Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
Fisherman4454
Junior

Leo Carrillo 7/16 AM

Hey guys, I've been biting off your guys' tips for about a month so I figured it was time to contribute as best I could..

To start off, a little about my self- recently re-caught the fishing bug, and even more recently bought my first kayak, so my learning curve has been a bit steep but I'm slowly figuring things out.

Anyways I launched about 7am at the stairs. Swell was really minor so launching was a breeze. My plan was to make bait so I could test out my brand new bilge pump powered bucket (thanks to everyone who posted their bait tanks), and head to deep hole. Usually I have no problem catchings macks and smelt, but the only thing the sabiki caught was a legal calico.. Amd he wasn't snagged, he was hooked nicely in his upper lip. Guess I can't complain about that right? I was about to abandon my plan and go for bass, but I ran into a jet skier who said squid were everywhere at deep hole, so I thought I'd see if I could snag a few w the sabiki

When I got out there, dolphins sea lions, an birds were having an all u can eat calamari brunch. I was only able to snag 1, dropped it down and within 30 seconds it gets taken by a nice sand bass. No more squid for me though so I called it a day. Caught one more nice calico on the way back on a brown 5" big hammer, but still nothing on the sabiki besides the big (jack?) smelt.

So the moral of the story is bring your squid jigs to LC.. Oh well, now that I know the paddle to deep hole is doable, I'll get em next time..
Conditions were okay.. 15kts wind from the south; ~2 ft swell; Part cloudy; water was suuuper clear, at least 20 feet vis.. Sorry about no pics
Toby
Fisherman4454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
YakMedic

Welcome to BWE, nice report. Leo is a nice spot, check out deer creek also. Lots of fun up that way.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
mtnbykr2

Thanks for the report and welcome to the addiction, see ya otw sometime
Old 07-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

welcome to BWE! i have never heard of leo cabrillo (i thought your post was going to be about a leopard shark caught at cabrillo beach ) but it sounds like it was a good day. legal calico and sandie is good.

i always bring a few squid and shrimp as well as a frozen mac with me on my trips. sometimes fishing for bait is tough unless you have pieces of bait on your sabiki rig. i've been out in Newport once.. fished for 2 hours for bait with nothing. a guy comes by and says "here, take this".. gives me a squid... and then the mac fishing was non-stop.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
Redeyejedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman4454 View Post
Hey guys, I've been biting off your guys' tips for about a month so I figured it was time to contribute as best I could..

To start off, a little about my self- recently re-caught the fishing bug, and even more recently bought my first kayak, so my learning curve has been a bit steep but I'm slowly figuring things out.

Anyways I launched about 7am at the stairs. Swell was really minor so launching was a breeze. My plan was to make bait so I could test out my brand new bilge pump powered bucket (thanks to everyone who posted their bait tanks), and head to deep hole. Usually I have no problem catchings macks and smelt, but the only thing the sabiki caught was a legal calico.. Amd he wasn't snagged, he was hooked nicely in his upper lip. Guess I can't complain about that right? I was about to abandon my plan and go for bass, but I ran into a jet skier who said squid were everywhere at deep hole, so I thought I'd see if I could snag a few w the sabiki

When I got out there, dolphins sea lions, an birds were having an all u can eat calamari brunch. I was only able to snag 1, dropped it down and within 30 seconds it gets taken by a nice sand bass. No more squid for me though so I called it a day. Caught one more nice calico on the way back on a brown 5" big hammer, but still nothing on the sabiki besides the big (jack?) smelt.

So the moral of the story is bring your squid jigs to LC.. Oh well, now that I know the paddle to deep hole is doable, I'll get em next time..
Conditions were okay.. 15kts wind from the south; ~2 ft swell; Part cloudy; water was suuuper clear, at least 20 feet vis.. Sorry about no pics
Toby

nice!
i was out sunday, 1/4 mile north, launched at heavens. but quite similar experience.... got the itch to fish again and also got a yak.
Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
taggermike

Smelt aren't the best bait, but if that's what you get you should use them. Halibut eat them fairly well and the first kayak yellow I caught in La Jolla was on a jack smelt. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
Fisherman4454
Junior

Thanks guys. Good idea w the squid, definitely adding that to my pre launch list in the future.. Any tricks to catching Macks w the sabiki? Or is it always take what you can get?

Jedi, where's heavens at? I've been wanting to launch at deer creek, but I've been nervous to try launch/land anywhere but Carrillo since its a really mellow break there.

After fishing la jolla these past 2 days, Malibu fishing is going to feel extra slow.. I need to get some spots dialed in ASAP
Fisherman4454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
bigdez93
Junior

Toby, thanks for the report! I've been wanting to try Leo Carrillo for awhile now so I'm going out in the morning. Feel free to join if you can. I'll be on a yellow stealth 14! Hopefully I'll be able to contribute to the fish reports here on BWE!
bigdez93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deep hole, leo carrillo, malibu