Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
Famous2146

Need help on First Ocean fishing kayak

Ok guys I've been looking into fishing kayaks for about two years now and I'm not getting any younger so I've decided this is the year I get my very fist kayak. I am 66" 175lbs and looking for a kayak that's gonna last for several years. My choices are the following. Trident Ultra 4.7, Native ultimate 14.5 solo, Native Manta ray 14 and the Jackson cuda 14. I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan but will be returning in the next couple weeks and would like to have a nice welcome home present waiting for me. Anyways any comments suggestions personal experiences are very welcome. I'm supper excited been out of the fishing game over a year so I'm ready to hit the water hard again. Thanx for all you're help
Famous2146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
tacmik

Trident ultra or the trident 13 or 15
Old 07-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
Trident ultra or the trident 13 or 15
If you're going for an Ocean Kayak I highly recommend the Trident 13 or 15. Great boats, very stable and fast to paddle, and they will last you for some years.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
CKallday71

Welcome back to the world! And thank you for your service! You need someone to fish with you can hit me up!

You might want to look into a Hobie Outback too. I absolutely LOVE mine!
Old 07-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
stephenG

I bought my hobie outback when I got from the Stan last year and love it. A little more money but the mirage drive is worth every penny.
stephenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
easyday

All sound like great choices to me, I love my x factor but at 6'6 it might be a tight fit. When you get back if you ever need a fishing buddy hit me up. I got my yak when I got back from the stan great therapy for my hand after getting shot over there. Also be sure to keep your eye out for the heroes on the water events oex puts on for vets. Its an awesome thing thwy do and its all free.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
Famous2146

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
All sound like great choices to me, I love my x factor but at 6'6 it might be a tight fit. When you get back if you ever need a fishing buddy hit me up. I got my yak when I got back from the stan great therapy for my hand after getting shot over there. Also be sure to keep your eye out for the heroes on the water events oex puts on for vets. Its an awesome thing thwy do and its all free.
That's actually how I got started on fishing when I got back in 05 from OIF it was recommended to me to try fishing and It worked wonders for me so I totally understand. As for the hobie I have read nothing but great reviews but it's a little out of my price range. In the future I will most defenately get one but for now 2000 is the most I would like to spend with a few accessories included. I am actually stuck between the Trident 15 and the Ultra. Anyone have any experiences with either one of these two? Pros cons personal experiences.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

You can pick up a used outback within your budget, one just sold for I think it was $1200 here a few days ago.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
Famous2146

Yes I was looking T it the only problem is I'm still gone and won't be back for a couple more weeks so I'm hoping to either pick up a new one and have it delivered and just be patient and pick one up when I get back.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
Famous2146

So what is some of the gear I am gonna need right of the bat to be able to get out there.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #11
Carp
(⌐■_■)--︻╦╤─ - - -

checklist

I'm new to this and have been checking off the items.

Stay safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famous2146 View Post
So what is some of the gear I am gonna need right of the bat to be able to get out there.
Carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #12
Famous2146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjeff View Post
checklist

I'm new to this and have been checking off the items.

Stay safe
So what's on you're list so far? Gear I can buy while still being out here. I'm actually anxious to get back out and do some much needed fishing.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #13
captnblood34

You come home in a few weeks so I understand there are 1.9 billion questions you have because your pumped to get after it. Go to OEX when you get back and test drive some yaks before you convince yourself looking through CL or other website that THAT is the one for you. 2nd there are many threads on here in regards to necessary gear starting out, started by guys just like you. 3rd your a lucky dog, you'll be here for the best fishing of the year and I'll be replacing you next weekend!

P.S. I have a Tarpon 120 and love it, don't forfeit your man card to a Hobie
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #14
YakMedic

I'm not sure how soon you will actually be back, but Heroes on the Water is hosting it's next event on July 27th. Come on out we have all the gear and multiple kayaks for you to paddle if you don't already have your own by then.

It's a good day to spend on the water, everything is provided for you. If you have any questions shoot me a msg.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #15
Famous2146

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMedic View Post
I'm not sure how soon you will actually be back, but Heroes on the Water is hosting it's next event on July 27th. Come on out we have all the gear and multiple kayaks for you to paddle if you don't already have your own by then.

It's a good day to spend on the water, everything is provided for you. If you have any questions shoot me a msg.
Sadly enough I return right around that time frame so I'm hopping that I make it back in time but that's out of my control. I would love to attend this event since I do appreciate all the support so I'm crossing my fingers hopping to make it back on time.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #16
Famous2146

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnblood34 View Post
You come home in a few weeks so I understand there are 1.9 billion questions you have because your pumped to get after it. Go to OEX when you get back and test drive some yaks before you convince yourself looking through CL or other website that THAT is the one for you. 2nd there are many threads on here in regards to necessary gear starting out, started by guys just like you. 3rd your a lucky dog, you'll be here for the best fishing of the year and I'll be replacing you next weekend!

P.S. I have a Tarpon 120 and love it, don't forfeit your man card to a Hobie
What branch and where are you coming into. If by any chance you're in my area we can maybe meet up and shot the shit a little over some coffee. Hit me up either on here or by PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:41 AM   #17
Famous2146

Does anyone have any experience with the Malibu X-Factor or the Stealth 14? I'm interested to hear about these two as well as the Trident 15 thanx.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #18
Yakly

Welcome aboard and welcome back!!!! Thanks for protecting our country!!!! I did 10 years myself so its always a pleasure hearing guys come home.

Now to the fishing stuff, I'd say the OK 15, I looked at one myself many times before going with the x-factor. I think everyone hit all the strong points on the yak so I don't have to repeat. Another cool thing that almost sold me is that you can get it in urban camo. I still love all the military stuff!!!!!!!!
Yakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #19
Yakly

I have an xfactor and its awesome. Had the forward hatch plummed for the livewell. Very stable, fast enough and a lot of room ( for a kayak). I have more than enough storage space so overall, I'm very pleased. Great product....
Yakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #20
Famous2146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakly View Post
Welcome aboard and welcome back!!!! Thanks for protecting our country!!!! I did 10 years myself so its always a pleasure hearing guys come home.

Now to the fishing stuff, I'd say the OK 15, I looked at one myself many times before going with the x-factor. I think everyone hit all the strong points on the yak so I don't have to repeat. Another cool thing that almost sold me is that you can get it in urban camo. I still love all the military stuff!!!!!!!!
I really like the fact that you can truly store you're rods in the hull for takeoff and return. As for the X I like Tha fact that it's 3" wider and more stable. The stealth has me sold with the amount of enclosed storage, bait tank stability. Still leaning towards the Trident but keeping an eye on both really. Doing the research listening to everyone who posts reviews and personal experiences. Thanx everyone