Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
DanaPT

12/24 Dana Point

Had a few hours fall on my lap on Friday, so I decided to make use of the time and pass it on the water.

Was thinking of a sunrise Doho beach launch, but the recent storms have pretty much F'd the beach up. The beach was awash in bamboo, trees & limbs, and all sorts of stuff carried by the storm run-off (san juan creek). Not to mention the impassable mini canyon of a river bed carved into the sand from the run-off.

So I started from baby beach towards the harbor mouth. I had to endure a foul stench and a miserable view of the all the crap in the water from baby beach to the mouth of the harbor. I saw it all, a floating dead frog, plastic bottles, wash debri, sometimes stacked high on the rock jetty. What a bummer.

Outside the harbor out towards the headland, still pretty stinky. The water was brown and red. Couldn't see maybe 6 inches below the surface.

Finally outside the headland, my fish finder was going nuts. All sorts of bait fish (I think), but I couldn't pull together any bait. So I fished the swim bait for one 12 inch calico (released).

On Chirstmas day, walked DoHo beach with plastic bag in hand picking up all sorts of plastic crap. In the 20 years I've lived in the area, never seen it like this. It will be interesting to see who, how and when the beach will cleaned.

I noticed the Red and orange signs warning people to avoid contact with the water on the beach. I guess Laguna Beach may have had a sewage spill. Nice. . . that may have explained the poo smell.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
JimE
Junior

I walked DH beach on the 24th; there was a new sandbar created 400' into the surf on the se side of San Juan Creek, and a big leak in the pipe located under the jetty on the nw bank of the creek - effluent from SCWD treatment plant?
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

On friday when i went out to Marina del Rey to kayak fish, i saw a bunch of Doritos Bags and a huge condom floating in the water. What a huge mess.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
bentrod1

People are idiots

It makes me sick when I see and hear about all the crap (literally and figuratively) that ends up on our beaches and in our fishs' bellies. Unfortunately all the idiots who drop their gum wrappers, cans, doritos bags and cigarettes etc. on the ground don't give a shit about where it ends up.

When I see someone using all of our home as a trash can, I make it a habit to pick up their discards and politely hand it back to them. Hell, I've even picked up someones cigarette and "politely" tossed it back into their car after they tossed it out in a parking lot... You should see the expressions you get .
As far as the broken pipes... I wish I had a response for those pricks.

People are idiots, have a Happy New Year anyway
bentrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote