Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
FISHIONADO

Does Corey look better with a 69 year old body?
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

don't forget you can still catch your bait in the scripps area....

I usually catch bait using a flylined 2/O hook... its funny how the mackerel hook themselves through the nose everytime

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
j mo

What are the regs for that? If you do catch a yellow or halibut while making bait? Are you supposed to release? What if you cant, I once foul hooked a YT at blacks in the gill. Zero chance of survival.... Can you keep bycatch in that case?
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
dos ballenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by j mo View Post
What are the regs for that? If you do catch a yellow or halibut while making bait? Are you supposed to release? What if you cant, I once foul hooked a YT at blacks in the gill. Zero chance of survival.... Can you keep bycatch in that case?
good question. Legally I don't think you could keep it, regardless of its potential to survive...

I'm would assume you're supossed to cut the line immediately, but I doubt there are any rules or regulations that have been written up to address such a case.

Legally I don't think anyone could prove anything in regards to this kind of situation.

This is one of the biggest reasons why I'm pissed off about the Scripps area being closed.

It doesn't make any sense to close the area to pelagics but leave it open to coastal pelagics.

This is just another example of how the whole MLPA process was flawed, biased, and twisted by the enviros.

The stupid enviros don't even know the difference between what making bait and catching fish looks like!

Its just stupid.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
mbaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
good question. Legally I don't think you could keep it, regardless of its potential to survive...

I'm would assume you're supossed to cut the line immediately, but I doubt there are any rules or regulations that have been written up to address such a case.

Legally I don't think anyone could prove anything in regards to this kind of situation.

This is one of the biggest reasons why I'm pissed off about the Scripps area being closed.

It doesn't make any sense to close the area to pelagics but leave it open to coastal pelagics.

This is just another example of how the whole MLPA process was flawed, biased, and twisted by the enviros.

The stupid enviros don't even know the difference between what making bait and catching fish looks like!

Its just stupid.
I think it is funny that the MLPA uses the term "coastal pelagic" to refer to bait, because to me WSB is a coastal pelagic.

To your question as to why coastal pelagics are the only think allowed for take, my understanding is that the area was suppose to be a full SMR (zero take) and the Efferingham(sp) brothers said they need the area to make bait and your lot (the kayakers) fought hard to keep the right to make bait at the pier and canyon. And the game warden who parks at base of the pier or watches from the top of blacks knows the difference between a sardine and a yellowtail.
mbaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
dos ballenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaha View Post
I think it is funny that the MLPA uses the term "coastal pelagic" to refer to bait, because to me WSB is a coastal pelagic.

To your question as to why coastal pelagics are the only think allowed for take, my understanding is that the area was suppose to be a full SMR (zero take) and the Efferingham(sp) brothers said they need the area to make bait and your lot (the kayakers) fought hard to keep the right to make bait at the pier and canyon. And the game warden who parks at base of the pier or watches from the top of blacks knows the difference between a sardine and a yellowtail.
true... wsb should be reclassified realistically...

I knew why it was left open to catching bait....

It just doesn't make sense to me that you would allow big boats like Evingrahms to come in and purse seine a ton of sardines when you won't let a few recreational fishermen catch one or two yellowtail.

Yeah, I would hope the warden knows the difference between a yellowtail and mackerel up close.

But I doubt the warden would be able to tell from distance if you were catching bait, soaking bait, or hooked up to a big fish..... its pretty easy to hide a bendo if you try.

I have been less than a 1/4 mile from people that were bent on big yellowtail and I didnt even notice!

Old 01-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
PAL

Funny thing, coastal pelagics (bait) in the MPA north of the pier is open only to recreational take. When they cut that deal to allow us to continue fishing bait at the pier (a concession we ripped from them - Tyler), Everyingham was supposed to have access too. Somehow they "lost" that part.

If you ask the DFG, they'll tell you fish that aren't legal to take (yellowtail north of the pier) must be released even if that means dead. The same principle rules rockfish. Say you pull up one too many bloated salmon grouper or canary, you've got to leave it as a floater or risk a fine.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote