Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-09-2011, 05:51 AM   #1
Regor
Greg

Completely unrelated to fishing - Your Username

Yes, the bite has been slow,,,, and I have been out there trying to increase the odds.

As I read all the threads and posts, I see some interesting names that I often wonder "What in the world does that mean". Some are self explanatory, but some .......

If your bored, reply back with your explanation

Mine:
It's 1991 and I'm logging onto a Bulletin Board via my 4800 Baud Modem (does anyone even remember what that is ), and it's the start of the need for a username/password.

Being very uncreative, I took my name and modified it:
"Gregory" dropping the 1st and last letter leaves me with "Regor".

And it's been my username online for 20 years now.

Greg (aka Regor)
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
walrus

Walrus,

Fat, slow, loves the water. He can't catch fish very well, but does pretty good with clams, mussels, and slow moving sea creatures.

Doesn't fish much in winter months, because that time is committed being on ice and snow enjoying the winter enviroment where few dare to tread.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:23 AM   #3
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
As I read all the threads and posts, I see some interesting names that I often wonder "What in the world does that mean". Some are self explanatory, but some ....... If your bored, reply back with your explanation
A long time ago, back on the first day when I first got on the web I went right to a So. Cal. fishing message board that I found through a search engine and posted a local Redondo halibut report. It was back before logins or set message board usernames, and some guy who turned out to be one of the "board gurus" got bent out of shape because I was using the wrong gear in his opinion. Stren 17lb Fluorocarbon instead of his standard big game 30 pound mono, and he called me a liar and said I did not know anything about fishing the area I was talking about, and then accused me of being someone (another poster) who I was not.

Not to be deterred I said: "I'm Jim Day." "I know Redondo like the back of my hand, and I don't have to lie about who I am or what I catch on the internet just to get attention from some dumb f__ks who probably spend more time arguing online then fishing"...

To the Gurus credit he took it in stride, and later down the line we became friends and even fished together for halibut. (of course I out-fished him)

Oddly over a decade later I had a very similar experience which relates to how I got on the kayak boards. I posted my first real Kayak Halibut report with this Redondo Halibut ...

On the boards I then frequented..You can actually still see the reports here...
http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/in...shing-yak.html

and here...
http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/V...D=48187&page=1

Out of the forty odd replies to those post there was one negative one. Some guy, this time local internet "kayak board guru" got bent out of shape and actually signed up with a new account under a bogus name to slam me because I was using the wrong gear etc... (sound familiar?) ......and then demanded to know why I was posting kayak reports on a mainstream fishing boards rather then a kayak board.

Here's his actual post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy ..oar
....Dont you think a flying gaff is more suited to marlin or threshers?seeme like a waste of time for a cal.halibut,no matter how big it is.ive caught 3halis over 40lbs and at least 6 over 30lbs,.. in my kayak,, and would not want to use a flying gaff,once i gaff it, i want the fish under control,no thanks,why arent you posting this under a kayak website?
At the time I did not even know about kayak boards, so I traced the guy back to one of them (I'm not going to name names) and reposted the report there just to piss him off, and in contrast to the Internet boat Guru1. Internet Kayak Guru2 and his buddies have been stirring up trouble for me on the kayak boards ever since.

I guess you could say some things change, some things never change, and some things once set in motion seem inevitably go where they go, and you can't do much about it.

At any rate I got stuck with my real name on the boards after that first day. In hindsight I just didn't know any better, and for better or worse I never felt the overwhelming need to change it since then

So that's my story... Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 02-09-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:49 AM   #4
old_rookie

old_rookie - I figured I'm probably older than most around here.... and I have not been fishing very long - a few times with dad when I was a kid... a few times as an adult - but just recently started 'investing' in it - so that's the rookie part - plus still learning from all of you.

I'm starting to think with the slow fishing and more posts 'off-topic' if the admins here should put up another Forum section for Off-Topic posts.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #5
Kaijuu
"Floater"

Monster

I took the name, Kaijuu. It is a Japanese word for monster.

Its a shorter version of Kaibutstu, what I was called by the locals when I lived in Japan. I stand 6'2", 195 lbs, a bit taller than the average Japanese male back in the mid 70s'. Kai, short for either above mentioned names, my pups name, at 120 lbs and a bit psyco, he is truly a Monster.
Kaijuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

dsafety is a shortened version of my company name, Diamond Safety Concepts. The nickname might not make sense to anyone else but it is easy for me to remember. This is an important consideration for those of us who are AARP eligible.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

Back in '92 I bought a small ice company in El Cajon, ironically I moved here from North Dakota in the 80s to get away from the brutal cold and ended up spending a significant amount of time in walk in freezers. All day long at work I'd hear "The Iceman is here" or the never gets old "The Iceman Cometh" 17 years later I went from ice to polyethylene but Polyethylene Man just does not have the same ring to it. My first posts were on the PBers "Buddy Board" and www.yakfishing.com

Old 02-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #8
Ed
Fringe Head

Mom came up with mine.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
Hunters Pa

My first-born's name is Hunter, hence Hunters Pa. Since then a daughter, Sierra, has been added but sticking with the original.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #10
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Mom came up with mine.

We are the simple ones Ed.

Yep mine is not exciting either, just my last name.

Its become my standard on the boards however I have had several others including "Siebler Elf" (thanks to Drew) and Csueper Jeanyus (Thanks to Nate and other OEX crew plus the Hooters girls in Long Beach).

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #11
taggermike

At the time I registered for BWE I worked at the Hubbs white seabass hatchery. I did many things there but a big part of my job was tagging the juvanile WSB with coded wire tags prior to thier release. I think I tagged almost a million of the damn things, hence the taggermike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #12
robmandel

no idea
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #13
WahooUSMA

Wahoo - Ultimate "bucket list" fish that has eluded me on every Cabo trip - USMA-The Long Grey Line - United States Military Academy - Therefore, BEAT NAVY!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #14
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Wiredantz was the name of my computer fixing company, I am more commonly known as Darknachos.

When i registered on the board i put Wiredantz instead of Darknachos because i still use my wiredantz e-mail.

My license plate on my car says D Nachos and it was just a name i thought about when i was playing Starwars Galaxies (an online playing game)

Last edited by wiredantz; 02-09-2011 at 11:59 AM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #15
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
Wiredantz was the name of my computer fixing company, I am more commonly known as Darknachos.

When i registered on the board i put Wiredantz instead of Darknachos because i still use my wiredantz e-mail.

My license plate on my car says D Nachos and it was just a name i thought about when i was play Starwars Galaxies (an online playing game)
should be changed to "burnin paddle" or something like that the way you paddled off the cursed X Factor last weekend.
Mtnbykr2...been my email address for years, before the kayak obsession came over me I was riding cross country and downhill mountain bikes, I still have one bike that I cannot part with, don't ride that much anymore though, cause in my spare time I am OTW, whale watching,,,lol....b
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #16
Deamon

Back in the day, I had it all down with the gear and a 20' Mako/150 Yamaha, hanging with my best friend slaying anything with gills. Two daughters came along, both playing big time club soccer and I told my buddy...dude, I think I'm done for a while. Hung the salt rods in the rafter, sold my half of the boat and then the float tube and now the yak have become my friend. Anywhere and everywhere looking for that quick fix. So the older daughter gets a damn nice soccer scholarship to Wake Forest...Deamon Deacons. Same guy tells me about this website...boom: Deamon. She's since transferred out of there.

I WILL ride the sleigh this year...

Last edited by Deamon; 02-09-2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #17
driftwood

driftwood.

It took me a whole year to learn how to land my kayak without flipping.
One afternoon, I flipped coming back from a long day of fishing.

I rolled down that big wave all the way to the sandy beach! A tourist saw me and said i looked like Driftwood washing up the beach.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:36 PM   #18
senojmj
Paddle, Fish, Repeat

my name is Jeffrey M. JONES.
Start with the S in Jones and go backwards.
SENOJ M J= senojmj.
I love when people try to sound it out. Pretty much no one has that as a user name on any website and easy to remember, for me anyways. It is funny because I often wonder "how did they come up with that name?" Great idea for a post.

Paddle, Fish, Repeat.
senojmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #19
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Yes, the bite has been slow,,,, and I have been out there trying to increase the odds.

As I read all the threads and posts, I see some interesting names that I often wonder "What in the world does that mean". Some are self explanatory, but some .......

If your bored, reply back with your explanation

Mine:
It's 1991 and I'm logging onto a Bulletin Board via my 4800 Baud Modem (does anyone even remember what that is ), and it's the start of the need for a username/password.

Being very uncreative, I took my name and modified it:
"Gregory" dropping the 1st and last letter leaves me with "Regor".

And it's been my username online for 20 years now.

Greg (aka Regor)
There use to be a Surf company called Jimmy Z and seeing how that is my name and the first initial of my last name people thought it was my company, which it was not, but I did wear and support the company. So I just stuck with that. the 123 part came with the early AOL chatroom days, most just call me JimmyZ and leave off the 123 part and that's perfectly fine.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #20
yakrider

My real name is Josh Rider...
I always used to say...
If I ever have a boy...
his first name would be Motor...
middle name, Cycle...
last name....
well...it's just a good thing I had a daughter...
I guess the next best thing was for me to be Yak Rider...
I know...I'm a dork!
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote