales spotted
3 Hammerhead sightings
More than enough seals to go around
Swell and Surf pretty bad

Long report:
Hit the water on 9/16 to try my luck and pull on some fish the Jewel. Anytime you can hear the waves when you park, screams a wet launch (I initially parked in 15min parking because I thought the road to the ramp was closed, but later found out that there was just a detour and the launch was still open). Parked my truck on the beach, and just watched wave after wave pound the shore.

Oh well, gotta give a little to get a little. Went and parked my truck and back to the kayak. Finished up rigging and tried my luck paddling out. I took wave after wave over the bow, but refused to be deterred and eventually made my way out (with the recent heat wave, drying up was last on my mind). On to making bait, which was done in short order, with almost 20 perfect sized greenies (surprised all but 2 lived, those greenies sure are durable) to fill the tank. Went out and began the troll.>>
On my first drop, I eventually hooked up and landed what was my PB Cuda. This thing was massive. Not wanting to keep him, or even let him in the boat, I released boat and dropped back another mac. My clicker went off not much longer, but I missed the hookset, I left the bait in the vicinity, and was immediately picked up again. This thing had weight as my rod doubled over for all of 2 seconds. And just like that, my line went slack.

Upon inspecting my line, I noticed my line was sliced clean. I then proceeded to see about a 5ft-6ft Hammerhead cruise under my yak. He stayed around for a little while, and I just watched in awe. Although they are “relatively” harmless, (from what I hear) compared to other species when dealing with kayaks, I still puckered a bit.

After he went on his way, I began fighting dog after dog. I went out much further to just get away from those damn bait snatchers. And with the swell up, it wasn’t easy to spot them, and once you did, it was normally too late.

Threw the Kroc at a few boils while trolling to kill some time and hooked up with a couple Bones that lived to see another day. Nothing was happening out far, so I decided to head back near some fellow kayakers to see how they were doing. About halfway to them, my clicker starts screaming, I set the hook, and it is game on.>>
This wasn’t this fish’s first rodeo. He made a B-line strait down and wrapped me in the kelp. I tried and tried, but couldn’t free the fish. I think to myself, “so this is how the only real hookup of the day is going to be?” I then remember something that The Darkhorse taught me( I would love to share some intel, but this is how The Darkhorse puts food on the table). I went ahead and took his advice and I’m starting to feel that inviting pop through kelp stringer after kelp stringer.
“It actually worked, but there is no way that fish is still on!” I spoke too soon, as my rod doubles over. “Yes, I’m still on!” I then make “short” work of the fish, keeping my line as close to the water as I can (Thanks Siebler and Dannowar) as to not bring any attention to myself, and soon after, my second yellow from the yak is gaffed. I’m thinking somewhere between 15lbs-18lbs.

I troll around a little more for nada, and eventually that same size Hammerhead shows up. I lob my mac in his general vicinity and my rod double over again for another 2 seconds before his teeth made their mark. Once again, he proceeded to swim under my yak and around me for 30 or so seconds that seemed like an eternity.

Happy with my day overall, I tried pawning off the rest of my bait to some, but they were good on bait, so off they go to be caught by another sabiki. The entire time in I was worried about landing, which isn’t what PA’s are for, but timed the sets right (I think, or was just lucky) and was able to get in without incident.
Attached Images

Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
DanaPT

killing it. good for you!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #3
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Nice fish, sweet story. It's days like that you tell the grand kids one day! When you going back out again?
Old 09-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
momo fish

Nice! Couldn't help notice the slippers, looks comfy
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:25 PM   #5
octico

Good job! I almost done rigging my new yak. Just waiting for a few parts and I will be ready to go!
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
blitzburgh

Nice work man!
Old 09-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #7
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Nice! Couldn't help notice the slippers, looks comfy
MJ slippers from '09.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #8
ctfphoto

Another nice yellowtail there Andre. Thank you for the line.

I am really glad you and Cliff got one. Seems very open yesterday.

Yesterday was awesome with all the sea life, just amazing.

So, I tried again this AM. More epic fail, went over the falls backwards and flipped going OUT. Lost $200 prescription glasses. First time ever I jumped off my yak and swam in for the landing. Hurricane waves I guess.

Hooked into a very large YT which ran directly into the kelp after a nice head shaking sleigh ride.

At least I had Bonita for lunch.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
dlmoo
Junior

Way to go out there and congrats on another yellowtail
After reading about the initial conditions, I was curioius to hear about your landing.. Great to hear you made it back nicely lol
and you gotta love them jordans.. so comfy

-Daniel
dlmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #10
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
Another nice yellowtail there Andre. Thank you for the line.

I am really glad you and Cliff got one. Seems very open yesterday.

Yesterday was awesome with all the sea life, just amazing.

So, I tried again this AM. More epic fail, went over the falls backwards and flipped going OUT. Lost $200 prescription glasses. First time ever I jumped off my yak and swam in for the landing. Hurricane waves I guess.

Hooked into a very large YT which ran directly into the kelp after a nice head shaking sleigh ride.

At least I had Bonita for lunch.
Flipped going out. Damn, sounds worse than yesterday. Chris, what's really going on. Farming isn't in your nature, at least from your stats.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:33 AM   #11
Aaron&Julie

Nice report.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:57 AM   #12
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

Very nice to meet you Andre on Tuesday. Your fish actually inspired me to stay out there. I was frustrated with so little bait and then tangled up sabikis from all the bonita... but after seeing your catch, right near me.... well, I got re-invigorated, and then caught the one you saw on the beach. It ended up at 28 pounds after being bled. A very nice one.

You had quite the day! And yep, those !$!@#$ seal were driving me nuts. Lucky I had plenty of macs, or I would have been insanely mad.

I enjoyed your tale now you enjoy the tail!

See you out there.... and we both know Chris will catch plenty more.... but a tough week for him! You know we both loaned him some line, and we both caught YT. Next time you see Chris, loan him some more line!
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #13
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaquinn View Post
Very nice to meet you Andre on Tuesday. Your fish actually inspired me to stay out there. I was frustrated with so little bait and then tangled up sabikis from all the bonita... but after seeing your catch, right near me.... well, I got re-invigorated, and then caught the one you saw on the beach. It ended up at 28 pounds after being bled. A very nice one.

You had quite the day! And yep, those !$!@#$ seal were driving me nuts. Lucky I had plenty of macs, or I would have been insanely mad.

I enjoyed your tale now you enjoy the tail!

See you out there.... and we both know Chris will catch plenty more.... but a tough week for him! You know we both loaned him some line, and we both caught YT. Next time you see Chris, loan him some more line!
I was a pleasure fishing with you as well. That fish you had was a stud! Yea, those seals were on their A game that day. Will definitely keep some line just for Chris!!
Old 09-18-2014, 08:36 AM   #14
ful-rac
Emperor

Geeez catch a few more yellows and you'll be the new king of la jolla! Can you ever go back to the bay ever again?
Old 09-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #15
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Geeez catch a few more yellows and you'll be the new king of la jolla! Can you ever go back to the bay ever again?
With La Jolla and SD bay both 15 min from me, I can't see it in the near future. That bay does have some nice Halibut, but why have chicken when you can have steak.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #16
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Geeez catch a few more yellows and you'll be the new king of la jolla!
Seriously! I saw a Cadillyak on DUBS parked on the street and new there'd be a clinic goin on out there.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #17
FISH11

Congrats on the Yellow Cadillyak, seems there is always things to see at La Jolla that make it a special trip. Some times the launch is tough and others it's the landing then some times it like Lake La Jolla. Everytime I end up going some where else for a change of pace, I end up saying to myself " I should have gone to La Jolla".