Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-11-2023, 08:11 AM   #1
TurtlePV
Junior

Cool LJ 4/4 PM & 4/9 AM

Tuesday 4/4 PM

Pulled onto the beach around 2pm. Several rental kayaks/kayakers were bobbing like corks in the surf. Wind swell was 3-5 @ 8 seconds. Terrible conditions. Strapped everything down and said, "Fuck it, I'm already here."
Attempted launch at 2pm. Should have known better. I couldn't make it through the outside breakers. I didn't roll but did have to bail, hold on, and ride back in until my feet found sand again.

Sunday 4/9 AM

Pulled onto beach at 5:30am. Much more reasonable 1-2 foot surf. Headed down to the pier to make bait. Water was cold (55ish). Lots of dolphin, dog, and bird activity. Caught nothing at the pier. Went straight out over the canyon into cold blue water then headed south trolling an iron. When I was closer to the condo in brown water I filled my well with candy bar Greenies and Spanish. That was the end of "catching" for the day. No takers on the dropper loop or Tady Squid photo yo-yo. Everything looked right, but the water was cold. Landed at 11am. Felt good to knock that rust off. Looking forward to things warming up.

(Oh, I was also fishing upside down/I'm too lazy to fix the pic)
Attached Images

Last edited by TurtlePV; 04-11-2023 at 08:21 AM.
TurtlePV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 02:16 PM   #2
f'nsabiki

At least you tried. With the lack of kelp it's hard to form a game plan.

Last edited by f'nsabiki; 04-11-2023 at 02:16 PM. Reason: sp
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 06:34 PM   #3
FISH11

I've been watching the weather forecast and the LJ Beach Cam and when the weather got nice at home and sunny, the high surf passed but the heavy marine layer came in hard at LJ. It is very hard to get motivated, when it looks cold and drizzly at LJ. Much worse are the low fish counts. Hey at least, you weren't one of the guys on the 1 1/2 day charter boat a couple days ago with a fish count for the boat of 4 Bonitos. That is Crazy!. Tight lines!
Old 04-12-2023, 01:44 AM   #4
JohnMckroidJr

Good to see a report. There was a 48lb personal best yellowtail taken in LaJolla recently, posted on other social media.
Attached Images

JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 04:39 AM   #5
TurtlePV
Junior

48lb yellow?! That's an old fish. Bet she was grumpy as hell.
TurtlePV is offline   Reply With Quote